1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Coronado springs counter service?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by jojo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jojo

jojo Imagineer

Hi - we've heard that there are extra tips to pay at this resort for quick service? is that true and how much extra is it? I dont really understand why it would be different from other disney resorts but thats just what I've been told

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've not been over there in some time, but yes they do add a gratuity on the final cost of your purchase. I don't remember the percentage of the gratuity, and it used to be that if you complained to a manager, it would be taken off (but who really wants to complain).

It also used to be that the server brought your drinks and food to you too, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

It's too bad there is so much confusion surrounding the gratuities here, because as I recall, the food court really was quite nice.

3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

It use to be 10%. The extra was added as the servers bring drinks and clean up, if you eat there. Many, many times I took my food with me, I don't remember the 10% being added as I didn't use that 'service.' But who knows, maybe I just didn't see it.

From my experience the wait staff was not very good. However, the cooks and managers were fantastic!

I love the food there as well.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh don't get me started :lol:

I hate the lack of variety in Disney counter service places so coronado looked great! loads of options and nice tasty food but that stupid gratuity :(

Apparently it's because an outside company runs that food court but whatever it is, it's annoying because you don't expect to pay extra at a food court.

You collect your food yourself from one of the different islands and there really is a good choice :) it would be no hassle at all to just pick up your drink at the same time, but noooooo you have to ask for a coke or whatever and they dont give it to you on your tray because that would be too simple, they have to bring it to your table to justify the 10% service charge.

Sure you can argue it and they'll remove it but who wants to do that right?

IMHO it goes a long way to spoiling what would be one of the best food courts at Disney.

Anyway, if you can put that out of your mind, you'll find good quality tasty food there

5. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

When we sat in there, we didn't mind paying the gratuity. We always found the wait-staff friendly and helpful. Maybe it's because I smile and talk to them. :D
    Most of the time we would take-out our meals, you had to tell the Greeter that before entering, and then there was no gratuity added. Simple.:thumbsup:
    The choice and quality of the food is marvellous. :yes:

6. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

That was the one thing that put me off this resort. I will always tip if I think service deserves it but I don't do compulsory and for that reason won't eat there again :nono:

7. foreverducky

The food is sooooo good!

8. KatMark

KatMark Earning my ears

First, good news! The Coronado (CSR) is now selling the same mugs as the rest of the resorts. Although I preferred the "resort specific CSR mug," there were too many complaints from those doing split stays that they had to buy two different mugs.

Second, the gratuity is 15%. We have never paid it when on the dining plan (although others said they have). We normally stay at the CSR (we've stayed there seven of our last eight trips) and we usually only eat at the Pepper Market probably twice per visit (we are either at the parks or we eat at Siesta's at the pool). You can avoid the 15% gratuity by asking for a "to go" ticket and taking your food to eat outside by one of the tables by the lake (DH and I normally do this for breakfast); this is also a great way to see our resident friend, Glen, in the lake at the CSR.

[​IMG]

9. foreverducky

I just knew there were alligators in there. :yes:

10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

If it's a body of water, and it's in Florida, there IS a 'gator in it.

I once had a 'gator trapper tell me that. I believe it! :eek:

11. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

We stopped atCS to see it on our last trip and had breakfast there. I thought it was a lovely place. The CS does seem a little more expensive than usual. DH was a bit grumpy that day and not to impressed with it. But then again our whole trip last time was a disastor :slap:

12. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Oh boy! I have had one heck of a discussion with the manager of the Pepper Market over this one. We had the free dining plan here last year and were told on numerous forums that there was no tip necessary, but that it was 10% (or whatever you wanted to leave) for those not on the plan. We were there about 5 days and we thought all was going well when our server (Nelson I think) told us that everyone on the free ddp should leave a tip. I told him it wasnt so - I had done my research, but he told me (politely) I was wrong. I asked to speak to the manager and 20 mins later he came to talk to me. He said exactly the same- that 10% should be left by those on the free ddp! :nono: The conversation lasted for ages and I told him that there was a great deal of confusion over this one as everyone on Disney forums was saying that no tip should be paid on the free ddp. He persisted saying that the tip applied to everyone even those on the dp and free dp. He told me that the policy re: tips ahd changed from the previous year.
    I was totally fed up but when I came back I posted about the tip being payable (on a large American site I should say) and was almost beaten to death over it! A senior server had told me, the manager had told me but the 'experts' said it aint so. I swore it was the last time I would hand out any advice on the CS but I feel the need to say it again! :lol:
    So yes, a tip is expected, but as for the free ddp, who knows!!:unsure::tongue: The manager and servers say one thing but 'experts' say another.:unsure: I forgot to say we looooovveeeed this resort. It is absolutely gorgeous and the food is great.

Margaret

13. Figment

Figment Imagineer

When we were there in August last year, the server told us we didn't have to tip and we were on the free dining plan. We left a small tip any way (not even 10%) because our server was so very nice...she gave us free bottles of Dasani.

14. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

It would have been nice to hear that from our server Michelle, but when the manager and server tell you one thing, thinking that you are sure it isnt so, then total confusion reigns. I have emailed Disney twice complaining about what happened and I havent even had the courtesy of a reply. I even repeated the email in a survey sent out after our visit - nothing, not a sausage, zilch! :nono:

Margaret

15. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Interesting that one Mags!

Was there anything on the receipt about the tip? like 10% payable = $1.40 or gratuity included or *anything* ?

I'm pretty sure that when we bought our meals and went to the checkout to pay, they added on their 10% automatically so it was on the bill.

My take would be, if you got a bill with no balance to pay, then no need to tip either (and I'm guessing that was the case). If there'd have been a tip to pay, it would've had a balance on each receipt.

16. buzz2001

buzz2001 Imagineer

Correct, its included with the DDP.