1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

crystal river

Discussion in 'Other Florida Parks and Attractions' started by Britchick, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

has anyone swum with the manatees? is it expensive? is it worth it? how long does it take to get there? anything else worth seeing there? what about lunch? :lol:

2. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I have done it about four years ago. it was a Virgin organised trip and it was the best trip we have ever done. I cant remember how much it was but it was one of the more expensive trips. We stopped off for breakfast (which was included in the price) as well as lunch. I dont swim but dd and ds got into the water. They were blown away by their experience up close with the manatees and were even allowed to drive the boat back.after the swim we took an airboat ride and then it was off to wild Bills rescue centre. That has changed and now it is Homosassa State Wildlife Park that you visit.
    There are quite a number of firms that do the trip. We were thinking of going again this year. We found one firm that gives you a packed breakfast and another which stops off for a buffet breakfast and is only a few dollars dearer. I dont know if I am allowed to post the link, but we will be using Viator again.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Orlando...Everglades-Airboat-Adventure/d663-2855MANATEE

I think it is a fantastic trip and one that I would highly recommend. :p015:

Margaret

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yep no probs with links to informational stuff like that Mags :yes:

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

thanks Mags!

5. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Brit, double check that they're still allowing you to do this. My step mom was telling me that they were pretty close to not allowing anyone to swim with them anymore because of the impact it was causing. Probably a case of a few ruining it for the rest :rolleyes008:

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yes, I've heard noises about that too. Apparently, there are some conservationists up in arms about acclimating wildlife to human contact. Does make sense, especially with slow moving manatees.

7. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

oh:( i'd be very gentle and i wouldn't touch! but i guess we have to do what's best for them , will have a hunt around nearer the time- not going till 2010

8. Tink

Oh I know, Britchick! :yes: The general objection from the conservationists is that when manatees (or other wildlife) become acclimated to humans, then they lose their fear and will approach any. Not all humans are kind. :( And with manatees if they approach boats (that carry humans) then quite often end up getting hurt (or killed) by the propellers.

We won't talk about what can happen when 'gators become accliimated to humans! :eek:

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

someone sent me an email of what happens this morning!! eek:shocked025::shocked025:

10. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

My daughter and her husband just got back from a trip to Florida and because Andy had never seen the everglades they went for a couple of hours. They had pulled the car over so Diane would take some pictures and Andy was just standing there waiting for her to get done when he looked down because he heard a noise and there was a gator just slowly walking towards him.

Diane said she's never seen him move so fast as when he jumped back into the car :shocked025: :lol:

11. Tink

Whhhoeeee! Smart man. Those babies are nasssssty! Not the best place to get out of the car! :eek:

12. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Probably not, but Diane wanted to take pictures of some cranes and ducks so she made him stop. He dropped the granola bar he was eating when he bolted for the car and I figure the gator got a health snack out the deal :yes:

13. Tink

Were they on Alligator Alley (75 between Miami and Naples). That is a great place to see incredible birds and thousands of 'gators! :eek:

14. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

I'm not sure, I know they stopped on teh way up to Disney and that they took the turnpike, but that's all I know for sure.

15. Tink

Ah. Nope. But they were running along the eastern edge of the 'glades so they saw some nice wildlife. And then the 'gator of course.

16. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we did alligator alley on our first trip to florida in 1997. We stopped a couple of times and watched a man fishing - he had gators all around him in the water- soon as i saw them i ran back to the car lol

17. Tink

Isn't that area just chock full of 'gators? :eek: I always get spooked driving through there. Can't imagine having something go wrong and being run off the road into one of those "ditches" (that are really more like small canals)!

What amazes me is that there are actually ducks on the water in them! I'd think none would survive. :(

I do love the birds through there though. Incredible. :yes: