1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disappointed with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Universal/Islands of Adventure' started by Oreo, May 21, 2013.

1. Tishypops

Tishypops Addicted to Mickey

That looks great, but tbh I don't think I could justify $1000 especially as the kids will not want to (or not be tall enough) for the big rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Thank you, that's good to know, we might see if we can do it.

3. Pixie-Ro

Pixie-Ro Earning my ears

I love the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and I am huge fan of both the books and the films. From what I've read Disney were quite keen on getting the rights but JK Rowling was not impressed with what they wanted to do, and to be honest I think she made totally the right decision to go with Universal/IOA. I don't think the books are 'children's' stories and as such would not have fitted in at Disney. The ride is quite scary for younger children, but as I said, so are the films and the books! I agree that the area itself is small and tight, but that's as it should be. I'm glad Universal made it true to the original story, except for the one thing that really annoys me - Ollivanders is not in Hogsmeade!! I honestly hope they move that attraction to Diagon Alley when that section opens!

4. Badlydrawnkel

Badlydrawnkel Addicted to Mickey

And the three broomsticks and hogs head!

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

IVe not yet been even though I loved the books.... we dont tend to do anything else at IOA so I'm a bit worried that it would be a lot of money for a very small area :/

6. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Have you been to the studios in Watford Keith? If not I highly recommend a weekend down there, it was a lot better than IOA, I reckon you'd be in your element

Kate likes this.
  7. Badlydrawnkel

The studio tour is amazing! !!! I need to go back! The gifts are a rip off though! I found most of it cheaper in Florida.

You must try and go!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Cheaper than the airfare to go and get them though! :lol:

9. Badlydrawnkel

Very true! Unless you are planning to go there! Like I held odd buying a t shirt and a few other bits and bobs because I knew I was going this year....over £100 for the robes...what!?! And the wands too! So expensive!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

10. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

We are going to 9 3/4 store in King cross next week will do a review of that and maybe few pictures

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Oh that would be brilliant Jeff :)

12. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I liked the WWoHP, but in all honesty i didnt really know much about the films before we visited - however going there made me watch the films and im a big fan now! I really wish id gotten round to watching them before we went. Hopefully if/when we get back there the new section will be fantastic!

The studio tour is really good, im not sure if i would say its better than Florida though because i think they are two very different things - i loved seeing all the things knowing that they were in the real films though! I really wanted to get a scarf and a harry potter wand for isabelle, but they were £25 each and i couldnt justify that :sigh:

13. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I had no idea there was a store there - I'd be really interested to see your pics.

14. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

It is well hidden. I saw it last time by accident! Going next week for a proper look.

15. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I haven't been in the store but when I was waiting for a train once I sat and watched everyone having their photos taken running at the wall

16. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

We are the opposite we loved The WWoHH but we love thrill rides and are huge Harry Potter fans, we didn't find the queues that bad but we stayed on site at the HRH and entered the park first thing, also my boys were teenagers and grew up reading the books, being picked in Olivanders was a definite high point for my son. We've always loved the duelling dragons ride too, we aren't planning to go back to Florida until the next phase is complete.

As for the new part of fantasyland, I wasn't overly impressed at all, don't get me wrong it was lovely but I thought the Beast's Castle would be more spectacular, it all looked a bit pale and girly. I think even young kids will lose interest in the new mermaid ride as although it is better it's still very similar to the Nemo ride at Epcot, dumbo has lost his old school charm and I miss Toontown especially Mickey and Minnie's houses, Although beautifully themed Bell's cottage and be our Guest restaurant had a conveyor belt feel to them and had far longer queues than anything at Universal. I'm hoping the new SevenDwarves train ride will be amazing but from what I've seen so far it's just looks like a reimagined Thunder Mountain. The splash area is lovely and will be great for little ones to cool down in, Oh! And I loved Gaston, he gave me a personal tour of his tavern haha!

When we return it will be lovely to see all the new additions to The Magic kingdom, but we're not as excited as we are about the new Harry Potter expansion.

Tony G likes this.