1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney Mobile Magic Now on iPhone

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Wendy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Mobile Magic, the first official Disney Parks app, has hit the iPhone and it’s now ready for you to download for free from iTunes.

mobile-magic-1.jpg mobile-magic-attractions.jpg

And Disney Parks and Verizon have another exciting update to share today. If you’re a Verizon Wireless customer, you now have access to new premium features, including videos and games within the app.

Verizon Premium Features

• More than 100 behind-the-scenes, seasonal, sneak peak videos.
    • ‘Pirates’ games that test your knowledge of the famous attraction.
    • Guess the character before the timer expires with Disney Character Puzzle.
    • Find out which character is most like you with the Disney Character Quiz.

mobile-magic-characters.jpg

If you haven’t tried the app out yet, you should. It offers accurate wait times as well as official Disney FASTPASS return times and availability for the park you’re in. The same system that powers wait times and Disney FASTPASS in the park, powers this app. With the new iPhone version, the wait times are also integrated into the Park maps, making it easier for you to decide where to go next.

mobile-magic-dining.jpg

Also, there are GPS-enabled park maps to get you to your favorite characters, mobile games and more to explore, including the ability to make dining reservations.

Not an iPhone user? Disney Mobile Magic is also available on a wide variety of feature phones as well as Android phones.
  2. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

uuuuu

this sounds really interesting, will see if its available over here :)
  3. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Fab but not sure how it will effect the data usage for us Britons....

:unsure:
  4. Wendy

I would think it would cost a fair bit if you use your UK phone.

I always use a US sim when I'm over there Jeff, it's much more reasonable for texting and calling home and a lot of them come with data as well now.
  5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I've used a verizon or tmobile MIFI device the last few times. I top it up with $30 of data only access and it stays in my pocket. It makes a wifi hotspot which I connect to with iphone or whatever else and voila :)
  6. Deafjeff

oooohhhhh tell me more?

Does this include SMS or?
  7. Deafjeff

ooohh tell me more, do we need to pick one up when we are there or can we request a micro-sim to be delivered at home?

What are the price like etc?
  8. keith

Nope this one is purely data :) but with everyone using iMessage or what'sapp instead of text it works great and you can use it to Skype etc

It's great to be able to wander round the parks and actually post here at the time

Also the apps like waiting time and so on become really useful
  9. Deafjeff

I am interested... I got FaceTime and would love to 'phone' my parents etc :metal:

How and where do I buy one and will it work in the UK also?
  10. keith

yep facetime works great from it! in fact news years eve I facetime'd family back in the UK from EPCOT :)

I bought mine at Best buy, they also sell the pre-pay top up cards which as I say are $20, $30, $50.

They won't work in the UK though as far as I know although I must admit, I havent tried a tmobile UK sim in it. I doubt it'd work though
  11. Deafjeff

ah right.....

mmmhhhh could we buy them and get it sent over here as we don't have access to a car when we are over there......
  12. Wendy

How much data do you get for the $30 Keith :unsure:
  13. keith

trust you to ask the awkward questions :lol:

ok, it's very difficult to find out because the deals change all the time.

$30 will get you roughly 1GB and $50 gets you about 3GB

I only use it when I'm out and about as I normally have WIFI when I'm back at base. The first time I got the $50 card and I didn't even come close to using 1GB never mind 3 and that was with both iphones checking email all the time (push email) on multiple accounts, facebook, the forums, checking prices, checking locations. Literally doing everything I would want to do when out and about with a smartphone without worrying about it.

The next time I just got the $30 card and I didn't use it all.

I like it because I can keep the tiny mifi in my pocket or in DW's bag and it provides a wifi hotspot for her phone, my phone, ipad and whatever else without us having different phone numbers or sims or anything like that.

In terms of text, well all our Apple iphone friends use imessage automatically which is done over the mifi and those who dont tend to use whatsapp which again is over data.

In terms of phoning, well we tend to facetime or skype these days
  14. Wendy

Moi, asking awkward questions :lol:

The reason I asked was for Chris, he has never ever bothered with his phone when we are away, but because a certain someone suggested a new phone :taunt: it never leaves his side and he wants access whilst we are on holiday.

I always use Red Pocket as I tend use it in the US. If we call anyone from home, I can get very cheap calls using it at the house or when out and about. My only problem was texting people at home because it cost them to reply. Now I have whatsapp though, I will just use that for anyone in the UK.

I know it means I have a different number, but it is easier for me to keep in touch with people when I'm over there by text or calling if I used my uk number they wouldn't be able to reply or talk to me.

The deal with Red Pocket this year is $60 and this gives me:
    UNLIMITED Talk
    UNLIMITED Text
    UNLIMITED Picture & Video Messaging (MMS)
    2 GB Mobile Web!
    200 Minutes FREE International Long Distance

I'll have a look round at some of the other providers as this seems a bit steep to me :unsure: but this is normally the best and they use AT&T.
  15. keith

yep I think it really depends whether you just want data access or whether you want phone/text as well.

My use is perhaps a bit weird but I almost never call someone in the US whilst I'm over there, so unlimited US talk doesn't help, I wouldnt text from a US phone because as you say, it'd cost the UK people to reply.

Now the mobile web. Last time I had one, they tied it to a stupid little useless phone, however if it was on a sim I could use in my iphone then yeah that's a useful amount of data.

200mins international is good too. I'd never use them all :lol: but good to have for sure

For work I really have to keep my UK number live all the time I'm out there so if I were to swap a sim, I'd need another phone for my uk number or whatever :(
  16. Deafjeff

We are interested in getting mifi.......

Could we order one in advance or pick one from Orlando Airport?
  17. Wendy

I wonder if there is anyone going over before you, that would be able to get one for you :unsure:
  18. keith

probably the easiest way because tbh Im not sure there's a tmobile/bestbuy in the airport although of course, the florida mall/bestbuy isn't hugely out of the way FROM the airport to Disney
  19. Deafjeff

We will be using magical express so not sure if we are able to pop into the mall until our planned trip......

I guess it might be better to ask lovely people here if anyone is willing to pick one up for us :sorry:
  20. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

I'm liking the sound of mifi, but how large is the unit please? And how heavy is it? We tend to carry a bag between us to the parks, so wouldn't want to add much to what we already take, but the possibility of wifi for both iPhones sounds great.

Could you help me find the nearest place to WDW to get one from please? And are they easy to set up? I take it you would charge it overnight? If so, how long does it keep a charge for - would it last from morning opening to the end of MK EMH for instance? That's if I can last that long - who knows - I'm getting older!

I'd love some more info on this, as I really need data while away for work, and would love to be able to use this Disney Mobile Magic App too!

TIA

Jackie