1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disability Question

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by uscwest, Sep 29, 2010.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

OK everyone here is a question that I don't believe I have seen asked or answered. As everyone knows, I have an ICD (Implanted Cardio Defibrillator/Pacemaker) for which I also have a blue handicap card to hang in my car. Also as you now know they are replacing it 11 days before I leave for FL. I'm sure I won't need a Guest Assistance Pass for any rides I am still able to do but what about sitting in areas reserved for the handicapped? I'm not sure I can stand for long periods of time for the parades/fireworks, etc.

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

My limited understanding is that you'll need the pass, or need to be in a WC or ECV. Not positive though, so check with Guest Relations to be sure you have the latest information. WDW tends to change up their HC policies from time to time.

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Personally, I would rent an ECV or wheelchair. There are places for the parades and shows but nowhere really to sit down except on the ground.

If you are going to rent an ECV/wheelchair, I would get one from an off site place. They are much cheaper and you are guaranteed to have it when you need it.

You will also get complimentary valet parking at the resorts with the handicap tag.

4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Thanks Johnie. I knew about the Valet Parking already, plus we have a TIW Card which also gets us complimentary parking when we go to eat.

As for the ECV/Wheelchair, my cardiologist would actually prefer that I walk. For some reason I thought there were benches to sit on. Is that only around the lagoon at EPCOT? We rarely watch the parades at DHS or AKL.

5. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Are wheelchairs expensice to hire? It might be worth getting one and just using it when you feel you need to if you arent getting a pass?

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I know there are handicap spots at MK that do not have seats. I think the benches in the handicap seating at Epcot are very limited too.

Have you thought about getting one of those portable seats that also doubles as a cane? Those are nifty. I've seen ones that actually fold up so you can carry it sort of like a backpack and it's not so big.

example:

Product Description
    Flipstick is specifically designed and engineered to address the demand for a lightweight portable seat in the senior, healthcare and leisure markets.
    Flipstick comprises of a tough, durable aluminum stem and a high quality molded plastic seat.
    The non-slip rubber foot will cope with most indoor and outdoor surfaces and the Fold Away folds down into a compact shoulder bag.
    Flipstick is suitable for left or right handed use.
    Complete with matching shoulder bag.
    Recommended maximum weight usage is 280 lbs.

Attached Files:

7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

hi john

last trip i went on i was in a WC, there are plenty of spots reserved for the disabled and WC users. look out for roped off areas these are for the disabled and in WC's at MK the centre circle area at the end of main st is one area to watch the parades and is a great place for videoing and taking photos or to just watch :D

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Given the timing of the visit, John. Maybe you'll want to look into renting an ECV for your entire stay? :unsure: It surely can't hurt to take it easy a bit this time?

I'd rent one offsite though. The ones from Disney are stupid expensive now. :sigh:

9. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

I would be getting a guest assistance card. They tend not to ask for letters confirming your disability or health problem but i would take a letter form your consultant just to confirm. There cards are now different depending on how much help you will need. best to be safe.