1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Rumour Disney Channel Introduces First Lesbian Couple On Popular Kids' Show

Discussion in 'General News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

The Disney Channel introduced its first ever lesbian couple on the family series "Good Luck Charlie" on Sunday.

In the ground breaking episode, parents Amy and Bob Duncan set up a play date for their preschool-age daughter, Charlie, and one of her new friends who, it turns out, has two mothers.

A spokesperson for the network said the episode was “developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness.”

When Miley Cyrus got wind of the news, the former "Hannah Montana" Disney star tweeted: "I commend Disney for making this step into the light of this generation. They control…so much of what kids think! Life isn't bright sets & wardrobe & kids becoming superstars! This is INSPIRING."

But not everyone is happy about the show's new plot line.

Conservative group One Million Moms, which tried to get Ellen DeGeneres fired as JC Penney’s spokeswoman, urged parents to boycott the show because of the content.

The organization posted on its website, “Just because something may be legal or because some are choosing a lifestyle doesn’t make it morally correct. Disney should stick to entertaining instead of pushing an agenda. Disney decided to be politically correct versus providing family-friendly programming.”

“Families tuning in to watch a children’s network may encounter a premature discussion on sexual orientation that is completely uncalled for,” added the group.

Beccaberry likes this.
  2. Wendy

Well done Disney, about time to!

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Very well done Disney.

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

what are people scared of!! Well done Disney :)

Wendy likes this.
  5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I have no idea what people are scared of. But I will tell you that there is a very large and loud factor of evangelical Christians who are having a fit about anything involving tolerance and acceptance of gay rights. The Grammy's were on this week and there was a beautiful marriage ceremony for 33 couples (gay and straight) and a well known former child star spoke out to say that it was an assault on traditional families. These are things I cannot even comprehend as they are so hateful and ignorant.

I'm glad about this

6. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Good for Disney

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I saw this advertised. It's nice to finally see mainstream couples, eh? Nothing outrageous or unusual. If you know Herself and I you know we are no more interesting than any other aging gray haired women. :D :D

I've read somewhere too that Disney is supporting a vacation for LGBT families. I don't remember all the details, you'll forgive me… but it's another good, progressive move for Disney.

Acceptance really isn't all that difficult.

8. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I read about this the other day as well, I believe it's called Family Outfest.

You can read a bit about it here: http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/disney-to-partner-in-family-outfest-lgbt-event-1201079887/

You have grey hair, too???? OMG, me too!! We're just alike!!! ;)

9. Tink

Yes, Family Outfest. That's it.

Yep. Grayer than gray. :D Although I do prefer to call it silver. :D :D :lol: But it's gray. I would love it if it would all turn to white. I realllllly like white hair.

10. Wendy

Excuse me Miss Tink, you are both very interesting and I wouldn't change either of you for world :hug2:

Tink and Beccaberry like this.
  11. Tink

12. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

:eek: Skip slinking away to buy a bottle of Grecian Formula....I will match you hair for hair!!!!

Good for Disney...bout time.

13. CLLifeguard

CLLifeguard Banned

Sad... Walt Disney would have never approved of this

14. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Yes he would.
    He wanted a place for families to enjoy together.
    Where did he say the bit about only if they are opposite sex parents?

Tink, Beccaberry and keith like this.
  15. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

It's sad that in this day and age this makes the news. We should be accpeting of everyone regardless of their sexuality, religion, culture etc.

It's great that disney have done this but it shouldn't need to happen it should already have. Does that make sence?

Tink and Beccaberry like this.
  16. CLLifeguard

CLLifeguard Banned

I don't disagree that Walt Disney wanted everybody to enjoy his parks but image mattered more to him when it came to media. Just look at the original Mouseketeers, Walt Disney personally selected all of them because they had the "right" image. Walt Disney was never the type to be politically correct. If he was, wouldn't we have seen just as many minority kids as white kids on the original Mouseketeers? There are many more examples, but the point is that Disney is now only including a lesbian couple to be politically correct.

17. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

And because we live in 2014 not 1914

Tink, Wendy and keith like this.
  18. CLLifeguard

CLLifeguard Banned

Walt Disney was a Republican his whole life and personally selected the conservative icon Ronald Reagan to open up Main Street at Disneyland on opening day. That's one fact you'll never be able to get over... RIP Walt Disney

19. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Regardless of what his feelings may or may not have been back in the day I feel that he would have approved of this today. I believe that he wanted everybody to enjoy his parks. How he voted really doesn't indicate this as i'm sure there are homophobic people that vote for all political parties :)

Tink and Wendy like this.
  20. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Hurray for Disney although as Oreo says, what a weird world we live in where including very normal every day relationships is a huge deal.

As to Walt Disney's opinion, if he were around to express one. I've no idea. Sadly people everywhere have been and continue to be prejudiced about anything that differs from their own idea of "normal". It can be hard for great business men, leaders etc. to rise above their view of contemporary societal expectations and so a lot of very admirable people have held views which today, most would consider narrow minded.

The thing is, it matters not a jot what someone no longer with us would've thought if somehow projected into the future. What matters is that on this one issue at least, progress towards acceptance is being made. Long fought for, hard won and too late for millions of people who've suffered from discrimination over the years.

Perhaps the next generation of people will grow up without this particular prejudice in place and a better understanding of their and others' sexuality.

As for those folks who want to dwell in their own pit of bitterness and intolerance, that's fine too, I'll tolerate you all and to ensure that you all stay happy despite Disney's excellent decision, I've made sure all your TVs have a censorship function. It's probably called the on/off button on your set, consult the manual for details if required.. Reach out, push it and hallelujah, you're saved.

PS. I've made sure that it affects just your tv so that you can make the choice for yourself and leave everyone else to their own personal truth. I'm sure you'll understand.

Johnie, Tink, Beccaberry and 5 others like this.