1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disappointed with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Universal/Islands of Adventure' started by Oreo, May 21, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Hi all new here,

I have posted in the intro's section but wanted to bring this subject up, I hope it's in the right place?

Back in September last year we took a trip to Walt Disney World and as part of the trip we decided to take in the new Harry Potter section at Island's of adventure.

Now I am not a massive fan of Islands of adventure and given the news that Disney have acquired Marvel and will take over the theme park rights in a few years time I expected that that area of the park would maybe start to look a little old until they decided to re-theme it.

However, I was really disapointed with the Wizarding world of Harry Potter.

I am not a huge fan of the Potter series however we both made the effort to read the books and watch the films to get a better understanding of the subject.

The main attraction was brilliant, I must say that. It was on par with the release of Spiderman ride. Big thumbs up.

But the rest of it just felt like a re-themed area of the park. The biggest thing for me was the huge stage building behind the castle which ruined the effect for me! Just painting a building black doesn't hide it!

Maybe I was looking for things given my love for Disney but I really did feel let down by the whole experience.

Every oportunity they had, contained Harry Potter adverts and they really built it up as being this amazing area.

This isn't a knock at Universal in anyway but I think JK Rowling picked the wrong company and feel Disney would have done her books justice.

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I completely agree with you, we went last year, we haven't been to Universal for years, but decided to try it again.

I felt that it was all too close and small, I know they were trying to keep in character with the books and films, but it was just too much trouble to try and get into the shops because they were so small.

I'm hoping the extension of Diagon Alley in Universal Studios will be better. It's supposed to be opening in 2014, so hopefully the crowds will have died down a bit by the time you go.

3. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

What she said. :wink:

However, I STILL maintain that nobody, nobody "does" theming better than Disney. Their attention to detail is just amazing.

4. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I've heard about this. It seems interesting however I fully expect it to be a rush job.

Universal for a while were creeping up on Disney for quality. They had Spiderman and I thought Jurrasic Park was pretty good and I thought Harry Potter would be their opportunity to really take it to Disney.

But it all seems so flat.

I wasn't impressed with the Simpson's attraction either, very little effort has gone into that one.

Maybe I'm just a bit miserable? :lol:

5. Wendy

I know what you mean, it's not just you :lol:

I was lucky enough to be at the Magic Kingdom the day they had the first full Dress Rehearsal in the New Fantasyland. I was overwhelmed with the attention to detail and how well things had been done and thought out.

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We've still not tried the wizarding world because we're not thrill ride people and so wouldnt do much at IOA and wouldnt do the main HP ride either most likely.

Take that out and what we have left is a very small area to walk around with large queues to get in most likely and for a costly ticket.

7. Wendy

We didn't do any rides, but it was nice to walk around somewhere different, there are some good lands in Islands of Adventure and it makes for nice photos.

8. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

We're not thrill seeking people, and we can just about manage Jurrasic Park etc but couldn't bring ourselves to do the Hulk.

If I am honest, unless there is some major new attractions at Universal and Islands of Adventure in the next year or two I don't think we shall be going back on our next trip.

9. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

We were really set on going to US/IOA but after showing DDs some videos of the attractions on youtube I am not convinced it is going to be worth it.
    Abi LOVES HP but after seeing a video of the main ride I do not think it is appropriate for her and I really do feel that she will be terrified.
    We allowed her to watch Jurassic Park last year (after her asking and asking and asking) and she was really scared of it, I showed her a video of the area in IOA and she practically burst into tears at just the gates and hid behind a pillow.
    I know DH is going to be set on going but at over £300 for us to visit I just dont think it is going to be money well spent :unsure:
    But then I do have a little argument with myself because they love men in black, despicable me, dr seuss, shrek and last time we were there one of the best times we spent was playing in the Curious george area.

Oh it is too hard to make decisions!!!

10. Wendy

It's difficult to make decisions with it being so much money.

If they are Harry Potter fans, then they will probably enjoy walking through the area with the houses and going into the wand shop and the other shop which sells some very strange sweets :lol: There are characters around to have photos taken with and I think the train is there for people to see.

There does seem to be so many other things that they like, it would seem a shame not to go :yes:

11. Tishypops

I was thinking of taking them through the line for the main harry potter ride (cant remember what it is called) because I think they would love to see inside the castle but just use the chicken exit when we get to the ride

12. Wendy

:yes: that sounds like a good idea, we are thinking about doing the same and it's just me and Chris, there are no children :lol: we are both chickens though when it comes to coasters :lol:

13. Tishypops

This one isn't really a coaster but the big spider comes right out at you so I just think it is too intense for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Wendy

Well that's me definitely not going on it, I hate spiders, even pretend ones :lol:

15. Tishypops

Lol me too, my brother used to put the big rubber ones in my bed when we are kids, I actually had a panic attack because of one of them as an adult

16. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

You can actually pay for a tour of the castle at certain times of the year.

We found out last year when we were there but sadly it was fully booked.

17. Tishypops

Wow I will have to look into this. Thanks xx

18. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

ITs called the islands of adventure VIP tour and it does include other areas of the park, but it does include a guided tour of the castle and also other places in the Wizarding World.

Having a quick look online it seems it's not available to book online and it's telephone bookings only.

It does include priority seating on up to eight rides but I am sure you could opt out of that if you explained your situation.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/VIP-Experience.aspx

19. Tishypops

I have just been reading about a 'tour only' line which is a walk through without the ride at the end. It is unclear if this is still operational though so I have just messages universal to ask them about it

20. Tishypops

Universal has just called me (I love that they always call you back the following day if you email a question to them) they have confirmed that you are able to do a self tour through the castle as long as the line is less than 45 mins long (he recommended leaving till the evening) just ask the member of staff at the start of the line :0)