1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Trip Report Day 1 - Downtown Disney and lots of food

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dawn, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

In true first morning style I was up and at 'em at 3am! Nanny Lesley and Grandma both appear at about 3.40am and we sit and figure out how to work the TV between us. After some coffee I creep into the shower trying not to wake up anyone else. Steven appeared at around 4.30am and he woke Adrian up at 5.30am. We finished off our unpacking and people phoned home to let other people know we'd arrived. By 6.30am we were ready to leave the villa.

Traditionally our first morning breakfast is at Perkins. Not any old Perkins though. It has to be the one at The Crossroads. And we don't hop on to I-4 to get there either. We drive under the arch and through Disney property to get to our Perkins. It's how we do it. So we arrive at Perkins and it's unsurprisingly almost empty. The man asks if Steven wants a child's menu and we scoff in his face at this suggestion. Then we tell the man that Steven is only 10 and he looks the boy up and down and announces "Holy Crap!" much to our amusement. Well all except Grandma who didn't find it amusing.

Anyway Steven has heard about this Tremendous Twelve they have on their breakfast menu and as it's what me and Adrian always have on the first morning then that's what he wants too. Three eggs, hash brown, 4 rashers of bacon and 4 pancakes. Word soon got round the few people in the restaurant that a 10 year old was attempting this breakfast. Servers kept coming over to offer encouragement and Steven became some sort of minor celebrity. Eventually he gave up with one and a half pancakes left. Not bad for a first effort. Everyone in the restaurant was very impressed. Grandma offered to pay for breakfast and so began the fruitless struggle to get her to understand foreign money. In the end Adrian took her to the till.

Next it's Walmart time. We go here for villa supplies. And to look at weird stuff. And hopefully spot some weird people too. Grandma is obsessed with toilet roll. All she's been interested in since finding out the villa did not come equipped with 2 weeks worth of toilet roll is acquiring more toilet roll before some disaster befalls us all. It's pretty much all she's talked about all morning. Never mind all the other junk you can buy in there. Toilet roll. So we spent $117 on villa supplies (including many toilet rolls) and drinks and snacks for the parks, and then went round again and spent $172 on other things we couldn't survive without - t-shirts, hats, pool toys and such. We also bought 200 ibuprofen tablets off the shelf for $4. In the UK the maximum number you can buy without a prescription is 16.

Eventually we got to the point where Steven got whiny and Adrian got tetchy with Steven for being whiny so we went off back to the villa for pool time. Before we'd even unloaded the shopping Grandma had located the toilet rolls and taken a stash off for her room. The rest of us unloaded all the shopping before hitting the pool. The bubbly bit at the end proved to be interesting in terms of entry and exit and again the phrase "it's deeper than it looks" was used often.

We spent a couple of hours in and around the pool and dragged the boy at 1pm so we could do other things. Grandma is trying to pay her share of the Walmart bill and Adrian tells her to forget about it as it's too painful to watch her trying to sort money. She pronounces American money stupid. Adrian and myself pop up the road to Publix to buy beer and wine as it's too early to buy this when we are in Walmart. Then it's back to the villa where Adrian and Steven bicker over the application of suncream.

cont...
    keith likes this.
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Sounds like a great start. If she thinks American money is stupid imagine us poor Americans going to England when you were still using shillings, sixpence, tuppence and the like.
  3. Dawn

We are off to Downtown Disney. I was worried about parking because of the building works there but the lot behind Cirque was almost empty and I park under a big letter Q. We all stroll along the West Side until Goofy's Candy Cauldron where Steven spots the apples and refuses to move until he has one in his hand. These things are works of art and if I bought one I don't think I could eat it. Anyway I took him in and he chose a classic Mickey apple and sat on a bench to eat as much of it as he could. by the way it's seriously hot but the clouds are gathering and it's gusting in that way that means rain is coming. Did I mention the storm we drove through to get to the villa last night? Amazing lightning displays. I digress...

Sadly there's not much to see in Pleasure Island anymore so we're through there in no time. Adrian is through in double quick no time because he just marches off ahead. He never looks around to take it all in the way other people (me) do. Just fixes on the end destination and goes there. We make it into the T Rex store before the downpour arrives. The downpour lasts about ten minutes and during this time Steven finds the "split a geode" thingy and wants a go. He purchases aforementioned geode and gives it a good splitting in the machine - had some nice crystallisation inside too.

The rain has passed (for now) so we move on to the Lego Store. Steven has money to spend and was intending to part with some of it here but he got a bit overwhelmed with the choice. And it was probably a bit crowded for him too. We walked round together a couple of times and eventually he made a choice and a purchase. Everyone else was waiting outside as it was so noisy in there.

Ghiradelli's next for a beverage break. We all placed our orders and sat at a table and waited for them to be delivered. When they were delivered Grandma looked at the table and asked what had happened to her iced coffee. We all pointed at the iced coffee sat right in front of her. She looked at it and said with disdain that it was not like the iced coffee you got in Spain. Steven looked at her at told her she wasn't in Spain. Internal hysterical laughter from me. Adrian's iced mocha had a load of chocolate chips in it and he tried sucking them up the straw. Apparently it gave a machine gun effect on the back of the throat.

We go in the World of Disney next but only spend a few minutes in there. It's too big to manage when you have to keep an eye on where your 10 year old boy is and where the other members of your party are. So we give up in there and go in Once Upon A Toy. Steven builds another light saber for his collection and then builds a couple of droids from the neat little section in there. There was a British guy building droids there and his wife said he was like a kid in a candy shop - he was up to about 20 droids buy the time we left. Grandma is not happy that Cast Members keep engaging us in conversation - would never happen in England. At this point I kind of block her out.

The kitchen thing shop is next and in there we are delighted to see the Nemo seagulls and their "mine mine mine" chant has made it on to more merchandise. Nanny Lesley gets a travel mug and Steven gets a water bottle carrying the design. We check out the Christmas shop but are rather underwhelmed to be honest. It all seems to be very expensive compared to when we were last there and we come out empty handed. Art of Disney is next and I spend time staring longingly at everything in there before deciding I'd come back later in the trip and buy something special to take home. Then we went through to the stationery type place where Steven got the R2-D2 Mickey ears. After this he played in the fountains for a bit and then got 12" of coloured powder before we caught the boat back over to the West Side.

As we got off the boat the rain started again and as we got to Cirque it got very hard. The sensible ones amongst us used the hoardings around the back of Cirque to stay relatively sheltered from the rain while we made our way back to the big Q sign. The non-sensible ones (Adrian and Grandma) ran straight out through the downpour to the incorrect big Q sign. Then complained about being soaked.

I drove straight to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner as it was just round the corner. The sensible ones amongst us were practically dry by the time we got there. Steven and myself had buckets of crab. For dessert I had a slab of key lime pie that was about 4 British desserts worth. The complaint here was there was no 55+ menu and the marshmallows on her S'mores were toasted. I have no idea.

We took a slight detour on the way home. Ooops! Never mind it gave us a chance to admire the lightning again as another storm had hit the area. After a pretty impressive display we were home and in bed by 9pm. Tomorrow we go to the Magic Kingdom!
    Britchick and keith like this.
  4. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Love reading these!
  5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

me too! love the detail
  6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

You have to have a prescription for more than 16 ibupriofen?! I would die. Literally die. Or be at the doctor all of the time.

So, if I go to the UK, the shop keepers won't chat me up? Challenge accepted! I need to save my pennies......
  7. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

It took me a moment to work out what your meaning of "toilet roll" was (and then of course it seemed quite obvious, but whatever, I've never been the obvious type). I think of "toilet rolls" are those cardboard tubes that all the "toilet paper" winds 'round and as an educator of young children, we LOVE to use those as craft supplies (usually to make robots) and are quite "obsessed" with them, too. So, for the first few moments of your trip report, I kept trying to imagine grandma obsessed with "toilet rolls" and in my head (an admittedly scary place) she looked very much like this:
    b9.jpg

More please.
  8. Johnie

Now you've confused me Rebecca!

Lol and my dad does a mean Robby the Robot impression. Well not anymore cause mom tells at him
  9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Good to know that you didn't have problems with the ferry from the West Side to the Marketplace. We've never had much luck with it. It must have been very hard on Adrian's Mom to have so much different. I know someone like that. Complains that everything isn't the way it "should be." Never did understand why folks who have such problems with foreign things travel. :surrender:

I so enjoy your writing style. I know I've told you this before as have any number of other people, but you need to get yourself in print, woman.
  10. uscwest

I'm almost afraid to ask but what is the difference in the iced coffee grandma got at Ghirardelli's and the one she gets in Spain?
  11. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I was wondering the same thing!!

Love this report so far! :)
  12. Dawn

The iced coffee she got at Ghiradelli's was black coffee on ice - iced coffee right?

Apparently in Spain it's more like the iced mocha - with the whipped cream on top. If she'd read the menu it would have explained it.
  13. Johnie

Aha I see the problem. I get iced coffee pretty frequently. However mine is usually with caramel flavoring as well. That's probably what grandma thought it would be. It's sweet and cold and a lovely brown color.
  14. Johnie

And my iced coffee never has whipped cream on top. Frappacinos have whipped creme. Usually
  15. uscwest

Ah, the Ghirardelli iced coffee is more like what we call iced coffee in New England. When I was younger I used to drink iced coffee with cream and sugar. In the many years since I switched to drinking only black coffee hot I haven't had an iced coffee like this. My mother drank it right up until she passed. I figured it was a New England thing.
  16. Beccaberry

I was thinking the same thing, John...sounds like what I get at Dunkin...my favorite during the summer, though I do add a splash of cream and splenda.
  17. Dawn

It did say on the menu exactly what you would get for each item.

She did this several times. Ordered something clearly described on a menu and then complained it wasn't what she was expecting.
  18. Tink

Did she not read the menu, perhaps? Some people order by what they think it's going to be. I know I've done that a time or two myself. :)

I like coffee over ice and yes, I put a touch of cream in it. Usually don't go with sweetener. I've had to add a touch of cream to my usual black (hot) over the past few months. The stomach was protesting. Ahhhhh, aging. It's a marvelous adventure.
  19. Beccaberry

I don't know that I could ever go w/out cream, and seriously? if my Jon tries to switch me to 2% milk ever again because "youwon'tnoticethedifferenceanyway" I will most assuredly throttle the boy. I am, however, trying to cut back on the artificial sweetener as I do realize it's not an incredibly healthy option. I've gone from needing 3 in my coffee to only using 1...
  20. Tink

And I do mean cream, thank you. Nothing else will work, which is why I usually don't drink coffee that I've not prepared myself.