1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Dining Plan affects Menu at Yachtsman Steakhouse

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Wendy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Ok then.

How about some suggestions for group or whatever names. :unsure:

Personally I wouldn't want anything derogatory. But still something that expresses our displeasure.

Something like maybe "Disappointing Disney Dining". Or something. But catchy. If you get my drift.

Get some ideas going here.

Tom :)macwave:... we need to go viral!)
  2. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Hungry for Better Disney Dinning
    Sack Lunch the Disney Dinning Plan
    Disgruntled Disney Dinners
  3. catrancher

Good, good, good!

Keep 'em coming. After we get everyone's input, I'll start a poll where we can vote for the favorite.

Maybe this'll work! :fingers:

Tom :)macwave:... here's hoping...)
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I like the idea of making it a positive thing, instead of focusing on the negative.

Perhaps we can have a forum here that is "Reminiscing" or "Disney Nostalgia" or something like that. We can discuss not only dining but how the parks used to sparkle, how bus drivers used to be funny and interact with guests, how there used to be the double decker buses in EPCOT, those sorts of things.

The bots will pick up the info and may actually lead people back here.

Disney does troll boards, so they could end up seeing it. OR, once we've got a good thread or ten going, we can copy the posts to an email and email Disney relations.

What are your thoughts on that?
  5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

To be honest, I don't think Disney cares. The annual pass holders, the locals, the ones who keep returning, Disney knows they have us. Disney is doing everything they can to lure in the first timers and those who only come visit occasionally.

I know many don't like the dining plan but Disney is not getting rid of it anytime soon. People LOVE it. They think it's a bargain and they love to have it paid for already.

For me, we are back to eating off site more and more. Even with my Tables in Wonderland discount, Disney prices have become do overinflated (due to the dining plan) that I cannot justify the cost.

And I am a hardcore Disney lover as the majority of you know :-(
  6. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I totally agree. We've had free dining the last few times we've been, and we're on it again next year. I certainly wouldn't mind having a different menu. Thing is though, as long as the restaurants stay full, they won't change it I don't think....
  7. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Oh dear, I seem to be in the minority here. We had the dining plan and managing to use it quite wisely had 2 beautiful dinners at the Yachtsman with the wonderful Ricardo. He was so lovely and I told him that I knew Terry and Sue and after we had the meal we all received kisses (no not DS, they shook hands). We booked for our last night and I specifically asked for Ricardo and once again he was fantastic. We also ate at the California Grill which again was a fantastic meal. We stayed at the wonderful BC and I'm sorry I missed you Wendy but I got your message about meeting just as I arrived back home. We ate at Cape May and also at the ESPN which I would never go to again. Food awful, too loud and didn't understand the sports. We also had a couple of nice meals at Nine Dragons. We don't have big appetites so never have a starter, just the bread and dip and then after the main meal, a dessert, that could have been why we enjoyed it. I also quite like Raglan Road. It was a great holiday and we're now planning on going back to the BC at Easter 2014, so busy saving. :thumbsup:
  8. Tink

It's good to hear there are still some good meals and experiences out there!

But you and I are biased! :D We LOVE the BC!

I totally agree on ESPN, wicked loud and so over all the sports. Food used to be "ok," nothing special but "ok." No longer, eh? :unsure:
  9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We had a wonderful meal at Citrico's last night. However, before we went in we had drinks at the bar. Our server was Lynnette. She was telling us that most of the wait staff hate the dining plan because folks will come in and run up what would be a $200-$300 meal and leave NO tip.:rolleyes3::rolleyes3::rolleyes3:
  10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Im really going to have to give Citrico's another try :yes:

The dining plan was much better value when it included the tip that's for sure. I know a lot of UK people who've been very upset when they've been sold a vacation package including "all meals" and then found out that there was an expectation of 20-25% in tips.

Now we need to look at that in a bit more detail. The folks going out should perhaps have done some more research into cultural expectations, but when someone is marketed over here as "included" it means you don't pay any extras.

The last group to come back told us that they were routinely spending $70 or more a meal in tips alone for the four of them and that the "norm" was represented as 25%. I said nahhh come on, 15-20% for excellent service but then I go and read the Orlando sentinel where it says that yep, servers in Orlando now consider 25% to be normal, more for exceptional service.

No wonder they're frequently disappointed IMHO!

Anyway that's a tip rant, it's sad if they're getting zero on a $200 meal :( I do wonder how many people are deliberately stiffing the server and how many just don't realise they're supposed to be tipping.

I think the plan should have specific menus, lower cost menus and tip included. It would prevent a lot of problems :yes:
  11. Tink

Cold day in nether regions when I customarily tip 25%. That's rubbish. 15-20% is absolutely acceptable. IRS surmises 12%, so anything above that is gravy.
  12. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

as a local orlando resident do you think it's accurate that 25% is becoming "the expected norm" or is it just something for tourists to get trapped with?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/19601215/report-says

I must admit, tipping 20% doesn't often even get a thank you often these days, perhaps this is why!
  13. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Our average tipping last year for 4 adults was $25. I see that as a bargain!

I struggle with this one because I have used and will be using the dining plan. Last year it meant I could eat on site every day, had we not had the dining plan I would not have spent that money on food, just too much with paying for 4 adults. I do remember the early 2000s and the great meals we had and yes I think it is sad that things have deteriorated, although i didn't have a bad meal last year. A compromise would be the best idea I think- get rid of the signatures from the dining plan so that people can have their fine dining without things being dropped.
  14. catrancher

+1

Only I stick with the old 10 to 15 percent guideline. For outstanding service, I'll do 15. Anything less generally gets 10. Unless it's really abysmal service in which case I generally leave just enough to really insult them. What can I say, I'm old school.

If they think 25% is normal now, my words to them are "get over it". It just ain't gonna happen. Don't like it? Tough! Things are rough all over.

Tom :)macwave:... really old school.)
  15. Tink

No, I absolutely DO NOT see the 25% as a valid tipping amount, nor do I see it happening here. I think it's a ploy to bilk people. But then, we ALL know how much I HATE the tipping nonsense.

In Vancouver (can you stand it?) they pay their servers a fair wage. Tipping is still done, but 15% is HUGE there. The fiction that is put forth here that the meal prices would soar and no one would go out is rubbish, too. There were plenty of people dining out, and not just in low end places either.

I'm with you Catrancher. 15% is a fair tip and a goodly amount, especially when you start getting into triple digit totals.
  16. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'll chime in more when I get on a keyboard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  17. Tink

I find the whole tipping culture to be embarrassing and a bit pathetic. Pay a fair wage and call it good.

The CNAs on my staff work their fingers to the bone and often (most often) for LESS than $10 per hour (and some of them have been working there for years and years). No one tips them and they are caring for people's lives. As a matter of fact if they accept a monetary gift (or any personal gift at all) they'll immediately lose their jobs.
  18. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

We were discussing tipping at dinner last night. My friend's husband owns a restaurant. Apparently the friend called in a curbside order and the waitstaff complained that she didn't tip. I'm not tipping for curbside. I'm
    Not tipping to pick it up inside either. I will tip of I'm inside eating or drinking.

25% is crazy to be expected!! Holy moly
    I hate the whole tipping culture. I provide excellent services to my clients but you don't see a tip jar on my desk. Why? It's absurd and I'm not making $2.39 or whatever an hour.

I don't tip housekeeping either. They are making above minimum wage.
  19. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

You are not alone:hug2: We have used the dining plan for our last 2 trips and we have been very pleased with it :yes: We were a party of 4 adults and 2 kids last trip and some of our meals I would have ditched if we had to pay out of pocket for them. I'm also not sure what it is, but we were very pleased with our food..each and every dinner. I don't know if we have low expectations, or what, but I don't have a lot of complaints about Disney food :unsure:
  20. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Whew thanks for that :hug2:. We were also 4 adults and it was so much easier to pay for meals, we just used one ticket till that was empty, then moved on to the next etc. It worked out brilliantly and we still had a load of snacks left. Hopefully it will still be on in 2012 as there will then be 5 adults :rolleyes3: