1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Christmas Day Dinning

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by whiteij7544, Sep 9, 2009.

1. whiteij7544

whiteij7544 Earning my ears

Anyone got any tips about dinning on Christmas day would really love to Dine in one of the parks on the 25th December.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Welcome to Disney secrets! :wave:

We dined at Crystal Palace MK last time and didn't find it that good to be honest. Busy and nothing special. Then of course you have to be in the park early in case it gets to capacity and they stop people going in.

Which park were you thinking of being in?

3. whiteij7544

The wife is very keen on being in MK on Christmas Day. What about the restaurant in Cinderella's Castle.

We could however go somewhere else then go to MK.

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Christmas Day is incredibly busy in MK (and the other parks too, but especially MK) and sometimes it will close to guests because it has reached capacity. If you have a reservation for a meal during the time it is closed, you will not be allowed in for your reservation, and some of those reservations require credit card holds. Not sure how they handle the no show charge if you aren't allowed in. :unsure:

So, all that to say, if you want MK, make the reservation (ADR) as soon as you can, and plan on being in the park at opening until the time of your reservation. That's the only way you'll be certain to be there for the meal.

Otherwise, try another resort, or another park. You could then go to MK in the morning, and then have your meal elsewhere. The resort restaurants tend to do a better job of holiday meals than the park restaurants, but that is just my opinion!

We've had lovely Christmas meals at resort restaurants where most menus feature at least one added selection for the holiday. Sometimes, WDW will put on additional buffets to handle large capacity (like the times they've done a buffet for the holiday at the convention center area in the Yacht and Beach Club).

If the meal is usually a buffet style, then WDW will add selections that are usually part of a traditional (whatever that really means! :D ) holiday meal. :yes:

If I were going to dine in a park restaurant, I'd choose one of the World Showcase restaurants. :yes: We had an wicked fun meal at Germany one New Year's Eve. :yes: But then, in our opinion, the World Showcase is the place to be on New Year's Eve! :D

So, all that to say, have a great time, but be prepared to be at MK early, and to have to hold your ADR with a credit card that will charge you a no show fee if you don't cancel correctly. :yes:

5. whiteij7544

Thank you for that, it was very helpful and i think we will follow your advice and do MK in the morning and have our meal elsewhere. We had already thought about going to Epcot/World Showcase on New Years Eve.

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We are planning on Christmas Day at MK and NYE at Epcot too.
    However, a couple of years back we were on our way to MK for Christmas Day and there were signs along the roads letting us know that MK was full to capacity and this was at 10.30am.

7. whiteij7544

Thanks for that, where did you end up going. Also where are you staying?

8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We're staying in a villa in Davenport.
    That particular Christmas Day we ended up at Epcot for the day. MK was, at the time we were on the road the only park at capacity so we just followed the road and ended up at Epcot with fish and chips for dinner :lol:
    We had reservations at Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner but had to cancel when we couldn't get in the park.

9. whiteij7544

We are staying at Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa in 3 bed apartment. In the past we have got to Disney Hotels.

So looks like Fish & Chips on Christmas day.:wiggle:

10. Tink

Make an ADR for Christmas at one of the resorts. :yes: You will have a lovely meal, and can still visit EPCOT or one of the other parks. :yes:

Yachtsman's Steakhouse is a lovely place for dinner, but may be hard to get. We had a surprisingly wonderful Christmas dinner one year at Cape May Buffet! They added all sorts of traditional foods to their usual buffet. We were STUFFED when we left and the cost wasn't too crazy.

Remember, WDW increases their meal prices at Christmas and other holidays now. :sigh:

Another nice place to try would be Artist Pointe. :yes: That might be hard to get too as many people find Wilderness Lodge to be the quintessential place to be for Christmas, but try for an ADR if you like. :yes:

I'd avoid the Wave. We didn't care for it at all, so can't imagine spending Christmas dinner there. Also, with some of the countries in the World Showcase, I can't imagine Christmas being too festive. Some of the countries don't celebrate Christmas, eh?

Germany, France, Mexico, Norway, Canada, UK, Italy... they would all be likely candidates for Christmas Dinner. :yes:

11. whiteij7544

Thanks again for your help, really glad I found this site. Is Cape May Buffet the one at the Beach Resort

12. Tink

Yes. It's a four sided buffet, with desserts at a separate area. One side is shellfish with usually salmon or tuna, also. Red potatoes, clam chowder, chili, corn on the cob. The next side is carved beef and the best breads you'll ever have (I don't know what they do with their corn bread but it is beyond delicious). The corner is meant for children, but anyone can serve themselves from the selections there. The third side is hot dishes including ribs, wicked good chicken, a beef dish, sausage and peppers, a pasta dish, mash, assorted other hot vegetables. The fourth side (or first, depending upon how you look at the square) is the cold selections/salad bar.

That's the regular buffet. For the holiday they add hot carved turkey, ham, stuffing/dressing, additional vegetables, and traditional desserts (pie selections, ect).

As you can tell, it's one of our favorite "standard nothing fancy" buffets. :yes: Then again we LOVE steamed clams, mussels and shrimp. :D :D

13. whiteij7544

Sounds great, so all you have to do for the Cape May is book you don't have to be staying there? You also mentioned a Steakhouse where is that and again can you just visit.

14. Tink

You can book a meal (called making an ADR) at any WDW resort without staying there. Same for any park restaurant, but with the park of course, you have to pay to enter.

Yes, you can just visit. That is one of the favorite things to do; tour the resorts at Christmas time and view all the beautiful decorations. Some of the deluxe resorts have amazing candy and or gingerbread creations!!!

I mentioned the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. It's in the Yacht Club, the sister resort to the Beach Club. Again, you can visit and explore, or make an ADR for that restaurant too.

15. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Gotta agree with Tink here. Cape May is a great place for a casual meal, food is really good and you get to draw on the table cloths!! The Yachtsman is slightly more formal (but not much) and does a wicked steak. Both restaurants are among our favourites but then the BC is a fantastic resort IMHO.

16. Tink

:yes: Yep! We do love our BC don't we Val? :D :D

There is the Yacht Club Galley in the Yacht Club too, but we tend to steer clear of there. We had the weirdest, worst service meal there ever!!! It was so very bad it was clear that something terribly unusual was going on, but it was like having stepped into the twilight zone. :eek: One server was so nasty to her table (they had been waiting for TWO hours for their simple supper) she was bent over at the waist SHRIEKING at the table! :eek: We nearly died. We stayed only because it was a free dinner courtesy of DVC as our room wasn't ready on time.

Should that ever happen again, we'll just wait quietly for our room, no dinner thanks! :eek: :lol: