1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Couple's massage at the World

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Oreo, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

My brother and his gf have purchased tickets for Haloween Horror Nights at Universal. Me and Jess won't be going and feel this is a nice time to just chill and spend some time together.

I was thinking about booking a couples massage at one of the spa's as a treat for us both.

Any suggestions on the best place to go on Disney property?

Also, how does it work in regards to tips etc should we decide to book, what is the correct ettiquette for this type of thing (as we are somewhat new to massage's lol).

Thanks

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Although we`ve never used it ourselves, I have heard good reports about the spa at the GF .
    Unless gratuity is included in the cost then I would suggest a 10-15% tip should suffice.

Oreo likes this.
  3. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I did extensive research for our trip last year, and although eventually we opted not to partake (we just could NOT fit it in!), we did decide (if we had) we would have gone to the spa at The Swan & Dolphin, The Mandara Spa. They offer a lovely couples treatment, and prices run just slightly less comparatively (with the other resorts on Disney property).

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day! We are considering it for our trip in Sept/Oct as well since we will be there sans children :) The plan is for a spa day followed by a lovely dinner at Blue Zoo (also in the Swan/Dolphin).

As far as tip, we typically tip between 15-20% depending on service - I tend to be a bit more generous with massage therapists than with servers in a restaurant as I feel there job is a bit more...intimate, I guess? It takes a really good therapist to make me feel at ease, so when I find one who does - I am quite grateful.

Oreo likes this.
  4. Beccaberry

OOOH, interesting...

Seeing this thread actually caused me to go back and look at their pricing menu and I found this:

SERVICE CHARGE
    For your convenience, a 20% service charge will be automatically added to your final bill. Gratuity for exemplary service is discretional. Prices and services are subject to change without notice.

So I wonder if that is, in fact, an automatic tip? I certainly don't think I would tip someone MORE than that if they were already adding 20% to my bill?

Oreo likes this.
  5. Slowhand

That`s what I thought.
    I was almost certain that a gratuity was automatically added, so thanks for the confirmation Becca.

Oreo likes this.
  6. Beccaberry

I guess my question is, does the 20% go TO the therapist? If not, I'd want to tip them directly, and I'd REALLY want to know where the 20% was going! LOL!

Oreo likes this.
  7. Slowhand

Yeah I know where you are coming from Becca.
    I normally ask the person providing the service this question in [say] a restaurant.

Oreo likes this.
  8. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Silly question, but how does it work in regards to showing flesh.

I'm no prude but my biggest concern is the naked issue, not so much top but the towel covered area?

Can you wear shorts etc?

9. Beccaberry

I have had massages on various vacations, as well as quite often here at home (I love them!), and what we have always been told is, "Dress down to whatever point your most comfortable." If that's shorts (or perhaps boxers/briefs) for you, and perhaps completely au natural for your fiancee - so be it. They don't judge :)

I will also say they are incredibly discreet (at least in my experience). Seriously, some of these folks are regular magicians when it comes to arranging those sheets!

Oreo likes this.
  10. Beccaberry

Also, a good therapist will ALWAYS ask if there are any areas you'd like them to focus on or avoid. So be honest!

Oreo likes this.
  11. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

My wife and I have done the couples massage at Grand Floridian and it was wonderful. We usually tip 10-15%.

Tink and Oreo like this.
  12. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Thanks for this.

I have only had one massage and that was when I was 18 and it was a back and neck massage that my ex bought me.

I was that nervous and not sure what I was to expect I didn't enjoy it at all.

I'm just concerned about things being on show really (difficult to explain I guess), I'm not fussed about me more about the embarressment for everybody else lol.

To be fair though, I know the people who work in these places (especially disney) are professional and have probably experienced anything you can think of but I just over think things at times.

One other question, do they usually put female massures with females and the same with males or can it be a mix?

Thanks for your help :)

13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'd head to the Mandala spa, but that's personal preference. :yes:
    Tipping is done when there is no automatic service charge. That's a gratuity plain and simple, and it does go to the therapist. It's a matter of understanding the cutesy terms.

With regard to modesty, I am about the worst for it. I don't remove certain items of clothing. :redface: It's never been a problem, and doesn't interfere with the massage.

Facials are quite nice for someone who is new to the whole "get nekkid and get rubbed" experience. :D Foot massages with pedicures are REALLY nice for those tired park tootsies, too. :yes:

There is a chain of massage shops here, called Massage Envy. I had a membership to one (gifted) and I can honestly say you should avoid those if you see them. They are the Walmart of massage services. (Utterly basic and anything at all that is usually provided with a massage in any other place is charged for there. They dun you for tips and actually try to get you to tip on an amount that the service was "worth" instead of what was charged). Ugh.

At any rate, with regard to tipping, if I do tip (where there is no service charge) I usually tip 10% as a masseuse is paid at a fair hourly wage, and not the lower, below minimum wage of a server.

Hope that helps a bit!

14. Tink

You can request the gender of the person who provides the service to you. I always do, and would not accept a service if I could not have a therapist of the requested gender.

15. Beccaberry

Thanks for this Tink, I had a feeling you'd understand the "lingo" :D

Yep, what Tink said :) I've actually never made a request, because I don't have a preference, but most places have always asked. Now, if I find a particular masseuse I enjoy, I will request them when returning to a location.

I did not have a good experience with Massage Envy either - it sounded good in theory - but in practice, I was VERY displeased.

Ya know, I never thought about that! It's a good point though...

16. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

A few years ago my wife and I got a couples massage at GF. We were able to use the sauna and jacuzzi before and after the massage. I can't remember what it cost. I know that my wife enjoyed it more than I did. I feel like a massage is a time to zone out and get lost in your own thoughts. With my wife there it was a distraction. I would definitely do it again.

Tink likes this.
  17. Beccaberry

LOL, so does Jon, as proven by the snoring I often hear emanating from him when we're having a couples massage. :D

18. Tink

Becca, I was given a Massage Envy member ship for a year which entitled me to a monthly massage, (or other services at a reduced rate). EVERY single time I went they asked me about the money aspect of it. EVERY single time I told them I had no idea about any of it as it had been a gift... It really got so I didn't want to go. They constantly upsell, and push products at the end. The sign that declared the $39 service was truly worth $75-80 and that is what the tip should be on, really aggravated me.

Each time I went it seemed to be something new to give me grief. Finally, I got enough courage to tell the very generous person who gifted me this about it. I felt that the giver should know about it (and honestly didn't want a repeat gift like this). :sorry:

The giver was very displeased, especially about the questions regarding payment each time. The gift was automatically paid by the giver's credit card!

Plus, the massages were not all that great. One masseuse actually hurt me several times. Ugh. I've not ever had that happen before, and do not expect to have to deal with that again. I had a facial one time, in place of the massage, and ended up with skin that was very unhappy for weeks.

Anyway, I'm done with that nonsense.

19. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Ok, so yesterday I went for a massage and wow did I feel relaxed.

We had a local beauty place come into our office a few months ago and they offered tasters during our lunch. As a result I bought Jess a voucher for a facial treatment. She didn't facing going on her own so I booked myself in for a back massage.

Long story short I ended up having the fully massage and i'm so glad I did.

Now, I know to those in America, a massage isn't a big deal and is probably as regular as having your hair done etc. But it's not something for me at least is done often.

I must admit I was totally nervous but glad I didn't have time to worry about it. After about five minutes I was almost asleep.

Jess is slightly different and while she really enjoyed her treatment doesn't feel she could go the whole body massage.

Anyway we've agreed to have some time out during our holiday and we were researching the spa's this morning.

I couldn't quite believe the price at Disney, is this average across Orlando or do Disney do what they usually do and add a bit on?

Can anyone recomend a place outside of Disney?

20. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah I feel exactly the same way which is why I've never gone for one. The only time I had one was like you, when a new place opened nearby work and I was pretty much ambushed in my chair and couldn't get away in time :lol: thing is, although I was joking around at the time and so not really relaxing, and although it was only a quick 5 mins, I actually felt less stressed for a week after. I could feel such a difference that over the week I could feel the stress returning :lol:

So hmmmm although I don't think I've got the nerve to really go do it, I'd like to