1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Trip Report Day 2 - Ohana and Magic Kingdom

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dawn, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Still on UK time I'm up at 4.45am. Everyone else is up by 6am. The plan is to leave by 7am for our ADR at 7.35am. Steven announced that there was no time for a number 2 then. Apparently he was referring to the numbered bags in his new Lego set and he only had time to complete bag number one.

So at 7am we're all sat by the front door. Adrian has vanished. Eventually he turns up and we in the car and off. It's a quick drive to the Magic Kingdom parking lot and we are parked in Aladdin row 36 which for the uniniated is right at the front! Well give or take a couple of rows. So close we walk through the underpass to the TTC. And what's happened to the parking lot? When did it become Heroes and Villains? Took away my morning rush to get parked in Chip and Dale. Bit undecided on whether I like this or not.

Anyway we are up the monorail ramp and straight on board for the short journey to the Polynesian. There's that familiar smell of the inside of a monorail car. Never been in the Polynesian before. It's a bit big. When you get out the monorail you enter the building and Ohana's is just over there. We checked in bang on time and were given our flashy beeping thing and instructed to line up for the plastic flowery things and to have our photo taken. Then we were seating immediately in a restaurant that was about a quarter full at 7.45am.

Drinks came quickly: coffee and that lovely juice that we all drank gallons of. The food was pretty good too: bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits, breakfast potatoes and Mickey waffles all served family style. Oh and little platters of fresh fruit with dipping yoghurt: that was lovely and refreshing. Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto all came to visit and signed Steven's book and posed with him for photos. About 9000 calories later we heaved ourselves out of there. It was just before 9am and the place was now packed. Then we had to all stand and wait while Adrian had a prolonged visit to the restroom. He came out and announced that while he was in there he had been Facebooking - and there's our new euphemism for restroom breaks!

A bit more smelly monorail and we're at the Magic Kingdom. It was the Iron Man monorail, now called the Manarail.

keith likes this.
  2. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

Great start to the day :0)

3. Dawn

Of course it's at least 10 minutes since anyone visited a restroom so that's our first stop. Then it's the application of the suncream and we're off up Main St. Never mind all those Photopass photographers, we'll get them later, Steven wants to go on Buzz Lightyear. We stop on the bridge for a Photopass photo - just the one - and then we're into Tomorrowland. There's a 5 minute wait for Buzz so we're straight in and then on the way out we get our photos added to the Photopass card.

What trip to Tomorrowland would be complete without the People Mover? No wait again and we are told to cram the 5 of us into one vehicle. Not so bad on a dull day but today was very sunny and we are all plastered in suncream and have no friction between us. We managed to get in the car but every time one of us moved another one of us threatened to pop out of the car so we all had to keep very still.

We got a Fast Pass for Space Mountain which had a 30 minute stand by wait and wandered back towards Carousel of Progress. On the way we stopped at a water fountain to refill bottles but Grandma was paranoid that the drinking water wasn't drinking water so went without. There was our group of 5 and another group of 5 in the theatre so of course we all sat together right down the front. I was horrified to see that the sign said "Disneys Carousel of Progress." APOSTROPHE!!!!!!!!

So after this we all came out singing and headed for a restroom before those of us riding Space Mountain did riding. Then we spotted it. Push! Push the talking trash can was wandering through Tomorrowland so we had to stop and watch. Very funny. Then it was Space Mountain which gave me a good rattling.

From here we took the back path into the new Fantasyland area. Steven turned down a ride on Barnstormer - he's a ride wimp. He had a play in the new water jet area and then went to meet Goofy and Donald. He'd been saying that he needed Daisy's autograph as that was one he didn't get last trip. Well there she is son, over there with no line. And for a bonus you get Minnie too. Nah, meeting characters isn't cool anymore. *facepalm* He did however meet Pooh and Tigger just a few minutes later leaving me even more confused.

We went round to the new Beast Castle area and saw the line for Be Our Guest snaking out of the door and Cast Members handing out umbrellas to the liner uppers as it was extremely hot again. We had a wander about before going into Gaston's Tavern for a drink where Steven tried Le Feu's Brew. Very sweet. While we were in there my mind drifted to maple syrup - as it does - and I came to the conclusion that as it comes from a tree then it must be a fruit. When we came out there was a long line waiting to meet Gaston. We didn't wait.

We went to Mickey's Philharmagic. There was a lady in there. She ignored the "move all the way to the end of the row" instruction. The human traffic backed up in her row. The instruction was repeated. She ignored it. Repeat several times. Eventually human traffic climbs all over this woman and moves to end of row. Cast Member throws hands up in despair. Anyway Philharmagic was awesome as always. We bypassed Peter Pan as it had an 80 minute wait. Why does it always have such a long wait? I mean it's a neat little ride but it's not a "must rush at park opening and get a Fast Pass for Peter Pan as my life won't be complete if I don't ride it" sort of thing. Eighty minutes is just ridiculous. Even more ridiculous was the 20 minute wait for It's A Small World.

Actually it turned out to be more like 10 minutes because we got in line and rode it! Oh yeah! Steven refused to sing though.

4. Dawn

After Small World we had a bit of a break while Adrian went for a Facebook and strolled into Frontierland. The lines for the mountains are long and we're beginning to fade so the decision is made to head back to Main St and catch the parade before heading out for the day. Grandma got told off for standing in the "not allowed to stand here" area and then complained she couldn't see the parade because she was so short. At least that one wasn't my fault!

We caught the monorail back to the TTC and walked back to Aladdin row 36 before driving Sheldon back to the villa. Straight in the pool for everyone except Grandma who apparently couldn't go swimming because her swimming costume was wet... After a swim I scraped all the suncream off in the shower before throwing some laundry in the machine. Then I ate an apple in a vain attempt to consume a regular supply of fruit. There was a storm brewing in the area and the water on the pool went really rough all of a sudden apparently. Someone hadn't noticed the filter had come on!

In the evening we had beer and Tostitos for dinner and introduced Nanny Lesley to the Big Bang Theory. She liked it.

5. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Peter Pan is the only place we've experienced wait times over what was posted. It said 15 minutes and the line looked short, so in we went. It was 45 minutes in the end! I was NOT impressed!

6. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Dawn, great story and a good way to start your visit to MK...we usually head over to Frontierland first and work our way across to Tomorrowland. You certainly hit some high spots there, especially the TTA/People Mover/WEDway. What was lacking?? Oh I know...no mention of a certain Dole product that will go un named!:unsure:

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Hahaha! I shall use the Facebook excuse. Sadly it is usually true

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

And here I thought that Steven meant that he didn't have time to do a #2 in the Facebook. :laugh: I have to laugh that Grandma said she couldn't go swimming because her swimsuit was wet. Adrian's mom sounds like a hoot.

9. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Have been duped by this ride more than once, to my own chagrin. It always looks so much shorter, but it's always so much longer!

Great report!

10. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Another lovely report!!! I'm getting a real kick out of Adrian's Mom. She seems quintessentially Mother in Law! :D

11. Dawn

Be patient sir, we will get there. ;)

12. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Does it look like this guy can be patient with that???? tn_DSC_1426.JPG

13. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Brilliant report yet again! I could almost feel that first journey to the Magic Kingdom, when we mad Brits are so mixed up with time....sigh...

When we went to Ohana's for breakfast for the first time it was because we were on the Premium DDP, and we were trying everywhere just for the heck of it. We weren't really expecting to like it, but we really loved it and would go every time now!

14. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I know what Grandma means... I hate getting into a wet swimsuit, wouldn't stop me though!

15. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Priceless..... :lol:

Hurrah! :)