1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Game Confession Time - My Own WD Secret

Discussion in 'General' started by Tony G, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Oh, and thanks to everyone who knew for keeping my little WD secret, I appreciate it.

...Unless one of you leaked it to Diane, in which case I will ceaselessly deride and vilify you until the day I die, or get bored, whichever happens sooner. :D

Thanks to all who played too, I really enjoyed it!

2. Tony G

Yes, I have broadband (far quicker than mine at home!).

My trip is mainly going to be a DIY trip - the villa has a wonderful movie room. Naturally, I therefore want to gut it and start again! :rolleyes:

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

they are not blurry! you narna! (didn't know how to spell it!)

4. Tony G

You can't call me a narna! ...In public!

The pics I took are really blurry, the ones you saw were taken by a pro - they're great but a little old now.

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

ohhhh..ok! sorry :(

6. Tony G

No need to apologise, hun - you're right!

Thankfully, the villa does look the same as when the pics were taken, as it's been really well taken care of. I just don't like flaunting someone else's pics.

Mine will be on here soon enough!

7. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Yay!

8. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I'm really chuffed for you and to own something like that is a real dream ! That must have been quite some range rover you were looking at !

I reserve the right however to be a little disappointed that you are neither a cereal loving Tiger, a soap factory owning megalomaniac or the brother of Tony H ( who then went on to drop the Tony and front up Steps )

But a villas good too (ish)

;)

Tony G likes this.
  9. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Nah, nobody squealed Tone. ;)

10. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Blimey just been to a few websites selling villas in Orlando. :eek: some of the prices are really very affordable and not that far from Disney either. Our dream of a place there to spend the odd month in retirement may not be a pipe dream after all ..

11. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

So then, what you're saying is that instead of renting at a resort for your upcoming holiday, you're just going to buy a villa? Excellent!

TONY!! What fantastic news!! I'm quite looking forward to seeing photos and learning more about your villa :) Congratulations! OH!! And it looks like we'll be in Florida at the same time after all!!?! Feel free to jump on the cruise when we dock in Canaveral :)

Tony G likes this.
  12. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Ooh ooh I can paint! Lots of painting then pool time... count me in!

I'm also good at drilling!

I can mix paste for wall papering and if it's lumpy I use the hand mixer to get the lumps out.

Tony G likes this.
  13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Yep we've been looking at that too! If not in a couple of years then when Jon retires in 9 years.

14. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Oh my gosh, how exciting for you! Which area have you bought in Tony?

15. Tony G

My villa is in Indian Creek, which is just off Formosa Gardens Boulevard. I decided on this location before I chose the villa itself, as it's so close to the parks, it feels like cheating! According to Google Maps, it's 4.24 miles from my front door to the Animal Kingdom entrance (which is the closest Disney park). There's even a dirt-track cut-through that avoids all the traffic on the US192.

Thank you all for your heart-warming comments - I was hoping the news would be a hit with you all and I'm typing this with a huge smile on my face. To all of those offering to help - thanks, and don't be surprised if I take you up on it!

So, let me start with the story of the blurry pictures. As I said, this was my third villa hunting trip - the first was tacked on to my holiday, where I was trying to see this villa I had seen on the internet. It was really different from others I'd stayed at, so it held an appeal for me. Shortly after my arrival in the UK, the villa was under offer and I'd lost it. As luck would have it, the buyers pulled out and I immediately seized the opportunity to throw my hat in the ring with an offer. My offer was accepted and the second trip was to inspect that villa after having put a deposit down on it. As I walked through it, nice as it was, it just wasn't for me. I withdrew my offer and continued my hunt. Frantically, my realtor and I searched for another place and we viewed over a dozen but nothing sparked my interest. I left Orlando feeling dejected and that I'd just spent £1000 of my villa fund on a wasted trip.

A couple of months later, I'd been researching and had decided on Indian Creek as a location - it was right on the doorstep of the parks, with a Publix (and a Flippers!) nearby. I also really liked the design of the houses. Focussed only on this location, I spotted a beautiful villa for sale but it was hugely over my budget. It had one of the largest pool decks I'd ever seen, the interior was beautifully designed, it had some trick features outside and best of all for me was that it had a movie room. Try as I did, I couldn't get it out of my mind, and I started wondering what I would have to do to afford it. I asked my realtor to view it on my behalf and she was gushing about it, which was a real surprise, as she is one of the most straight-laced, tell-it-like-it-is people I've ever met! Cut a long story short, my next trip was to inspect it after my offer was accepted (after a long negotiation).

When I landed, I faced a really long line at immigration. They had a system issue and we all ended up waiting two and a half hours before we even got to the baggage carousel - our suitcases were all lined up on the floor by the time we got to it. It was the longest time it's ever taken for me to exit MCO and I was shattered, having only slept a couple of hours the night before. Still, getting into my rental car (having wearily battled with one of MCO's most determined car rental agents over an upgrade) I found a little excitement. As I got nearer my hotel, the excitement grew and I found myself driving straight past the hotel and directly to the villa. I still remember being parked outside and looking at it from a distance thinking 'wow, I must really like it to be here, as tired as I am!'.

The next morning was the inspection and I was there half an hour early. I couldn't wait until the realtors showed up, so I started snooping around the outside. When they finally arrived, they found me, camera around my neck, photographing the driveway. As soon as I walked in, I knew. I rushed around the villa, not saying a word to either realtor, who both ended up awkwardly talking to each other in the lanai while I darted from room to room taking pictures (or trying to). Unknown to them, I was busy taking measurements for the improvements I'm going to make now! This was the one, it was stunning. I said yes 20 minutes later and I left wearing a proud grin.

...Until I saw my pictures on my MacBook!

MystikPiglit likes this.
  16. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

That sounds so exciting!

17. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It sounds like it really is a dream come true Tony. You have bought in a very good area, I have stayed in Formosa Gardens, Rolling Hills and Emerald Island (a bit further away). I know the shortcut you mean :D

Is Indian Creek the estate opposite Rolling Hills?

18. Tony G

Yes, that's the one, it's got the funky stone tile name plate.

...Boy, I didn't realise how long my post was when I typed it - sorry folks!

19. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I know exactly where it is, excellent location, you should have no trouble renting it, well if that's what you intend doing :lol:

20. Tony G

Wait til you see it ;)

It's a short term rental, so yes, it's available for rent. Currently (due to my lack of pictures), my management company are doing the bookings and it's doing really well - it's virtually booked solid for the next few months!