1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney Cruise Line to Introduce Auto-application of Gratuities on all Disney Ships

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Disney Cruiseline is introducing the auto-application of gratuities on all Disney cruise ships.

This is after a successful pilot program which took place onboard the Disney Magic where it received a positive feedback from Guests.

The hope is that it will create a more seamless experience for Guests by automatically charging folios on embarkation day with the suggested gratuity amounts for the Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess.

Below are the effective dates:

[table="width: 300"]
    [tr]
    [td]Disney Dream[/td]
    [td]Date to be advised[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Disney Fantasy[/td]
    [td]21st April 2012[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Disney Magic[/td]
    [td]In operation already[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Disney Wonder[/td]
    [td]22nd April 2012[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Clients can add pre-paid gratuities at the time of booking or when processing final payment. If the pre-paid gratuities have not been added prior to boarding, your Clients will receive a letter upon check-in explaining the automatic charge to their onboard account. Your Clients still have the option to modify or add additional gratuity amounts, or pay in cash, by stopping by the Guest Services Desk onboard.

As a reminder, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to any bar, beverage, wine and deck-service receipt.

2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

That'll be convenient! As long as they give me the option to modify it, I'm good with this change. Saves me a trip to guest services.

Tom :)macwave:... more time for other stuff! :sail:)

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I assume that we will still get the tip envelopes delivered to the staterooms? :unsure:
    It`s nice to show your appreciation face to face with the crew members as you had over their gratuity slips.

4. catrancher

Good point Terry! I heartily agree. :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... it's better when it's personal...)

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Not that I've been on a cruise, yet, but argh :/. There's too much of this "tip included" nonesense around today. I'd much prefer to tip as I see fit. I hate it when everything's included but I've had poor service and I have to go through the hassle of negotiating down the tip.

I know tipping works slightly differently on cruises though so perhaps its a different thing

6. catrancher

Yes it does, Keith. Historically, you'd have little envelopes and tickets left in your stateroom somewhere in the latter portion of your cruise. Usually there would be four of them. One each for:

• Dining Room Server
    • Dining Room Assistant Server
    • Dining Room Head Server
    • Stateroom Host/Hostess

In the past, you'd take the tickets to Guest Services and charge your tips to your stateroom account. They'd then validate the tickets, you'd take them back to your stateroom, put them in the little envelopes, and then present them to the appropriate people on the last night of the cruise. The dining room staff at the last normal meal (night before you dock) and leave the one for your stateroom attendant in the room (or hand it to them when you see them in the hall). Other tipping is at your discretion with the exception of Palo or Remy (gratuity included). Also, all bar, beverage, wine, or deck service tabs include a 15% gratuity.

This new system just seems to be Disney automating this whole process by automatically assuming you'll tip the suggested amount and adding that to your stateroom bill. All it really does is eliminate the need for you to stop by Guest Services to do it if you're planning on the recommended amounts. If you want to tip more or less, you'd still need to go by Guest Services and have them update the amount.

The only thing I hope is that they still provide the envelopes. Like Terry said, it's nice to do this in person at the end of the cruise. These people usually earn the extra money! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... still confusing, huh?)