1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney Marathons

Discussion in 'Hobbies A - Z' started by gwennie81, Apr 8, 2010.

1. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Anyone done one of the marathons at WDW?

I'm thinking of doing the Disney Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon this October. I just run for fun right now but I'm thinking about getting into (sort of) competitive running.

When my parents and I went in Jan., the "real" marathon was going on and some of the people I talked to, it was their first marathon and they were total novice runners.

I'm pretty sure I can maintain a 10 minute mile pace (I think the minimum is 16 min./mi.)

Any thoughts? Think it's worth it? :tread:

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think you'd love the experience! I have a work related acquaintance who does the Disney Marathon (walks) and loves it for the "party" more than the walk! LOL.

We've talked about doing the half marathon (again walking) but felt the cost was a little steep. :shrug:

I do think we'll do it one day though, so we can have the experience at least once in our lives. :D

One thing the person who does it said is be sure to train on crowned roads, as Disney's road/run paths are crowned and it threw her off until she got her stride. She trained solely on flat ground...

Now listen here Miss Gwennie!!! If you do it, you MUST tell us ahead of time so we can cheer you on!!!!

Go for it woman! :D

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh, meant to say I think the pace (again for walking anyway) is a 15 minute mile, unless it has changed.

If you fall of the pace and lag, the officials will remove you from the marathon. That bit I thought a little odd...

4. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Oh, Tink! Any excuse to go to Epcot! "I, uh...have to go cheer on a friend! Yeah, that's it!" HAHA! (Just kidding you).

I think they take people off the course for their own safety, number one. I think it's pretty standard for any race officials anywhere. They don't want people to collapse or injure themselves.
    Number two, it's to make sure the race ends in a timely manner. Think about all the roads and areas that have to be blocked off. For anyone that did not come for the race, it's pretty annoying.

5. bento

bento Earning my ears

this is such a good idea :)

6. bento

bento Earning my ears

go for it! I'm sure it's gonna be fun! :D