1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Game Confession Time - My Own WD Secret

Discussion in 'General' started by Tony G, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Did you find it on a site over here ? Would you mind sharing the site . If it's not the done thing to post the link here could you PM it.

We have been fantasy buying villas all last night :lol:

2. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

The first place to look for anyone looking to buy an existing property in the US are the generic sales websites. The US system is slightly different than the UK one, in that here, an estate agent will have a number of properties they are advertising. In the US, all realtors have access to a central database listing all of them. The generic sites list all homes for sale.

If it's not against the rules, the links are:

If it is against the rules, mods feel free to remove the links. Remember they should all be listing the same properties, so it really comes down to which user interface you prefer and what add-on features the site has.

My realtor, Wendy from IPG Realty, was exceptional as was everyone I met from that company. She was so honest and so patient (even when I had a hissy fit during the negotiations), she made the buying process really easy. It helps that she knows the UK system as well as the US system, which was really helpful for a newbie like me.

Skywatcher likes this.
  3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It's ok to post Tony :D

Tony G and Skywatcher like this.
  4. Skywatcher

Zillow has a cool app !

5. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

During the bottoming out of the real estate market here in the US recently I actually had to delete the zillow app...it broke my heart every time we pulled up the value of our home! Thankfully it's back on the rise now, but for a while there...ouch!

Tony...what a truly amazing story! I swear I could feel your excitement when you were talking about having driven past the hotel to sit in front of the villa!! I honestly cannot wait to see photos!!! Now then, about this movie room...you're not doing away with it are you?????

Tony G likes this.
  6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

I've packed Hubby's bags and he's at the kerb now................ soooooooo Tony... when are we running off into the sunset together?

7. Tony G

My spine still tingles a little when I think about it! It's the one and only time I'm glad I didn't take photos. Firstly because there were guests staying at the time and it would have been creepy! Secondly because it's a moment that is and will always be mine and mine alone. I can tell people but I can't show them a picture, they can't see the sky, the moonlight hitting the driveway, the feeling that the place was beckoning me, none of it. I know it sounds strange but it was a life-altering moment.

No, I'm not doing away with the movie room, I'm just re-doing it... Tony style. ;)

I'm hoping to do a(n almost) dailypost on here showing what I'm doing with the movie room when I get there - if I have any energy at the end of the day!

8. Wendy

We'd love to buy over there one day, I'd be really nervous about doing it though.

We've looked at houses a few times but never had the nerve to take it any further.

9. Tony G

*in Joey voice*

How you doin'?

Esmeralda and Beccaberry like this.
  10. Wendy

Excellent I can't wait to see them, you will be spoiling us, you do realise that we will all be green with envy :lol:

I can't wait to see what "Tony's style" is. Shall we try and guess, hah, there is your title for your next thread "What is Tony's Style" :D

11. Tony G

I can completely understand that. Deciding to buy a villa was much more difficult than deciding which villa to buy... even for someone as OCD as me! I'd decided it was something I wanted to do years ago, but I always thought I'd do it much, much later. It was a couple of events that led me to do it now:

1) I couldn't bring myself to pay so much of my heard-earned on a car that would depreciate so quickly.
    2) I was shopping for a villa in which to stay for my 2013 trip and some of the villa owners' answers to my queries kept making me think - 'I'd like to be on the other side of this conversation'.

12. Tony G

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

13. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Ha ha! I'm guessing budgie smugglers for the pool area and leopard skin rugs with black shiny nylon sheets on the bed... runs>>>>>>>>

14. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

you know it's not the cost of buying one it's the cost of maintaining it that worries me. Utility bills/insurance are so much more expensive as we found when we lived there, don't know whether they've increased at the same rate as ours though. The other thing is dealing with punters - to make it viable we'd have to rent it out when we weren't using it. So we continue to debate villa or DVC, i think Jon has resigned himself to the fact that I'm not going to go off Disney any time soon so is willing to look at it. At least with a villa we could have our own home somewhere. I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle. I keep saying i want to buy DVC then i crunch the figures and it's just not working out. Yes it's a lot cheaper than staying at a deluxe resort but i could stay somewhere else for a lot cheaper. Its not accommodation that is the expensive thing now it's the flights and the tickets. I honestly don't know what to do! Win the lottery I guess and then i can leave it empty for whenever i want to visit :lol:

15. Tony G

I suppose I deserved that after the mankini!

16. Skywatcher

Never the less you can but a 4 bed villa for less than the cost of a local beach 'hut' and whatever our us friends are imagining as a beach hut is our uk friends know I'm referring to a tiny wooden shed loosely chained to a rail.
    Yes there are taxes of course there are but it's insane. The app shows how prices have crashed and I'm genuinely sorry for the people who bought in 2007 !
    The idea of having somewhere that is yours that you can go to anytime and furnish as your own is intoxicating.

17. Skywatcher

Oh and 30,000 sq feet of land with a river running through it and bass fishing for 700 quid is insane !

18. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Yep, that'd be us (well, 2008 to be exact). It was painful to see for a while, really. The one silver lining is that in our particular case, we would have never qualified for a "traditional" loan at the time (no down payment, I had just relocated states AND jobs, we aren't married, etc), so the argument can be made that we would have never been able to buy the house we fell so deeply in love with in today's market because we wouldn't have been given loan. But at the time, they were handing out loans like candy at Halloween.

19. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I still say we should all go in and but a home at Golden Oaks. Then we could all timeshare our own house :)

20. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Now that sounds like an idea.