1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Cruises - Disney or others ?

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by keith, Aug 9, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I know we have several Disney cruisers here :) but what about other cruises?

I was talking to some colleagues last week who love the P&O ones for example.

Anyone been on a cruise and loved/hated it?

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I so want to go on a cruise but chris is adamant he will get bored. The only one he may eventually do is around the Hawaiian Islands and that's with Norwegian cruise Line. I've never heard anything bad about them.

If it's DCL then our Terry will do his best to convince you. He didn't manage to work his manage on Chris though :lol:

What are you looking for in a cruise. It's very unlikely you will have internet access unless you pay a fortune for it.

3. keith

I must admit that does sound superb!

Erm probably the usual things really, a lot of interesting stops, a few formal nights, a lot to do onboard and yeah, preferably some way to get internet access although I know that'll probably be tough :(

4. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I want to take an Alaskan cruise. I would have done it when I did my West Coast trip last year, but I wanted to see so much that there wasn't any time (or funding!) left.

Next time I go to the West Coast, I'll move around a little less, see the things I didn't see last time, and book onto a cruise.

A Disney podcaster also does a podcast on cruises and he's a big fan of Royal Caribbean.

5. sarah

sarah Addicted to Mickey

A friend I work with goes in a cruise every year usually royal Caribbean
    Loves it
    My aunt and uncle cruise every year too they are retired and have done lots of different ones azura and oceana think that's how you spell it, are their favourites think that's with po?
    You can buy a book like ones for Disney but just about cruise ships image.jpg

keith likes this.
  6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i recommend Princess cruise line- we did a taster with them last year and it was really good. I am trying Disney next year and after that would like to try a cruise to the Norwegian fjords. With the larger modern ships i don't think you would get bored. We had 2 days at sea as it was too rough to land and we had a blast. My top tip get a balcony cabin especially if you're going somewhere that is scenic. There's nothing like sitting on your balcony with a wee drinkie before getting ready for dinner.

keith and Dizneyblonde like this.
  7. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Hi Tony,

Alaska is a must cruise. Amazing sights along the way. We took an Alaskan cruise northboud on a Carnival ship. Not the biggest fan of Carnival, but they did a good job on that trip. FWIW I would suggest a northbound one rather than a southbound one as that way the scenery gets better and better daily. You could then couple it with a train ride. Highly recommend that. You see so much from the train that you can't from the road.

BTW.. DW and I love RC cruise line.

Tony G likes this.
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

My problem is that so far we have done around 14 cruises but they have always been with DCL which we enjoy so much.
    To be honest I am a bit concerned by now that if we now tried another cruise line, we would inevitably be contantly comparing it with DCL, although I`m sure that the others are fabulous in their own way.

keith likes this.
  9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I am absolutely not a cruising expert by any means, but as with art, I know what I like. :D

We've cruised with Holland America, Norwegian, and Disney.

We will not willingly (ummm, so who is going to force us??? ) cruise with Holland America again. The last cruise's on board experience with them was truly terrible. So much so they offered us a tidy on board credit for our next cruise and we refused.

Disney, well everyone's heard that story a zillion times, so I won't rehash, but the main disappointments were the condition of the room/cabin, the quality of the food (including Palo) and the absolute stifling boredom with the adult only areas.

So that leaves Norwegian. I like it for various reasons but the primary one being that we never, ever not once have to dine with strangers. :eek: That was my main fear about cruising, and I refused to do one until Norwegian came out with freestyle cruising. Also, you do not have to dress formally for any dinner. There are some dress codes (no above the knee shorts) for dinner, and other dining areas, but they are not excessive. These cruises, although they allow children, are heavily populated with adults. Children are the minority here, and to be honest, I'd not take a child on Norwegian. Disney, absolutely but not NCL.

You couldn't pay me to board a Carnival or Costa, but I've had close family members have good experiences on both of those lines.

I'd love to try Crystal one day. HA! But I would!

10. Tink

That is a very reasonable thought, Slowhand. :yes: I do think that has something to do with our concept of the cruise lines. NCL was our first cruise, and by default you can't help but compare. However, the first HAL was not bad at all. The food was not hugely outstanding, but it was well decent enough. It was this last one that killed it for us.

But you most definitely will compare. On the other hand, I can so see you and Mrs. Slowhand on a Crystal, or the Queen Elizabeth. :yes: She does love to dress for dinner and these two lines would give her a number of very elegant opportunities. :yes:

11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

We went around the med with Royal Caribbean. It was great, we loved it.

Pro's were: food food glorious food 24/7
    waking up every day in a different country.
    Excellent ice shows.
    Excellent cabaret shows.
    Plenty of bars to either dance or just sit pub style if you like.
    Sooooooo much to do, not enough time to do it, believe me.
    We chose to dress up if we wanted to, it was there if we wanted and not if we didn't.
    Plenty of sunbeds around the pools, and an adult only pool... bliss.

Cons: The ships are so large the ports they use are miles from the towns so you then have to wait on the dock in the blazing sun waiting in line with thousands of others to get a cab or shuttle :(

The towns know when it's docking day and the prices of goods go up.

Sea sickness on blustery days :(

Norovirus if you're unlucky enough to get a ship that contracts it.

The shops on the ship cater for everything you could possibly want and don't want but think you'll want. At a price of course.

12. keith

interesting review esme... I wonder if you choose to pay for the excursions they offer, might that be a way, albeit expensive, of avoiding waiting for cabs with thousands of others?

13. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Oh yes definitely, plus if you get caught in a jam or something the ship will wait for the excursion coach but not if you're late by your own means of transport.

14. Tink

That is one thing to understand and plan for. You will need to book excursions if you are to enjoy the ports. Now, some you won't or may not need to, but as Esme says, if the port is not within walking distance of anything interesting or safe, you'll definitely need those excursions. They can add up quickly, be aware. We've done ports with them, and without them, and done ports where we should have done them and didn't. So, all that to say, read all the excursions carefully, research the ports so you know where you are disembarking, and then make your decisions.

If you ever cruise Hawaii and the islands, be sure to book the helicopter excursion (over the volcano).

keith and Wendy like this.