1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney Cruise Line Relaxes Dress Code for Guests

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Disney Cruise Line has relaxed their dress code in their main dining rooms aboard all of DCL ships.

Guests were previously advised that they were not allowed to wear shorts, swimwear or tank tops, but this didn't seem to matter as the majority of Guests used this opportunity to dress up a little for dinner, with dresses or nice pants for women and slacks for men.

The new policy states that shorts, jeans, khakis and capris are now permitted, but Guests are still asked not to wear swimwear or tank tops.

Disney Cruise Line also features themed nights where Guests dress like pirates or in tropical attire, as well as a Formal Night.

A stricter dress code will still apply for Palo and Remy, the adults-only restaurants on the ships and Guests will not be allowed to wear shorts..

Do you think this is a good idea or a move in the wrong direction?
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Well I still haven't tried a cruise and every time I talk to people who haven't been, they cite being worried about "having to dress up" for meals as a reason not to go :/ so I can completely see where Disney are coming from.

However personally, my idea of a cruise IS dressing up a bit for dinner and I'd look forward to the formal evenings too! Why everything has to be dumbed down all the time I don't know :( the problem is, once they slide a little on the requirements, it isn't long before people push it further and further.
  3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I think they should have formal nights where you have to dress up but casual is fine on other nights. I don't think it should be swimwear though. I enjoyed dressing up on our mini cruise but wouldn't want to do it every night.
  4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Totally agree with those comments. :thumbsup:
    Surely it`s not too much to ask that folks make just a bit of effort at times. I can envisage folks turning up for dinner in the clothes they have been wearing all day on excursions etc. which is something that I would never do. In fact I would feel very self concious if I did it.
  5. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Absolutely. :thumbsdown:

It wasn't all that strict to begin with. Except for formal nights, I've always worn some nice slacks and a polo type shirt. Dressing for dinner is part of the charm of a cruise. If you want to wear shorts, capris, or swimwear, go eat in Goofy's Galley (on the Magic). Stay out of the main restaurants. You won't starve.

Tom :)macwave:... old fashioned? Who? Me?)
  6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Absolutely agree Tom! It may be old fashioned, I don't know, but that doesn't make it wrong ;-)

If anyone is unfortunate enough to meet me for dinner, be it on a cruise or on dry land, I promise I'll have showered and changed before I get there :lol: and I really don't think that's some terrible obligation, it's just, well, normal :/
  7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Personally I don't think that shorts or jeans belong in one of the dining rooms. Capri's are fine for the ladies as long as they don't look like shorts. And I'm a bit mystified by the term Khakis? There are many styles of men's khakis. I personally wear slacks and a polo shirt to dinner and, regardless of what we have been doing during the day we normally shower before dinner. I like the formal nights but they could set aside one dining room during the formal night that would be used for those who do not care to dress up.
  8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I thought that's the way cruises are to begin with. That if you didn't want to dress up then you ate at one of the buffets.

Personally, I wouldn't want to pack a ball gown and dress up in that to eat dinner. But I would be fully prepared up not eat the restaurant that did this.

We don't go to a lot of signature restaurants at WDW due to the fact that I have no desire to get dressed up and go back out in the heat and humidity to eat.
  9. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

In all honesty Johnie, on the DCL cruises there is only one "formal night" when the majority of folks do make the effort to "dress up" if only for having photos taken with the Captain etc. [I leave a tuxedo in our villa just for this! :lol:]
    On the longer cruises [7 days or more], they normally have a "Semi Formal" evening which to be honest is not a lot different than most evenings in that "smart casual" attire is fine.

There would be no need for you to pack a ball gown at all unless you want to make a splash on the formal evening, and I`ve yet to see anyone turned away from any of the restaurants by being "improperly" dressed.
    After all DCL do understand that their clients are on vacation after all.