1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

dilemma : go to Disney with friends or not

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disneymom, Sep 7, 2010.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

help me out someone anyone because this is keeping me awake nights!

We have the possibility to go to disney world again next year and were thinking of a villa

friends have caught on to this and almost invited themselves. Well not quite, theyre saying things like "our villa" and "let us know when to pay" when we havent exactly offered.

The thing is it would make it more affordable but they'd probably want to be with us all the time and Im thinking of a family holiday

So what would you do? go with them , not go with them, try and establish ground rules??? help!
  2. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

Well, I guess it does depend on how close you all are. Have you spent time with them before?

My personal experience:
    My family went to WDW with my very best friend and her family. (Both had 2 adults and 2 children.)
    We travelled there together and stayed at the same resort, in nearby rooms.
    Now, these were longstanding friends that were as close as family. But once there we discovered that their idea of fun was not the same as ours.
    E.g: We all loved spending a lot of time at Epcot... they declared it 'boring'. :shrug: We liked to get up and out to the Parks early.... they liked getting up late.
    Luckily, we didn't fall out over any of it but I would never do it again. Going separately and meeting up is better. :thumbsup:
    Anyway, that's just my experience. Only you know how close you all are. :yes:
  3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We have beem to WDW [and on cruises] several times with friends and never had a problem.
    Then again those folks were very close friends so I guess a lot depends on how dear they are to you.
    As you say, if you are staying in a villa, then that will certainly help with your expenses but I`d certainly set out the ground rules before you go.

Maybe suggest that you and your friends have separate cars, suggesting that "We could then all do our own thing", and maybe meeting up for the occasional dinner?
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tough one! I think that you need to determine what you want from the holiday. If it's something other than what you think you'll have with your friends, then you'd be better off speaking up now.

Otherwise, go with them, maybe have a good "talk" to decide what everyone's expectations are and decide how things will "run."
  5. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We went on holiday with family - there were 12 of us in total. We all got on fine, made it very clear before we went that there was no obligation to do everything together and if someone wanted to do or go somewhere else then none of us would be offended! I think if you make things like that clear before you go then it would be fine!
  6. Tink

That's what we've done too. Gone with large family groups, but we all go off and do our own things. There were a couple of touchy spots... but we all survived. Coming together for meals/ dinner seems to work best for us.

I guess the one thing I've learned is that other people's opinions (regardless of family status) really don't matter when you are on holiday. By that I mean (for example) one time I rented a convertible for Herself and I (the rest were off doing something else) and someone in the group commented on it negatively after the fact. No matter. We had a great time and were not sorry to have done it at all!

It can get touchy though... so be ready to just smile a lot. :)
  7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

We have family that want to come with us next year, I have just said that if they happened to be there at the same time we would meet up a couple of times but I wouldn't stay in a villa with them. They have a toddler, don't go out in the evenings and would expect us to stay in. I'm paying a lot of money for my holiday and also have limited time off. Don't want to spend my holidays running after a toddler and fitting in basically. I have of course been branded a witch but why change the habit of a lifetime. :tongue: I will do anything for you normally but don't mess with my holidays lol
  8. Scott1066

Scott1066 Earning my ears

We have always gone with other people and family. The first time we did have a fall out but it was soon resolved. The other times we have had fantastic times, we were together about three quarters of the time. The whole time was great, we are close friends still. We are however going as a family unit this time with 1 extra my daughters boyfriend who is a really cracking bloke and we can't wait to show him around.I would set ground rules before you go, try to sort out some form of itinary that you want to do together and alone. It also works on the odd occasion that you cook at home to share the cooking, You cook one meal and then them the next. That is what we're doing sharing with my daughter on the 2 nights we're at home. I love eating out.
  9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

If you want to share some time with your friends at WDW then by all means invite them to come along and share the expenses. HOWEVER, as others have said, make sure that you set some ground rules. Two cars would be a must. Let them know that both families don't have to do the exact same thing at the exact same time, especially meals. If you want to have some meals together or visit the parks together by all means do so. Best to have some ground rules in effect so that each family knows what is going on.
  10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Well.. just from my experience

the first time I went to Disney (I was 10) we went with another family, one of my dad's best friends... they had gone before...

honestly? I HATED going with them, I remember I really wanted to ride Peter Pan, and my dad's friend just said, no, thats a boring ride, we are skipping it.... yeap.. we skipped it... we went back the next year, got on Peter Pan and LOVED IT!!!

And I think it was worse because we had just ONE car, so there was no, "lets go our separate ways and meet later on"... since we HAD to arrive and leave together...

I think that its doable do, weve done Disney with my sister and her then boyfriend twice without issues, but it has always been.. we ARE doing this, you decide if you want to come, or meet us later... turns out, travelling with an 18mo really changes what you can and want to do, so we mostly saw each other for meals and a few shows...

Ok.. Im rambling..

Just think that it CAN be done, as long as you are clear and YOU dont change your plans, but dont expect them to adhere to your plans either...
  11. Tink

Can you believe the first people I went to WDW with (day trip, MK only) told me not to bother with EPCOT!!! They said only drunks and smokers went there. Nice huh?

Needless to say, I don't even KNOW those people any more. :rolleyes:
  12. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

never ever ever ever ever :thumbsdown:

we did it once and it was a disaster, we never spoke to them again. holidays are for family now and the most I'd ever do would be meet up with them for a meal now and then
  13. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

For us it’s a no as it’s the only time we get to spend as a family each year. My husband works away in London most week days and is only home at the weekends, so we value our time together on our summer holidays, however my friend was there at the same time as us this year and we met up for the day and had a fab time, but us personally as a family we couldn’t go for the whole holiday with family or friends.
  14. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

As Slowhand has said, if you decide to go together I would definately get 2 cars and do your own thing and just meet up when you all decide you want to.

We have never shared our holiday with anyone as Jai works really hard, long hours and just wants to relax and not think of others when we are away.

Saying that, lots of people do it very succesfully, so make sure you have a proper talk about expectationns before you decide for sure.

Hope it all works out for you, it's a trickey one :hug2:

Sandra
  15. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Since you asked for opinions, I will just simply say, "nope don't bring them along" :D
  16. Scott1066

Scott1066 Earning my ears

What you have got to remember is that any holiday is special, this one however is very special and if you have doubts already then its possibly not worth the risk. It isn't by any means a cheap holiday and to screw it up with people you thought friends. It could work wonderfully well, but if you have thought it necassary to ask for advise then I don't think you really want it to happen. You could as others have already suggested have seperate villa's you definetly need seperate cars that was the one thing we feel out about on our first ever trip. Tell your friends that if you do go and have seperate villa's that you could meet up at various places and share your experiences over your evening meal.
  17. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

This can be tricky and has caused us problems in the past. What we do now, if we are going with family or friends, is send them a list of everything "WE" want to do, see and items not to be missed. Suggest they do the same. Compare lists and decide early what places you might be able to do together, places to dine together and so on.

Make sure to do this as soon as possible because the closer you get to the trip the harder it will be to plan.