1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney PR: Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by keith, Jul 2, 2008.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Press Release: Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney

Plans Include New and Enhanced Shopping, Dining and Other Experiences

(June 27, 2008) Walt Disney World Resort today unveiled a new vision for Downtown Disney, with extraordinary new shopping, dining and other experiences including a completely re-imagined Pleasure Island. Also planned are numerous enhancements to popular Downtown Disney locations, as well as additional theming and storytelling brought to life by Walt Disney Imagineers.

“We are committed to offering guests new and exciting experiences they can only have at Walt Disney World Resort,” said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry. “Our bold new vision for Downtown Disney reflects the feedback we receive from our guests each and every day and will enable us to continue to offer the high-quality entertainment that is our hallmark.”

Over the next year, the 120-acre entertainment-shopping-dining complex will add a number of one-of-a-kind, immersive experiences for guests. Downtown Disney will even get its own iconic attraction, in the form of a giant, tethered balloon that will take guests 300 feet into the air to view the amazing vistas of Walt Disney World Resort. Other new experiences include:

· In fall 2008, guests will enter a world of prehistoric creatures at T-Rex: A Prehistoric Family Adventure. The dinosaur-themed family eatery will serve up pizzas, pastas, seafood and more, and will feature life-size animated dinosaurs that dwell among bubbling geysers, waterfalls and a fossil dig site.

· Also this fall, a design-your-own t-shirt store from Hanes will add to the growing collection of merchandise guests can personalize at Downtown Disney.

· E-brands Restaurants, an Orlando-based, multi-concept restaurant group, will premier its newest concept at Downtown Disney in spring 2009. The high-energy, casual eatery will feature authentic Central and South American cuisine, specialty drinks and live music along the waterfront.

Guests also will enjoy a brand new mix of shopping and dining experiences at Pleasure Island as it is transformed over the next two years.

“Our guests tell us they want additional shopping and dining experiences at Downtown Disney,” added Lansberry. “We are currently considering a number of unique concepts from around the globe as we re-imagine Pleasure Island and look forward to sharing our progress over the coming months.”

To make way for the new offerings, all of the clubs currently on Pleasure Island will close on Sept. 27. Other locations on Pleasure Island, including Raglan Road, Fuego by Sosa Cigars, Curl by Sammy Duval, Orlando Harley-Davidson and outdoor food and beverage locations, will remain open during the transition.

To complement these new experiences, many popular Downtown Disney locations will undergo enhancements.

· Beginning this summer, Portobello Yacht Club will be transformed into a Tuscan Country Trattoria. The refreshed menu features authentic Italian dishes and signature favorites and a re-designed interior along with an outdoor dining space.

· This fall, Goofy’s Candy Company will add a special new room that will enable families to host one-of-a-kind birthday parties at Downtown Disney.

· The Marketplace Stage will be completely replaced with a larger, covered stage this fall to welcome even more entertainment to Downtown Disney and serve as a new premier venue for Disney Magic Music Days.

· Fulton’s Crab House will update its interior fixtures and furnishing and exterior in Spring 2009. The enhancements include a refreshed third floor deck dining area to offer additional Disney guests and larger private parties the traditional Fulton’s experience.

· Next year, Wolfgang Puck Café will update its interior fixtures and furnishings and will feature an enclosed glass patio offering guests a year-round outdoor dining experience.

These efforts come on the heels of recent enhancements at World of Disney, Wolfgang Puck Express, Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop, Earl of Sandwich and Cap’n Jack’s Restaurant.

2. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

Some of that sounds really exciting! I'm not always a fan of change but nothing seems too bad!

3. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

Sounds more drastic than I think it's going to be. The clubs seem to differ in popularity and i'm sure a couple of them will be missed but in reality I doubt anyone going to Downtown Disney in say, three years would notice any major changes. The only people who will notice anything different are those there during the construction

The hot air balloon sounds like fun though! I think they have one at DLRP in the village area

:)

Jodie

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

OK I think I'm ok with this apart from losing the Adventurers Club.

That T-Rex restaurant though sounds a bit like a prehistoric Rainforest Cafe. But hopefully it will have better service. :lol:

5. keith

yep, I think it's sounding much more reasonable than I initially thought too!

6. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

This would be such an awesome way to celebrate a kids birthday :smiley4:

7. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Hope they decide to bring back the AC in some form. They really need a venue besides shopping for adults. Perhaps a higher cover charge, food and beverage service beyond the bar, etc. Hmmmm...I'm getting some ideas! *LOL*

As much as I love Cirque de Soleil, I see enough of them and similar shows in Las Vegas!

If they're going to bring in more shopping "opportunities," I hope they do something unique. Most of the merchandise is very repetitive throughout the parks and DTD. Although not unique, have a feeling Build-a-Bear will show up eventually--it's been at DTD at DL/CA for some time.

Should be interesting!

8. keith

Totally agree there

9. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Kids have already said they want to do the hot air balloon next year as it was shut when we went to DLRP.

More money!!!