1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney busses again

Discussion in 'Special Needs' started by disneymom, Jul 26, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Id stopped worrying about the disney busses because they all have wheelchair adaptations or so disney have said? a friend has said that it can be quite embarrassing though because everyone is staring whilst you get on. Is this true????? I dont want to feel worried every time we go for the bus Id rather get a cab :(

2. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

NOOOO, that is just so not true. I've had to use an EVC because of my knee arthritis and never ever has anyone been anything but nice to me. The bus drivers are wonderful and will help you make sure you get the evc onto the lift the correct way. No one stares or makes comments ever, they're way too excited about being at Disney to think about anything else.

Honestly hun, I've had to do it twice now and I more than likely will have to do it again and I would not hesitate even for a second!!

3. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

All of the WDW buses have lifts or ramps for wheelchairs and ECVs. I had to use the wheelchair lifts last December when I injured both legs two days before we left for WDW! :eek: The kneeling buses were great, but I couldn't handle the stairs in the other buses.

The staff is very accommodating and will get you settled before boarding any other passengers. You may get the odd guest who makes a rude comment, but don't worry about it if you do. They simply have forgotten their manners in their excitement to get where they want to be!

The only thing I ran into was at park closing one night. They sent Mears coaches for the overflow. Very nice coaches--no wheelchair access and several steps. :eek: If that happens, find a CM (there's usually one in the vicinity) and let them know that you need a bus equipped with wheelchair access. The final bus of the night had six passenger: me and a family with two ECVs! :lol: That was the only incident I experienced, though.

4. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

And why would anyone stare and embarrass you?

They are trying to enjoy their holiday too!

And if they do, ask if you have lobsters crawlng out of your ears.

Either you have the chair and ENJOY your holiday or walk and enjoy the pain youll have...I vote for the chair!

5. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Oh this seriously is not a worry. We LOVE Disney for this, it is soooooo disabled friendly it is a joy to be there. Use the busses that's what they are equipped for and go and enjoy. When my DD was using a wheelchair one year we had one comment from a guy in the line because disabled are allowed on first before everyone else, there is a special line to stand in so the when the bus pulls up you are right infront of the bus ramp opening., anyway... he started saying "Oh come on" and immediately he was told to shut up by everyone else in the line lol... so he soon shut it. You will always get ignorant people but trust me, they are far and few. Who gives a damn what other people think.... YOU have every right to be there, same as they do.

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

During one holiday at Disney, when one in my party needed a WC for a broken leg (full leg cast) I only had one problem with the HC bus issue and that was with a driver!

The driver came to the back to load the chair, and when the person got out to make it easier, he said "I don't care what you do," and walked away. I was left to load the chair myself, and without the help of another passenger would not have been able to do that.

I was pretty surprised by that, but the driver went on to demonstrate further rudeness on that bus ride (to other passengers) so clearly was not a well trained driver.

Otherwise, it was a very successful trip. WDW in general, does provide for good HC access.

7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I hope you made sure his bosses got to hear :( That is disgraceful behaviour.

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We talked about it, but never did anything. :shrug: All the other drivers were very helpful! :yes: One bad apple, eh?

9. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Ah well at least you didn't let it ruin your holiday X

10. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Don't you worry about it for one second!!! :hug2:

If it was a problem then they wouldn't have the wheelchair adaptations at all :p015: Disney is great about it and if there is some bad apple who wants to make a comment then let them be angry. They are only wasting their own holiday time being nasty.

11. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Ok.. so yes, people do stare... but not in a bad way.. its simply because you will have to get into the bus first.... so what else is left for people to do but see who's getting on first?... and its also quite fun to see a bus reclining and/or a ramp or a lift....

I did get some rude comments once for getting loaded first (since its you and your party...) but then agian, its Disney's rules, I didnt make them up.. and although I did get on the bus first, I was the last one to get off, since you have to wait until eveyrone is outof the bus for the driver to come and unlock the straps and lower the ramp

12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

:point: hahahahahaha

wow... thats sooooooooooo undisney like....

13. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

As everyone has said you are boarded and seated first. DS is in a wheelchair and yes I have felt a little uncomfortable as the driver is lowering the bus and securing chair in position as it can take some time. I think that has been due to my own self consciousness rather than any ill feeling from people waiting to board. I have enjoyed many conversations with fellow passengers on the journeys and some have shown acts of kindness towards my DS that have deeply touched me.