1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney Mobile Magic Now on iPhone

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Wendy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

I've been looking into the Mifi a little more, and have found this
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57409313-10391733/get-a-datajack-mifi-hotspot-for-$49.99/

It sounds pretty good to me. What does anyone else think?

I did wonder an getting a Mifi over here, but worried about getting the right SIM for use in the US.
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

That looks pretty good to me! pretty much the same rates as i'm paying on the tmobile one but cheaper to buy in the first place!
  3. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

I thought it sounded quite good - much cheaper than the Virgin Mifi! I'm just 'live chat'ting with them now...
  4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

No it doesn't say they aren't, I'll email them and ask I think. Last year I paid for a one off 30 day term, at the end of the day they just suspended the service. I've never had to cancel or had any other money taken from my credit card.

I had the sim sent to me over here so that it was all active for when we landed.
  5. keith

well that's pretty brilliant if you ask me :lol: if text to UK was included in the international thing, that would be even more tempting
  6. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Earning my ears

Thanks for the heads up. I downloaded the app but won't have the extra stuff because I'm on AT&T. I love using my iPhone or iPad while at WDW. Really makes lines not an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  7. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

I notice we don't have access to the app in the UK. Has anyone tried to download it once they arrived in the US, or is it because I have a UK based iTunes account?
  8. Wendy

I actually know the answer to an itunes question :lol: :lol:

It's because you have a UK based itunes. A friend of ours has a US account and he uses that if he wants things in the US.
  9. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

Thanks for the ITunes answer - now I just need to try to set up a US iTunes account! Anyone?

Also, I found a company who sell the DataJack prepaid Mifi at a reasonable price, so that's on it's way to Saratoga Springs now. It will get there just before us! Thanks for the advice and help so far!
  10. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Earning my ears

Psst, Disney now has free WiFi in the resorts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  11. keith

hey there, how did the datajack work out??
  12. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

Datajack was perfect - wonderful to use, worked straight from the box. I managed to sort out a US iTunes account for the Mobile Magic app too!

Free wifi at SSR Paddock area was very fast and strong as well.

Thanks to all for the help!

Jackie
  13. keith

EXCELLENT good to know it worked so well :D
  14. Wendy

Glad it worked well for you :D

Keith, how are you getting on with the sim - would you use one again or stick to your mifi :unsure:
  15. keith

interesting question. I'm still not 100% sure to be honest!

My major requirement these days is data. I tend to make no calls either US or back to UK at all and if I WAS making a call to the UK I'd tend to use VOIP for that so again, data or wifi needed.

so unlimited US calls? not that useful to me.

In UK I'll text a lot and receive quite a few too! Now that's changed a little too because of
    1. apple imessage
    2. whatsapp

All the apple devices now have a combined text/message app so if you try and text someone who is also on an apple device, chances are it'll just imessage them instead! using data and not text. I'd go so far as to say that accounts for over 80% of my texting now! so again, data.

whatsapp brings across phone messaging to all the usual devices so with more and more people using that, that saves texts too.

Finally, my theory was that unlimited international texting would be good for the remaining people. it's not really. Since it's a US number, the UK people have to take the burden of paying more so quite understandably, text less. (you find out who your real friends are when you need a text/call to a US number :lol: )

So.... unlimited texts hasn't really been the huge advantage that I expected either.

Unlimited data.... ok, so when this works, it's great. Great to just have the sim in the phone, nothing else and data working just like at home. Problem with the sim I got is that on the iphone, it only gives edge not 3g or 4g which is quite slow. It's liveable with but not optimal. The iphone doesnt have the right bands for this on the simple mobile (tmobile) network.

This brings me to the tmobile network. Ironically, my mifi device works on tmobile and had always been great but that had 4g capability. Strangely, without 3g/4g to use, tmobile hasnt been great. Again not AWFUL just not as great as I'd like. Next to no signal at the villa, or until hitting the main road. At universal citywalk restaurant, no signal then fine in the room next door. By no signal I mean zip, no service... not even talk/text. That's not good at all. At the same time my UK phone was roaming on at&t and that consistently had service.

The US number is confusing people. I tried to tell everyone but people are still texting the uk number so this ended up meaning that I carry both around with me. So the idea that the SIM would prevent me having to carry an additional mifi device hasn't really worked out.

One definite advantage to the sim, battery life is fine. The iphone easily lasts all day without a charge whereas the mifi would last about 4hrs and need a charge. This has never been an issue as we tend to go out, come back and recharge ourselves :lol: plus the phone, but still, advantage SIM.

So hmmmmm!

What would I get next time :/ well one things for certain, I wouldnt use mrsimcard... who resells a $40 simple mobile plan for $89.99. I probably wouldn't get simple mobile for the reasons above.

That leaves verizon who I don't seem to see doing this kind of thing really :/

AT&T and Sprint.

I dont really know anything about how good sprint is in Orlando. AT&T Seems promising although I don't know if it does 4G or just 3G in Orlando and again how good it is on the iphone.

The sim you mentioned Wendy the redpocket one may well have been the better option coverage wise and possibly data speed wise.

What I DO like about the mifi is, it lets me keep my UK phone sim in there and so anyone texting/phoning me still works and yet I have full data access too.

However, the battery life aspect is important and I do like not having to wonder how much longer I'll get out of the mifi battery.

As I've typed all this out (phew LOL) I find myself thinking that a sim card with better coverage both for speech/text as well as faster data (3g/4g minimum) may well make the best overall compromise. I could redirect my uk cell to the US number to catch any emergency calls and that would only leaves texts which as I've said, are less important nowadays.

So! I'd like the try the redpocket sim next perhaps.... or at least some kind of att/sprint one

I kinda feel verizon may be the best round here but I just dont see any pay as you go verizon sims
  16. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Just a quick review of this app, as I used it for the first time yesterday. I thought it was pretty cool...I did some accuracy checks on waiting times and they were spot on each time! I also liked the ease of checking dining reservations...that was very handy! It recognized immediately when I entered the MK and I could definitely see it being particularly useful for families traveling for the first time...
  17. Wendy

Thanks for the review Becca, it's good to hear from someone who has actually used it :yes:
  18. keith

yeah I meant to say, although I didnt seem to be able to see it in the UK, once I was in the states using verizon I was able to download it fine (despite not having a US apple store login which is how I THOUGHT it worked :/ )

I've just checked it again now and its still working even though Im back in the UK although a lot of functions require you to actually be in a park.

It's quite nice though and good to know UK people CAN get it
  19. keith

just to update on sim cards and mifis :)

mrsimcard: very expensive way of buying sims ALTHOUGH he sent when he said and delivered what he said.

simple mobile sim: used tmobile but uk phones dont tend to have the right frequencies to get 3g so iphone was very slow on it AND because of lack of 3g, often lost service even for calls/texts. The best deal but not the best performer.

redpocket sim: uses at&t. Better service than simple mobile, right frequencies for uk. I still found that data was very off/on

tmobile mifi: Good data service, decent speed. Easy to top up

verizon mifi: verizon are new to this prepay mifi deal but now they do it it works great! verizon seems the most reliable network around orlando/disney and the mifi gives full 4gLTE which is amazingly fast. Faster than my uk home broadband in fact. Very impressive indeed. Topping up is more difficult, verizon dont like UK credit cards, so you can either use a prepaid visa card or buy top up cards from bestbuy.

If you plan to call/text US numbers as well as use some data, I'd get the redpocket sim. It's the best all rounder.

If you're not going to make inside US calls/texts but you need data, I'd get the verizon mifi.

For most people these days, data will give you most of what you need. iphone imessage will work, whatsapp, web browsing, forums, facebook etc.

IMG_0228.JPG
  20. keith

Soon as I had the verizon mifi, I was able to download disney mobile magic!

Its surprisingly good! It'll give wait times, character meeting spots for the day, allow you to make dining reservations and much more. It shows loads of information about resorts too, not just the parks.

It works back in the UK too although some things only show up when youre inside the parks...

IMG_0011.jpg IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0017.jpg IMG_0018.jpg