1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney or Villa?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by josh.p., Jul 3, 2008.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Which do you prefer to use? a disney on-site property or a villa?
    Last time we went a villa worked out much cheaper, we did a villa and rented a car too.

What do you guys think is better? Probably a moderate/value resort vs a nice villa!

2. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i cant really answer that josh as ive only stayed in a villa.....i just love the space, own pool the peace and quiet when you want it and the home from home feel i get from it, that i dont think i could get from a hotel.....saying that id like to stay on property, but no a hotel sa like in i drive that doesnt appeal to me in the slightest at the moment

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tough one Josh. If staying in a villa meant I was more comfortable, and could stay longer, a villa it would be. At your age, I'm betting you'd prefer your own room and not sharing with your parents? (Guessing that is what you might do if you stay on property).

On the other hand, staying on WDW property is quite fun! You could maybe try a couple of nights at the beginning or end of your stay? That way you'd have the villa, but could try out a WDW resort too.

As a DVC member I have the best of both worlds. It's like a villa (we always stay in a 1 bedroom or larger if we have more people with us) in that we have a full kitchen, laundry, jacuzzi, etc., but we are still on property. Can't beat that!

Mostly, let the budget do the talking for you.

4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

I personally wouldn't go back to a villa after staying onsite - I just love being right there in the middle of the magic. That said I do agree with Tink and we may find that more difficult as my kids get older, but hey DS will just have to set a camp bed up on the balcony :lol:

I don't stay in the onsite hotels for the rooms more for what the whole resort has to offer, we literally only sleep and shower in the room but if you like to spend time chilling in your room or prepearing meals etc then you may find all being in one room tough. :)

5. Catherine

Catherine Earning my ears

Its a villa for us but we have never stayed onsite. I think it depends on what you want from your holiday. The resort hotels are obviously very focussed on Disney and for me it would get a little on my wick. I do love the Disney hotels though, they are stunning.

6. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

I guess it depends on what type of holiday you want.

We've stayed in a villa once, I-Drive once and Disney once. They all have there plus's and helped make each trip different.

We stayed onsite at Pop Century last trip and enjoyed it, we missed out home comforts though such as watching the tv on a sofa rather than a bed!

I guess what i'm saying is, shake it up and bit and stay somewhere you haven't before!

In September we're repeating the villa experience but next time we plan on a suite on I-Drive

:)

Jodie

7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Well onsite is cool - you're in the middle of Disney and you get free parking and bus transport and room delivery and stuff. But when you're there for 2 weeks you run the risk of getting all Moused out.

We going the villa route for the first time next trip. I like the idea of putting Steven to bed in his own room and then the grown ups can stay up late and not worry about the tv volume. Also having our own laundry facilities and a kitchen will be very useful.

8. disneydiva

disneydiva Earning my ears

We love both! theyre different kinds of holidays

the villa is great because we go party at the parks and when we come back its total relaxation with the pool and our own space. We do a lot more around orlando when we're at a villa

On Disney property we just feel totally in the magic which is great but sometimes tiring. We love it but its go go go all the time, parks every spare minute and different parks too. We'll go back to the hotel, have a nap then a different park in the evening which we dont tend to do when at a villa

both are great though!

Im loving this site so much never seen so much great information in one place

9. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Ok little biased as a villa owner but we went early 2000's and satyed in a villa then went back to catch up on what we missed first time but stayed in a hotel. Personnaly speaking we found the hotel a bit noisy and so many children screaming and shouting round the pool it did not realy ofer us the "chill out" feeling, so our next trip was t in a villa again and whist there we hunted for our own villa. We wernt worried about our villa location as long as we were reasonably situated to either do parks or coastal visit so now we may do a park or two and spend some time on the coast as we like Sarasotta so its only 90 mins drive and beaches are great...so's the food down there too!! Plus you got some malls on the way back up to pop into for the esential shopping.
    I think it was being able to go back somewhere and find it nice and quiet and this was why we chose to buy a villa rather than stay in a hotel again..

10. Magical Moments.

Magical Moments. Earning my ears

Villa all the way for us too.

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Chelmsford! I was just in Chelmsford! Massachusetts that is! :D

12. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Although i liked staying on site i must say a villa. Its great to have all the space and not be cramped up in one room.

13. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

It's for all these reasons that DH sold the idea of a villa for me. After years of begging to stay on-site I finally gave in and we're doing the villa thing in 2010.

14. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

We stayed in a villa first time and it was brilliant cos it was like having a house, but my mum didn't feel safe being so 'out of it' (she's a worry wart!)

I think she likes the idea of a hotel, but as you say, I liked having my own room and the privacy a villa offers!

15. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I'm more a fan of on site, but both options have their advantages!

If you're booking a la carte, you could do the split stay--part of the time on site and part of it at a villa. The best of both worlds! :)