1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Dining Plan affects Menu at Yachtsman Steakhouse

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Wendy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

The dining plan has struck again. It seems that because people on the dining plan were ordering items that were not available on the plan, some things have had to be removed.

Lobster and escargot have now been removed from the menu.

I spoke with Ricardo about this and he said that even though they were previously shown on the menu in red, people on the plan were still ordering and then arguing at then saying they didn't realise.

So now everyone loses out as it has been taken off the menu completely.

I wish Disney would just stop the dining plan or produce a separate menu completely for guests on the plan.
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Once again, the dining plan reduces an excellent restaurant experience to the mediocre. :(
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

sigh, truly annoying
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I must agree, there was nothing overly exciting on the menu last night. In fact Donna had a different menu that the other three of us and chose the vegetarian option. When the server, unfortunately not Ricardo due to an illness in the family, came to the table Donna asked her about it and was told that choice was no longer available. She opted for the new vegetarian entree, even though it contained squash which she managed to eat around.
  5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

I guess I'm just going to have to settle for taking cruises instead of going to WDW. Not that that's bad mind you. At least on the cruise, I know what I can eat.

Everything! :happydance:

Tom :)macwave:... why yes, I will have a second entrée!)
  6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

The pesky dining plan strikes yet again! :hopmad:
  7. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

This is disappointing. Why should people who don't do the dinning plan be punished? They either need to have separate menus for dinning planners or make more restaurants 2 credits if they serve items like Lobster and escargot. If not they may as well make every restaurant cafeteria style because that's what it's coming to. Well, maybe not that bad yet but you know what I mean.
  8. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Imagineer

So is it no longer ok to buy dishes OOP if you're on the dining plan?
  9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

yes you can :yes: i don't understand as those things were on the appetiser menu and you don't get appetisers with the regular plan. I guess people threw tantrums as they couldn't have everything they wanted so rather than upset the people on dining plans Disney has dummed down their menus. :rolleyes3:
  10. Wendy

I must admit as much as I used to line the Yachtsman's I don't think I would go again. Admittedly we were unable to have the best server because of reasons beyond his control, but the one we had was useless. The menu was very limited and sadly the steak as so so. Chris likes his well done and has never had problem before but this time it was still pink. He didn't want to make a fuss so he ate it.
  11. Wendy

Stupid tapatalk not letting me edit. What I wanted to add was that we paid over $100 and have had better steaks at the Longhorn. Don't think we'll be going again.

There used to be lobster as a main course Brit and from what Ricardo said all the restaurants will be changing their menus to remove the expensive items.

The dining plan is a curse it should be counter service only :sorry;
  12. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

The menu I saw only had the lobster as a starter. Maybe they should get rid of the signature restaurants off the dining plan, might be a compromise
  13. Tink

I remember years and years ago when Disney started bringing in true chefs to develop the menus and increase the quality of their food out of theme park hot dog status to truly fine dining. I remember not so terribly long ago (but closer to ten years than not) when Spoodles was new and winning rave reviews from food critics. I remember when Disney chose to do away with Food and Beverage managers and go with Executive Chefs.

There was pride in the food and true menu and recipe development. Dining in the higher end restaurants meant excellent food (guaranteed) and the same for service.

Now, it's slid back to theme park mentality. That's fine, as it is after all a theme park. So stop with the fake "fine dining" and ridiculous prices for mediocre food and service.

It's really an issue with me as you can tell. We used to love nothing better than our walks around Epcot finished by, "where do you want to eat tonight?" That's not how it goes now, and I'm mourning the loss. :(
  14. keith

we feel that too.

First time we went we "found" le cellier tucked in that little corner of Canada. It was so great to find something new. They were practically begging people to come in back then and were chatting outside to us before taking us in. We had the best experience! Now it's very much conveyer belt service, roll them in, 1,2,3, bill em, roll them out asap.

I should note that le cellier also had lobster as extras available on its menu along with other things that the server used to mention. They were the first casualties of the dining plan back in the day where you could have anything on the menu. They just couldn't do it for the cost so it had to go.
  15. Tink

I remember that too, Keith! They used to actually put a CM at the top of the walkway with a menu and a smile to get the attention of people! We had several lovely dinners there, and then the crashing failures.

We never did make it to Cali Grill in it's hey day. That was a miserable experience.

Artist Point is another place that has changed so much that it's been ruined. :( Our last visit there was completely mediocre. The server recognized that too and did his best but you can't fix low quality food with sloppy preparation.

Even our beloved Cape May has taken a turn for the worse. :( :( :( They've taken that delicious chicken off the menu and their ribs. Now, I wasn't a huge fan of the ribs, but the chicken was so good! They do their service differently too so the food (shellfish in particular) is not as readily available. Sure do miss that one. It was a long standing favorite for anytime we didn't know what we wanted. I remember having lobster there too but that's way back in '96 or so. It was an additional cost (to the buffet).

Heck, I remember Micky Bars before they went on a diet. :)

That's the problem for me. I guess we've been around too long. :(
  16. keith

yep ;( last time there was only us and one other table in use at Artist point and yet they sat us right next to the kitchen door. Two small tables, perched on top of each other, right next to the opening/closing kitchen door.

Eventually we asked the server who snapped "no point spreading you out all over the restaurant"... ok but we dont need to be right next to the door either. The salmon was tasteless and the service very mediocre. Contrast that to a few years ago, you wouldn't believe it was the same place.

sure feels that way doesn't it.
  17. uscwest

Sigh, :rolleyes3: those certainly were the good old days weren't they Tink? I haven't found JIKO dumbed down but most of the other restaurants certainly have been. I've said for years that they need to totally revamp the free dining. If you are on the Free DDP then you should receive a special menu with a limited number of items. Folks who purchase things like the Deluxe Dining Plan should still have the opportunity to order what they wish however.
  18. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Sigh... :sigh:

I remember that also. And now? :thumbsdown:

Wonder if we could start an online petition or a Facebook group or something to encourage the return to grander days. I'm sure that us complaining in our own safe little world in here isn't going to get Disney's attention. And if we're fed up with it, there's got to be other people who are too.

Tom :)macwave:... just sayin'...)
  19. uscwest

I like the FB idea Tom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  20. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Great minds think alike Tom. I was just going to post a similar comment. :thumbsup: