1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney Cruise Line Navigator App Available for Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Guests sailing on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy with an iOS or Android device can now experience the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app during their sailing. This free app, available in the iTunes App Store SM or Google Play store. I will only work when utilized aboard the Disney Dream or Disney Fantasy.

Prior to their departure, Guests will be provided with instructions on how to download the app so they can experience the convenience of having the Personal Navigator — the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do from dinner menus, entertainment offerings and deck plans — in an electronic version right at their fingertips once on board.

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

And a comment... we had this during our Fantasy sailing in September. It's a free download available while you're in the terminal and is quite well done. Seems DCL has their own personal App Store. However, I was a bit afraid to use it around the ship. Why? Well, while we were in Port Canaveral, it wasn't a problem. The app could download to it's heart content using Disney's port Wifi. But once we left, I was reluctant to use it. You see, while at sea, you can get WiFi internet access from Disney. If you're willing to pay the King's Ransom that they charge for it.

So, if I used my iPhone to check the personal navigator (which downloads information from the ship via WiFi), I also ran the risk of having my email program get email notifications, or maybe Facebook would get push notifications, or any one of a number of other apps that I have that use network resources. And then I'd end up with at sea WiFi internet access charges from Disney to the tune of .75 cents per minute or portion thereof. So, I chose to not use the app and leave my iPhone off. Color me cheap but why should I spend money when the paper Personal Navigator is delivered to my stateroom each night and if I need another copy, Guest Services is usually right on the way to almost anywhere we were going.

If you could somehow choose to use the ship's Wifi only for this app (as you can with IOS 7 for cellular data), then it'd be kind of neat. But without some way to limit my other apps from using the available WiFi connection, I felt it was too much of a risk for too little reward.

Tom ( :macwave:... cheapskate... I know.)

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Stop press. Just looked at this again on Disney's site and it appears that they've changed some things that might make this fairly useful.

It now appears that their onboard WiFi network (DCL-GUEST) is exclusively for this app and is now complimentary. Perhaps I'm not the only one that complained there was no way to restrict my apps from using a network that Disney was charging for. If indeed they've limited this DCL-GUEST network to providing access for just this app and not general internet access, then it could be quite a useful little tool.

Tom ( :macwave:... times change. Don't blink or you'll miss it!)