1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney cruises - how disney are they?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by chipndale, Jul 29, 2008.

1. chipndale

chipndale Imagineer

we're thinking of a cruise but dont want to be totally overwhelmed by disney everywhere. Characters at breakfast lunch and dinner. Is this what the disney cruises are like?

Can anyone recommend a good starter cruise?
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

That`s exactly what my DW and I were thinking before we took our first cruise.
    We are now shortly to embark on our 6th DCL Cruise which speaks volumes I reckon.
    Much as we like Disney, we didn`t want it ramming down our throats on the cruise and fortunately we weren`t disappointed.
    Yes, Disney is obviously in evidence but in actuality it is there if you want it, but on the other hand you can have a fantastic experience with all of the good things you have come to expect from Disney [excellent food, cleanliness, attentive CM`s etc. etc.] without becoming too immersed in the Disney atmosphere.
    You have to go out of your way to have character meals, and the characters themselves mainly appear in the atrium at set times.
    Occasionally you will see them around the kiddies pools and at the dockside to welcome you back from your shore excursions but speaking as a married couple without kids, we just love the cruises with a little bit of Disney thrown in.
    Why not take a 3 day cruise as a sampler and see for yourself?
  3. chipndale

chipndale Imagineer

Thanks Slowhand that sounds great. 6 cruises wow! which did you prefer?

Is 3 days enough to really get into it? how does all the immigration thing work?
  4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Of all the cruises my all time favourite was the 10 day Med Cruise which we did last year.
    Of the "normal" cruises, it`s a tie between the 7 day Western and the "Alternate" 7 day Western which makes 2 visits to Castaway cay which is Disney`s private island and is out of this world.
    We did a 3 day cruise with some friends a few years ago. In a way it seems as though as soon as you are getting into the swing of things then it`s time to disembark unfortunately.
    Having said that it`s the least expensive way of disovering if DCL is for you.

I am informed that the immigration procedures have changed since our last cruise.
    When you arrived back at Port Canaveral after the cruise, all "aliens" had to report to the Immigration Officers at some unearthly hour in the morning. I believe this has now changed but I`ve yet to check out the current procedure.
    Other than that, the entry into all of the ports of call on the cruise is a breeze. All you need is a photo ID and your "Key to the World" card whenever you disembark.
  5. BevW

BevW Imagineer

Rick and I went on our very first cruise back in 2005 and it was a Disney Western Caribbean 7 night cruise. We loved it and I can't get him to even consider any other cruise line now!
    He wants to go on a Med cruise if Disney ever does another one.
    Disney does spoil spoil spoil folks on these cruises. I totally recommend it.
  6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Not over the top Disney at all - you can find it if you want it (and believe me I searched it out :lol:) but it is a completely different experience to being at the parks, even Castaway Cay is much more subtle than the water parks for example.

Obviously the shows are Disney but even then they have a diferent feel about them compared to the shows at WDW :p015: