1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Cruise time drawing near

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by Tink, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well! We set sail on the 30th of August, so time is getting close.

I am really embarrassed to say that I know next to nothing about the cruise. We used a travel agent to book, but unfortunately not one of our great ones here so I'm paying the price for that now.

We are on the four day Wonder cruise out of Port Canaveral (of course). The purpose of the cruise is to celebrate Herself's Mother's 75th birthday. She always wanted to have a Disney cruise with all (or as many of) her family, so Herself, Herself's Sister and I have put this together for her.

There are 20 of us... g-d help me. :sigh:

So! We have first seating for dinner, or at least requested it.

In addition to Herself's Mother's (from here on out known at HM, ok?) birthday there are the following birthdays to celebrate on the cruise:

Herself's Sister's
    HERSELF'S!!!!!
    Herself's Sister in Law
    The baby of the group (will be three on the Sunday of the cruise)
    A niece

We would like to order the birthday package for the room for at least HM and the baby. (Two separate rooms).

I know that it comes with a cake and some decorations but that is about it. Given that the cost is a mere $40, I'm guessing that the cake is very small.

Does anyone have any experience with this at all? If not, does anyone know who I can contact to learn more about this birthday package, and if possible perhaps ordering a big cake for dinner one night with all the birthday people's names on it?

Does anyone have any ideas for a surprise for Herself for her birthday? :unsure: She doesn't eat cake... I was thinking maybe champagne and fruit in the room or something like that? I'm open to all suggestions, please?

There is a pirate night. HM has decreed that all will dress as pirates and attend. It is my limited understanding that this takes place on Tuesday and is in conjunction with an evening dessert buffet.

Does anyone know any more about it? We are pulling together costumes for the event. Do others dress up (we don't do things by half much LOLOLOL)? Herself has quite a costume going with the ruffly white shirt, dark pants and red satin vest... needs a sash yet, and a hat. We're actually thinking about getting costume wigs! LOL!!! I've got to put something together for myself yet, though. Who knows, if the costumes are good enough, I may just get really brave and post a photo! :eek: :eek: Or not. :unsure:

So, anyone with any experience cruising the four days with DCL, all info most welcome. Herself and I will not be doing any excursions as we intend to REST, READ and maybe exercise. LOL :D

Nassau? I've heard so much icky about it, I'm not even sure I want to go ashore on that day. Advice?

HELLLLLLLP!!!!! :beg:

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

what wonderful time you're going to have with all those special events! I know NOTHINGGGGGG about the cruises either so will be reading replies with interest :yes:

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Tink, in 2003, when we took my DW's retirement celebration cruise, I ordered the Celebration package for our stateroom. It was quite inexpensive. Regardless of the cost however, my DW was thrilled with it! In fact, she still has the decorations packed away to this day and everytime we open our box of Disney memorabilia, there it is on top. Was it worth it? You betcha! :yes:
    Regarding the cake. I've attached a picture from that cruise that shows the Celebration cake we had at dinner on formal night. As you can see, it's not the largest cake in the world.

Check with the Guest Services desk on the ship. The Guest Services desk will be on Deck 3 just off the Atrium where you enter the ship. They can probably accommodate most any reasonable request you can think of. On our first cruise, our table mates little boy wanted to win a contest where they were giving away a large Captain Mickey character. He didn't win and was terribly disappointed. My DW and I, being the softies that we are couldn't let that stand, so we bought him one from the gift shop on board (Treasure Ketch). We took it to guest services, had them get it autographed by Captain Mickey himself, and had it delivered to our table that night at dinner. Worked out quite well. See attached picture of the little guy.

Oh yes. Dressing for Pirate Night would be perfectly acceptable. As it stands, you'll be supplied a pirate bandanna at dinner and some people use that as their costume (see attached. Doesn't our Slowhand look dashing?) Others have a more elaborate get up. Your dinner servers will be in costume (also shown in the picture of Slowhand). I'm sure you could take just about as far as you wanted. Before dinner, there's photo opportunities in the Atrium area where you can get your picture taken with some of the characters. Including Pirate Captain Mickey and of course, Captain Jack Sparrow!
    After dinner, there'll be the Pirates in the Caribbean deck party. Also a rather nice dessert bar on deck 9 and, amazingly enough, fireworks! At sea! Disney is the only cruise line to have fireworks from the ship.

Deck 4 is your friend! :thumbsup: Witness the attached picture of my DW! :ROFL:

Tom :)macwave:... self appointed Assistant Cruise director)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  4. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Tink . i to know nothing about a cruise BUT l think l may have come out in hives on your behalf with all the planning and meeting of people you have to do.

5. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Wow! What a trip Tink!!! How exciting. Don't forget the camera young lady!

6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We had the 'bon Voyage' celebration package in our room and though it was great value for money! The cake was probably 6-7 inches across so not tiny.

Have you thought about a cruise basket, especially for the little one? We had them made from an outside company and they were waiting in our room when we arrived - they were sand buckets with their name on filled with all sorts of goodies, they also do more adult themed ideas as well :yes:

7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

ooh god this all sounds fabulous!

8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Tink, sorry for my late reply to your PM :sorry: although catrancher has explained in fantastic detail what to expect of the Pirates Night. [They must have served us some strong wine that evening for me to get so immersed in the festivities :lol:]

Regarding Nassau. We were not overly impressed with this port of call. :sorry: We hadn`t opted for any organised excursions so we walked around on foot, taking in the governor`s house and an outdoor market etc.etc. The only thing which sticks in my mind is the huge staircase which was hewn out of the cliff by slaves, which we found to be worth a poignant visit.

9. BevW

BevW Addicted to Mickey

OMG OMG OMG>...You are going to have the BEST BEST BEST time EVER!!! We had so much fun on our cruise with Donna & John..and yes, we dressed up as pirates! Well, I was a wench :lol: I can't find my pics from our cruise..I think they're on a disc somewhere...we moved remember...:lol:
    The fireworks was awesome! Getting your pic taken with the characters wasn't too bad during the entire cruise...just a short/long line. Food...FOOD was to DIE for...and it was EVERYWHERE.....I hit the ice cream place several times hehehehehe.
    You will love it! Don't stress. We were newbies too, but we got the hang of it REAL QUICK! Donna and I got to dance in that line also...it was FUN!

10. Tink

Thank you all so much for the great information!!!

So, we're doing the pirate thing in full force! :eek: I'm going along with it rather nicely...then Herself figured it out. If I'm in heavy costume, I'm "hiding in plain sight!" :lol:

Siobhan, don't you know it! Too many people, too much planning... too many NEW people! :mental: The only thing keeping me "sane" is the realization that with such a large party of our own, I won't have to be seated at table with strangers. Whew!!

Tom, thanks so much for the photos. The cake looks nice sized. :yes: We'll have two, one for HM and one for the little one. That should do it for those who want to have some.

I'll check at the guest place thingy for a surprise for Herself.

I'm planning on taking the camera. :unsure:

11. foreverducky

Well Tink, you need to use it too, not just bring it. :D

12. Tink

Oh. Yes. That bit. Well, I do use it... sometimes... I bet the next thing you tell me is that I'm supposed to NOW download the photos, right? :cry2: ;)

13. foreverducky

One step at a time Tink, one step at a time :D

14. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Oooooh! What fun!

Be sure to keep your costume light weight--it's going to be warm and probably humid!

15. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

ohhh that looks like sooo much fun!!

16. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

You will have a wonderful time, Sister Tink . Make sure you go and see the shows . Especially Disney Dreams & Golden Mickeys . You will all love the shows . Can't wait to see the pictures . Pirates Night is cool, too .

17. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Everyone else has pretty much covered everything and we haven't been on the cruise in almost six years (8 years for the 4 night). The only thing I remember different about Pirate night was that it included a full pirate buffet on Deck 10 and not just desert.

You will have a wonderful time!!! I can't wait for our cruise in January!!! 7 night eastern (thinking about baring all in St. Maartin if I can lose a few pounds). :jawdrop:

18. Tink

OMG!!!! We LOVED St. Martin/Maarten!!!! :yes: We intend to go back and stay right on the island, instead of just visiting it on a cruise. We LOVED the St. Martin shops. If you care to, hunt down L'epicerie Marie. :yes: It's a lovely little gourmet shop not far from all the touristy bits. The men that own it are French and one used to work at France in the World Showcase! :D :D :D They have DIVINE cheese, lovely charcuterie, wine... and some other yummy bits...

There is a wicked chocolate shop there too! :yes: If you find that, you can find the gourmet shop. :yes: It's essentially futher along the road, with a left at the next intersection (you are moving away from the center of the touristy bits).

If you wish to bare all, don't worry a bit about your appearance! That's not the point of the errmmmmm... nude-ness. :D :D

19. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

That sounds fantastic Tink. This is the island we are most looking forward to enjoying during this cruise.

As far as the nudeness....I have a bet going with the DW and I do not intend to lose!! :lipwobble:

20. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

If you're interested, here's a shore excursion that I wish we'd done on St. Martin/Maarten.

12 Metre Challenge

I'm a sailing freak so maybe I can be excused for my enthusiasm. Maybe one of these days I'll get back there to try it. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... self appointed Assistant Cruise Director)