1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Credit card cloning

Discussion in 'Shopping & Other Activities' started by Dawn, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Anyone have this happen to them. My mum took 2 credit cards with her and both of them were cloned. She only used each card once so we know exactly where it happened.

Longhorn Steakhouse on 192 and the airside Starbucks for gates 70 and up at MCO. Longhorn are investigating, we haven't contacted Starbucks yet.
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

hmmmm that's really weird and incredibly unlucky :/

I've not had THAT exact thing happen with two different cards, I've had the same card and its replacement done (without having used the replacement).

Did they take the card out of her sight? The biggest no-no with cards at the moment is to allow anyone to take them away. In a restaurant, they should bring a card reader and if they don't I try and pay cash.

Card number stealing is at epidemic levels in my humble opinion and I'm amazed the banks aren't doing more to stop it
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We've had it happen a number of times. In many restaurants here they still remove the card from your sight. In Canada they never do (at least on the west coast). It's a huge pain in the neck to have it happen, especially if you don't notice it right away.

Herself's brother had his entire bank account wiped out as a result. He used his debit card at an ATM in Sao Paolo and when he arrived home, one day later, $10,000 gone. He is fighting with the bank to be reimbursed.
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I'm truly thinking of going back to cash and cheques! Just got our credit card statement on return from holiday yesterday, the only thing we bought was some part for my car from a breakers, total £60 over the phone on the 27th July. The company charged the card £600!!!! We rang the company this morning and apparently their accounts department isn't in until noon. But surely they would have known the day this happened when doing their accounts at the end of the day ans should have contacted us and refunded straight away? In my mind this is fraud. Anyone had anything similar?
  5. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Yep Adrian said he's doing cash only next time. Funny though, when we used travellers checks a couple of the CMs didn't know what to do with them and a supervisor who helped said they didn't get many these days as most people out of the US are using the pre-paid credit cards.
  6. Britchick

We have had no problems with the travellers cheques so far.... I don't think I'll ever get a prepaid card, if that gets scammed then how do you get your money back? At least with a credit card you haven't paid it out. I wonder how safe they are too. I don't know what the answer is as carrying a lot of cash isn't good either! It really pees me off that you work hard for your money then some scumbags just want to take it from you!
  7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The problem with prepaid cards is if you use them for hotels and restaurants, they will hold a certain amount. That can be a real pain to deal with. If you are purchasing gas, make sure you go inside with the prepaid card to pay. Otherwise you could have a huge hold on the card again.

I don't know that my card was cloned but I had a HUGE issue last summer with someone getting ahold of my number. Thankfully I found out pretty quick and nothing major happened. The thing that tipped me off was the $49 iTunes charge. There was some yelling and accusations going on in this house :-( Then contrite apologies.

I'm at the point where I only want to use cash as well. American Express still sells travelers checks. I may have to look into those again.
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Prepaid cards are a huge problem in many ways. Some (like American Express) charge a fee. REALLY? Some places don't use them correctly and overcharge and it is miserable to work that out.

The best thing to do is have one or two cards for travel only, and then keep the card companies notified that you are traveling and to where. It's a bit of a pain, but it's one way to try to proactively prevent problems.

Never let the card out of your sight is another good one, but that doesn't stop scam readers in ATM machines or gas pumps (that one got my brother in law). Checking a balance daily is one way too, but what a huge pain when you are traveling.

Cash is good, until you are mugged. :(
  9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Chris has always been paranoid about using a card anywhere where it is taken away from you. He's also not keen on the machines they bring to the table. In restaurants he always pays by cash or traveller's cheques.

Hope she gets it sorted out.
  10. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

CASH IS KING!!! I am so paranoid to use any plastic these days.
  11. Britchick

well the company Jon bought the car parts from are giving him the run around and haven't refunded the £540 they owe us. It was 5 weeks ago they took the wrong amount so we have handed it over to the fraud department of the credit card. That can take 4-6 weeks though. So fed up with it all. I looked up the company on the internet and i think they may have cash flow problems!!! arrrggghhh
  12. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Just to revisit this, this is going round all the computer/IT nerd forums at the moment showing how easy it is for a completely normal (looking) restaurant terminal to store cards/pins and let them be downloaded later sigh.... have a look at this (seems cash may really be the only way to go)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/16/tampered_pos_market_surfaces/

In a video demonstrating a tampered sales terminal, a card is swiped through the handheld device and a PIN entered - just as any customer would in a restaurant or shop. Later, after a series of key-presses, the data is transferred to a laptop via a serial cable.

Account numbers and other sensitive information appear on the computer screen, ready to be exploited. And the data can be texted to a phone, if a SIM card is fitted to the handheld.