1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Could Marvel Characters be Coming to Disney Parks?

Discussion in 'General News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It sounds like Disney are working on plans to bring Marvel superheroes, as well as other Disney characters that are popular with boys, into its theme parks.

Bob Iger, the Walt Disney Co. president and chief executive officer, told shareholders about early plans to add new park features during Tuesday’s annual meeting in Kansas City
    Disney officials have hinted that Marvel characters could come to Disney parks since 2009 when the company announced the acquisition of the comic company– home to Spider-Man, Iron Man and other characters. So far, the Disneyland Resort has only added Marvel merchandise.

On Tuesday, Iger said “preliminary design work” is under way on adding Marvel to theme parks.

“We’re working on some concepts,” Iger said in response to a question. “It’s our hope that in a few places around the world, Marvel characters will appear either in attractions or lands or in some form to provide entertainment, like our Disney characters do.”

Iger also said parks and resorts officials want to add more Disney characters that are popular with boys after an audience member asked whether Disney would add meals with male-friendly characters, such as Phineas and Ferb from the animated Disney Channel show.

“That’s a great suggestion,” Iger said. “I know we are hard at work figuring out ways that we can bring Phineas and Ferb in particular into the parks. We think there are some great opportunities there.”

Iger said Disney creators are “kicking around some other ideas for pirates” and “Cars” characters.

“It’s tough to do walk-around characters with cars,” Iger said.

What do you think, is it a good idea to bring the Marvel characters into Disney parks?
  2. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Well honestly I just don't know about this. It would take a lot of work to make them "fit", but having said that my Son would die of happiness :yes: You would never get Marc to leave the parks!
  3. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

My DH will be over the moon!!!!!!
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

It would definitely be different and I agree they need more boy character meals. However, I don't think any of our grandchildren would know one if they fell over them

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Bizzare , saw a load of Marvel stuff in the London Disney store last weekend

How can you have those characters at Universal and Disney - just weird
  6. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I personally dont like it :( We spend quite alot of time at Universal/IOA and to me the marvel characters are part of those parks and not disney. For those that dont visit IOA/US i suppose it would be good
  7. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Not really sure how many times I have to bang my head on this one - you have to keep Disney magic - its what it does,its what it is, and the Marvel characters just are not that.

They just think

we need more boys in the park

boys like marvel

get marvel

They have a huge rich and varied back catalogue of their own movies they can draw on and that s what they should do - heck they could even put the whole cast of Star wars out ther as well - that would get them in!
  8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Well, I would think that eventually Universal would have to stop using the Marvel Characters.
  9. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I like the idea of Marvel characters, rides and shows coming to WDW. Personally I think there is room for improvement in Hollywood Studios and Marvel would fit in perfectly. The whole section where the Lights Motor Action and Backlot tour would be a good place to set up Marvel rides and shows.
  10. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I agree with that to be honest, I think they should add more cars/Phineas & Ferb etc but I just don't think Marvel is Disney enough. :shrug:
  11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Disney should simply just buy Universal. :D
  12. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Now there is an idea I can get behind :yes:
  13. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

:nono: noooo - they cant do that!! that would mean the cost of visiting those parks would go up even more!
  14. Sam

Sam Imagineer

I too think that Disney could use more of the Cars and Phineas & Ferb characters, Hollywood Studios would certainly be ideal.

For me I like the distinction between Disney and Universal. The spiderman ride is amazing at Universal and I would think it would be a shame if Disney started to compete with that. To me Disney should be the Disney characters and leave the Marvel characters at Universal.