1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Delta/Northwest Airlines Merger...

Discussion in 'General' started by Vixynne, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

Not sure how many folks here might be affected by the ongoing absorption of Northwest Airlines into Delta; but on the off chance that it could be helpful, I thought I'd share my experience. :thumbsup:

We just received our Disney Express packet of luggage tags and information for the express shuttle from Orlando's airport. So far, so good.

Then, in the following day's mail, a notice arrived from my travel agent. She needed to inform us that our flight information had changed. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the departure times seemed to be only slightly changed (by about five minutes on the flight to Florida, and by 45 minutes later for the flight home). I got worried only when I noticed the flight numbers themselves were changed, and then reached near-panic mode when I saw that our Magical Express packet contained the old flight numbers.

I dialed the Magical Express customer service number and spoke with a really terrific lady named Janet. She let me know that the change in flight numbers was strictly due to the merger between Delta and Northwest, and that Disney's Magical Express wouldn't have any difficulty changing their information to match; in fact, she made the change while I was on the phone, and then gave me the green light to just write in the new flight numbers on my packet for my own reference.

She recommended that I call back within 48 hours of each flight just to be 100% sure that no other changes are made, but overall, it was a totally painless experience. I (once again) had gone from zero to heart attack in three seconds flat---but this time, it turned out just fine. Good news, LOL...especially since this is the first time I've traveled with my kids as the only grownup, and I'm notoriously bad at getting all the t's crossed and the i's dotted!

Just wanted to let people know, if you're traveling on Delta anytime soon, you might want to give them a call (or ask your travel agent to do so), in case your flight numbers or times have shifted! :yes:
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

They merged about a year ago didn't they? We bought tickets withdelta for last summer and ended up on a flight operated by north west.
  3. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

Yes, I think it may have been a long and gradual process...I believe the original announcements came out last year, but when I booked my trip last April, everything was set up with Delta's standard flight numbers. Our departing flight, #1435 (Boston to Orlando) has been that flight number for a good long time. I'm not sure why the merger caused us to be assigned to flight #1321, but it definitely took me by surprise.

I guess I made the mistake of assuming that since Northwest was the company being absorbed, nothing about Delta would be changing. :unsure: I'm not much for paying close attention to corporate announcements, but I've learned my lesson this time!
    Luckily, my panic was groundless. :yes:
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i know we weren't quite sure where to check in but we could have with either :thumbsup:
  5. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

Heh...I just got off the phone with my travel agent, to make sure I wouldn't have any problems at check-in. I know, the trip is still more than three weeks away, but I'm trying to pre-solve any possible problems, at least as much as it's possible to do so! Sometimes it helps to hear the Voice of Reason on the other end of the telephone reassuring me that it's going to all work out, one way or another. Plus, I just tell myself they're paid to deal with nutcakes such as myself, right? I can't be the first Nervous Nellie they've met!

I wouldn't be so neurotic if I were traveling by myself, or if I had another adult accompanying me and the kids; but the idea of being lost in the corporate shuffle with two kids in tow is just making my hair go white from fear...so I make a phone call or two, and suddenly I'm back among the (mostly) sane.

Travel stresses me out a bit (nervous excitement, really), and as it's my first go-round at totally planning everything myself, I think I'm going a bit off the deep end.
    Anyone got a life preserver? :point: :surrender: