1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Could the California Grill at the Contemporary be Closing?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

There is a rumour that the California Grill at the Contemporary Resort will be closing at the end of 2012.

Now, whether this will be just a refurbishment or it is in fact closing for good no-one seems to know. The only thing that is definite, is that the Contemporary needs some repairs to the roof.

So could we see a new restaurant taking it's place, what do you think?
  2. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I think the real problem with CG is that the food and service quality is not consistant, so who knows....
  3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Closing totally IMHO would NOT be a good thing. I like that place. Refurbishment, certainly as I think most of the Contemporary main building could stand to be refurbished.
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah we've made some great memories at the california grill. This christmas eve once again I sat there, great bottle of champagne, watching the fireworks.

It IS inconsistent :/ and some of the building is starting to look at little weathered. They've done a great job refurbing the rooms, but you can't help thinking that the actual building may need some work.

Nevertheless, it would be very sad if it was to close completely and frankly I can't see it happening. The restaurant is one of the few Disney restaurants recognised and talked about outside Disney.

Although of course, it wouldn't be the first time Disney had surprised me :lol:

One thing is obvious, Disney are out to increase the spend and one way to do that is by taking the restaurant prices up. I could see them wanting to open an even more expensive restaurant there given the great view.
  5. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

The contemporary is one of the few hotels I visited during my time at Disney, and I have to say that although the inside is nice (Apart from the monorail station which in my opinion makes it seem like an airport rather than a hotel!) the outside of it just looks awful. They should just do something with the outside before they think about closing the California Grill. :yes: Even a lick of paint wouldn't go a miss.
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

The look of the contemporary has always been a bit love/hate I think :)
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'll vote for it to go. We had one of our worst meals ever (for WDW) at the California Grill, and that was for one of Herself's birthdays. :(

Yep. Close it. Gut it and bring in a good restaurant. One that is consistently good, I mean. :yes:

The Contemporary isn't so contemporary anymore, that's true, but it's still a pretty darn good example of ground breaking construction and architecture. :yes:
  8. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

The thing that shocked me most about my one and once only visit to the CG (apart from the worst server I have ever encountered anywhere! Lol) was the state of the firework viewing area. Not sure what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't what seemed to be a concrete service area covered in bird poop! So maybe if they started with a clean up out there ....
  9. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

We viewed the fireworks from the roof of the contemporary and I have to say I agree! :yes:
  10. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I didn't like the CG but love the contemporary, it's the hotel the monorail goes through... Sooo cool :thumbsup: