1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney Mobile Magic Now on iPhone

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Wendy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Hiya

it's very tiny, smaller than a pack of cards and lighter than that too. So size/weight is no problem. I keep it in my pocket and forget it's there very easily.

I DO charge it overnight yes, and I reckon I get 4-6hrs of use from it depending how heavily I use it. Sometimes I'll go out in the morning, come back in the afternoon for a nap or whatever and i'll recharge it for the evening. That works fine for me :) (if you were sneaky I'm sure you'd find somewhere around the place to plug it in for a few mins ;-)

Closest place to disney I dont know tbh but I got mine from best buy. plenty of those around!

All I can say about it is it's as close to perfect for me as I've seen out there. Since it becomes a wifi hotspot, I can connect my phone to it, DW's phone, a laptop etc whatever I need. It's been excellent around Disney reception wise even though the one I have is Tmobile (apparently verizon may be even better but I've been happy enough).

It lets me use my normal iphone with its uk number to receive/send texts if I need to or phone calls in an emergency so no hassle with a us phone and a new number. Although pretty much nowadays I use whatsapp (or imessage) on the phone which uses data and therefore again works over the mifi :)

I've used it for three or four trips now and very pleased :)

2. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

Do you have any idea of how much they cost please?

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I saw some refurbished ones the best buy website for under $40, new I think around $100, have a look on their website, Walmart does an order and pick up service, we got new mobiles from there last year no hassle, not sure if they have mifi though

4. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

Thanks. I'm worried about ordering the wrong thing, or getting something that I have to sign up for a contract with by mistake! I'm really not too well versed in new tech I'm afraid.

I'm wondering if the sim card mentioned earlier by Wendy might be better for me. I've just contacted O2 to get my iPhone unlocked, so I should just be able to swap sims. Is that right?

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

yes you should, just need to make sure you've got data on the sim you choose.

6. keith

You won't be able to sign up for a contract :) even if you wanted to without a US address and bank details etc. The mifi device is something that you pick up off the shelf like a pay as you go phone

yep it's a perfectly valid way to go :yes: just a question of getting a sim that's ok to swap from the phone they sell it with (if they do) that has a good data capability

7. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I hear people buy the sims off eBay, which one would we need to work with a UK mobile?

8. keith

well then you hit a BIT of a minefield because your phone will need to speak the US frequencies which to be fair most now do.... assuming that and a carrier unlocked phone, just about any sim card should do from att/tmobile etc.

My problem with this was when i bought a pay as you go phone+sim, the phone was AWFUL, terrible web browser, only talked to certain yahoo sites etc and when I put the sim in my iphone, they deactivated it because it wasnt to be used in another device :/

I found sims that were ok to be used in your own phone but they had lousy data packages

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

ANd that's why we keep coming back to the mifi grr! Lol

10. keith

:lol:

for me, for data, yeah it's pretty ideal.

...but a sim card that we knew would work in an iphone say, with x hundred texts, 200 mins, 1GB data for $30 pay as you go would be just fine

11. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I wouldn't be able to use a UK mifi would I? I'm about to buy one here, change over to a US sim? Just a thought..

12. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

.... Does such a mythical beast exist??????

13. keith

Yep in theory as long as the uk mifi is unlocked and you can get a us sim only deal with top up data

14. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Mmmm thanks Keith, think I may get one off eBay that's unlocked for use in this country then get a US sim from eBay and get them to activate. They had some with a reasonable amount of data on pay as you go. Will let you know how I get on in December.

15. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Ooohhhh tell me more!

Which sim card etc?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qmza1x

16. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I always buy a sim only and use my own phone. Many moons ago I bought the phone with the sim and it drove me mad as it was a motorola and I was used to a nokia, so after that it had to be sim only :lol:

I use RedPocket and I have for the last 2 years and I haven't had any trouble at all with them. All I do is phone them up, re-activate my number, pay my money and my line is active and I do all this from home before we leave. I swap the sim on the plane so I'm all set when we get there to let someone know we have landed safely :D

In the past I've used T Mobile and had nothing but trouble as the munber hadn't been rested long enough and I was getting calls for someone else which was eating away at my credit. The other one I had was a Go phone and that cost me a fortune.

You need to do lots of research of you are going to go down the sim route, I always compare and see who will offer me the best deal. I like to be in touch with friends whilst I am over there.

I can call people at home and it costs me a matter of cents, the only problem I have is with texting but now Keith has told me who to use that won't be a problem :D

Another place to look is mrsimcard

17. Wendy

Make sure you check out who the sim is with and check their coverage as not all providers have good coverage in all areas.

18. keith

~Well the most expensive one on there $59.99 comes with a couple of GB of data so that would work out ok

I guess texts back to the uk would cost though and wouldnt be unlimited

19. Wendy

The package is different this year because it includes data, but texts to the UK last year were free, I used to feel bad though because anyone who replied to me was charged :( This year as I will have data, I can use that app you mentioned - I can't remember the name as I had to take it off the N95 and by then I should have the S2 as his nibbs will have the S3.

I think it will be the best of both worlds for us because I can make my calls in the US and also to the UK if we are out and text whoever using either standard text or the whatsamecallit :eek:l:

20. keith

Does it definitely say that international texts arent free this year?

Which one do you go for, the pay as you go, or the 30 day one and if the 30 day, do you have to cancel it to avoid them billing you again?

I guess if I wanted to try that route I'd have to get them to send a sim whilst I was over there the first time