1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Dictation apps

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Johnie, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Hi all,

I am looking for an app that I can talk into my iPhone (or maybe a tablet if I decide to get one) and it will dictate onto the app. I can then send it to my email. Essentially, I would like to use driving time to get some case notes done.

I have the Dragon Dictation app. Tried it out last night and it got some words wrong. I don't think my accent is that bad :unsure:

Anyway, someone had told me about AudioNote, Omnifocus, and Evernote. They all have a charge and I'm not sure they work any better than Dragon.

Any suggestions? I don't mind paying for the app as long as it works and understands me :yes:

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I've not personally tried much other than dragon but I do know that there's a mutual learning curve with these apps.

In other words, it'll try and learn your speech patterns but you'll also learn to change your speech a little as well, so both sides learn a little and thus the success rate is massively improved after a week or so compared to when you first try it.

So it may be worth persevering for a while

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

:thumbsup: good deal. Well it wasn't so bad that I can't figure out what I meant. I was just shocked that it got some words wrong.

4. keith

if you'd ever tried programming a computer to recognise speech you'd be shocked it got any words right :)

5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i was using the one on the ipad to write essays earlier this year, i found that i learnt how to say things so that it would type what i wanted it to, then i'd go back and correct it. A bit of a respite from typing, i do type but sometimes it's a pain

6. keith

It's one of those things that I find annoying to use unless it's perfect and we don't quite have the tech to get it perfect today. We will get there though!

It just shows how wonderful the human body is that it can hear so many different accents, fractions of conversations overheard in a busy room and process it all so well. Incredibly hard to get a computer to come anywhere close at the moment.

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Ain't that the God's honest truth! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... who programs with a LISP. :ROFL:)