1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Dining plan good value for 2 adults 2 kids?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by mkTink, May 23, 2011.

1. mkTink

mkTink Earning my ears

Im going slowly mad I really am with all the dining plan information out there :(

There seems to be three main plans but are they good value? It doesnt seem like we'd save that much but would be tieing ourselves to eating at disney all the time?
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

To be honest i would never pay for the dining plan, it is too restrictive really. If you get it free though it may be worth thinking about
  3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Years ago, I did an actual comparison between what we spent one year when we dined on our own nickel and the following year when we were on the dining plan. As it turned out (back then, mind you), the dining plan was actually a reasonably good deal. At least for us. Keep in mind the fact that it was only for my DW and I. We both like to eat so usually, we'd have a big breakfast, a light lunch, the finally, a nice sit down dinner. Every night. And, we always would eat on Disney property. Never off site.

So, like I indicated earlier, for us it was a pretty good deal.

Your mileage may vary depending on your preferences.

Oh... and when I did this comparision, there was only a single dining plan available. It was the equivalent of today's normal Disney Dining Plan. No Gold, Platinum, or any other precious metal involved.

Tom :)macwave:... who enjoy's a good meal! Repeatedly.)
  4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I did a comparison a few years ago as well and it didn't really work out that well for us. We tend to eat a sit down breakfast and dinner each day and because I eat mainly the veggie or chicken option my choices are always the least expensive on the menus. We didn;t save very much at all and taking into consideration if anyone was ill or plans changed it wasn;t worth the tie in for us. It may be different now with the different plans but I can't bring myself to sit and compare it all again! :surrender:

I do buy an annual pass though and therefore also buy the Tables in Wonderland card - this gives you 20% off your food and drink bill (although there is an automatic 18% tip added).
  5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I guess I can see where the free dining might be of value to a family of four or more but I fail to see what a couple really saves because in order to get it you have to pay rack rate at the resorts.