1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disabled Facilities Grant

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by Debbie2, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

DS needs have significantly deteriorated over the past six months and the long term prognosis is for things to only get worse so after a ridiculously long wait we have finally been assessed by OT and she agrees that some major adaptations need to be done to our house to accommodate his needs.

The problem is she has been in and done her assessment and whilst we totally agree with her what DS needs we do not agree with her proposal. By doing things her way as a family we will lose our family bathroom (will become a wet room with just a shower, no bath). She wants to put a wheelchair elevator through from ground floor to his bedroom so we lose our dining room too. She then wants to put hoist tracking throughout upstairs and down. We will in effect live in a hospital rather than a home - her reply 'I'm only here to meet DS needs not the rest of the family, nor to make something aesthetically pleasing to me'

Our proposal is to convert our attached garage (which runs the length of the house) and make this into a bedroom/wet room with tracking for hoist. This will leave the rest of the house as it is. She just won't have it and says if we want that we fund it ourselves whereas her proposal will be fully funded by way of a disabled facilities grant.

I was wondering if any of you have any experiences in this area and if so, what happened in your case.

I am waiting on a surveyor this morning who is coming to advise me if my plan is feasible (can't see why it wouldn't be as water, plumbing and other utilities already in situ. A lot of houses on the estate have already converted their garages. She says the elevator alone will cost over £8500 and my first quote back to convert the garage is £11,000

Those of you caring for the disabled will know how I am feeling - why is everything such a battle :thumbsdown:
  2. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

stick to your guns and present a case, if that doesn't work then take it higher is my advice. Under the new personalisation agenda choice is the name of the game and carers needs are supposed to be taken into account too.
  3. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

I intend to. I was supposed to go to a seminar about personalisation last week - could kick myself now for not going.

How is this for ridiculous. OT has provided us with a new £600 bathlift for getting him in and out of the bath but we can't have a stairlift to get him upstairs to the bathroom. Apparently it's ok for us to injure ourselves carrying him up the stairs, not to mention the danger of it..madness
  4. Britchick

i'm saying nothing. Have any of you or your parents been in the Forces?
  5. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

My dad, rest his soul was in WW2 - he died in 2000, aged 79 :(
  6. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

The great news is OT has been with a surveyor employed by the Council this afternoon who has said her plan won't work as DS bedroom too small to accommodate the lift, bed and hoist

His recommendation to the council is to convert existing garage which is huge to his bedroom cum sitting room with a hall/lobby at back which will run into our kitchen so can use as utility AND to extend back of house for a huge wetroom.

Her face was a picture and I couldn't believe my ears - could have kissed him

So she has gone away to start the ball rolling. It's going to be a long process as plans to be drawn, permission to be granted and then the build/conversion. The great news is that whatever it costs, even if it exceeds the grant max of £30k we will not have to pay a penny.

I am so relieved. I've not slept for a few nights as been so angry and frustrated but feel happier now.
  7. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

That is brilliant news Debbie! Glad to see common sense has prevailed. All you can hope for now is that the whole process is done as quickly as possible.
  8. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

I've just noticed this thread and I can't tell you how happy I am for you :yes:
  9. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Debbie just read the thread through. I wouldn't have been able to give any advice, just a few:hug2:.
    BUT what a result. Thank goodness common sense came into play. You must be thrilled.
  10. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

That is fantastic news Debbie! Really pleased that sense has prevailed :yes:
  11. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

12. Britchick

i was wondering because SSAFA will sometimes help with things like this, glad its being sorted
  13. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Im so glad it work out Debbie :)

Im sure his room will turn out wonderful! and will make things easier for the whole family
  14. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Sounds like things are headed in the right direction!!

Keep us posted please :D
  15. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Thanks all.

Will of course keep you all updated.

I'm preparing for a long drawn out process but hoping all done for Christmas (and I mean 2009!!). Would be nice to have the dining room back for Christmas dinner this year.

I am so happy - feel like I have won the lottery. DS will have all the medical equipment he needs. DH and I will no longer be breaking our backs caring for him. Happy Days :)
  16. Karen

Karen Earning my ears

Thats wonderful news and sounds the best option for all of you.
  17. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

What fantastic news :D I really am pleased for you :hug2:
  18. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Thanks Karen & Diane :)
  19. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

What a horrid stupid woman she seems to be! :( I am so pleased for you that someone with some sense came along and did the best for your entire family, and didn't advocate destroying your home.

Good luck with the renovations and I do hope they are completed on your schedule! :yes:
  20. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Thanks, Tink....will keep you posted :)