1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Dining near Florida Mall

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Britchick, Oct 31, 2012.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

our own fault really, should've told the taxi cab to park by the b&n entrance. Shouldn't really have done that walk across to the mall, it's not really designed for it and I tend to wear a sports coat type jacket even out there in 90degrees :lol: which probably doesn't help fitting in ;-)

but yeah, not a wonderful area IMHO

2. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

That is awful! Tbh we only really go to the Florida Mall out of habit and as long as I can find a nice Hallmark shop elsewhere I don't need to go anymore! :lol:
    I really like The Loop shopping centre :yes:

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

That sort of thing is exactly what I'm talking about. It's broad daylight and those low life scum are robbing from people, and sometimes actually hurting them. One woman was severely injured when she had her purse grabbed by someone in a car. She refused to let go and was dragged quite some way before being forced to release the purse.

There are any number of other shopping areas that do not have as much associated crime. The Loop (although I don't go there) is fairly new and is not laden with parking lot hoodlums.

Winter Garden Village is a very nice place to shop, browse, dine and have a stroll. Not a huge selection of stores but there is a Best Buy, a very nice Barnes and Noble, a Target and a good variety of other small shops. There are full service and counter service restaurants too. :yes:

Winter Park is another popular place to stroll and shop, but it's more like a village setting and is not a mall or strip mall. The stores are an eclectic collection of small shops, and there are a number of restaurants of all types. There is street parking, and it can be a real challenge sometimes.

Millenia Mall is still fairly ok, but be highly alert at the holidays. Again, those mall parking lots are huge and people get accosted in them all too often. Park as close to the door as you can and do not bring your purchases out to the car and leave them and return to the mall. Even if you put them in the trunk of the car, you are running the real risk of having them stolen. Thieves watch and when you are gone it's a simple matter to pop the trunk and steal your purchases.

As with any heavily visited area, there is the constant presence of crime, so always have your wits about you and be alert to who is approaching you.

And for the record, never EVER not once go to West Oaks Mall. It is an extremely dangerous place no matter what time of day.

4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

...................and you will get told off by Tink :anxious:

Seriously though, I've never been so scared at a Mall in all my life :nono:

5. canesandphins1

canesandphins1 Imagineer

Ill second the west oaks mall you need a tank and the national guard to go there

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We rarely go to any of the malls in FL as neither of us really likes to shop unless we have to. But I shall file Florida Mall in the back of my mind. That really sounds scary Keith.

7. keith

to be honest, at the time I wasn't really that bothered. I was just reacting in the moment and because we never used to drive, we've walked around areas we probably shouldn't have. So it's far from the first time I've been confronted by someone asking for money and I'm used to being pretty definitive and robust in response. It was only when we got back to the hotel and I had a chance to wonder if they'd had knives or if it had've been dark with no one else around :/ We'd walked that route FROM the mall across to bestbuy before fairly late in the evening so....

yeah scary and another reason I'm glad I let you all talk me into hiring a car when we go! :yes:

8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

so why don't the police do something about it?

I'm not going to the FM now, there will only be Caitlin and I so i don't want anything scary! Maybe we'll get a town car to MoM, it has the stores we need i guess.

9. keith

I did see quite a lot of state trooper cars around the car parks last time we were there so perhaps they're trying. A lot of area to watch out for though I guess especially with idiots like me wandering around car parks and unlit non-existant walkways. Shared responsibility for safety and all that

I wouldn't let it worry you too much. A taxi/town car to the florida mall should drop you off right by the entrance and collect you there again later anyway. MoM is a MUCH better experience though if it has everything you want

10. Britchick

it's cheaper to go to MoM - i got quoted $110 to FM it's around $70 to MoM

11. keith

wow it's normally almost identical to both from Disney :/ there's no way on earth that it's $40 more to FM, I definitely think they've got that wrong (although which one is wrong is an interesting question!)

12. Britchick

i'll check and get some quotes from other places

13. keith

I'd expect about $40-45 each way to either mall from Disney (a little less from downtown disney or close) so there and back in a towncar, the $110 sounds right and the $70 sounds really cheap

14. canesandphins1

canesandphins1 Imagineer

I live in Orlando they are killing you guys with the cost of the car I never thought about until I seem these prices

15. Britchick

I looked and I got mixed up with the sea world quote Keith! $100 for both malls + tip

16. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Oh my goodness Keith, Im sorry that happened to you. I will definitely not walk across that road and will go for Tink's suggestion and get a taxi to the other B&N. Thank you for your advice.

Mags

17. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I thought CHEESCAKE FACTORY was in the MALL OF MILLENIUM

18. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

That's true, Robert. It is. :yes:

19. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The post I answered and referenced the cheesecake factory was when Julie was talking about going to Florida mall

20. Britchick

I'm scared now to leave the disney bubble :sorry: