1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney #TBT

Discussion in 'General' started by DisneyFreak, Aug 28, 2014.

1. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Who can guess what I'm doing? (photo circa 1993)

0814140837.jpg

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Hoop Dee Doo

DisneyFreak likes this.
  3. DisneyFreak

Yep. One of my three appearances as the Indian Brave.

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

That's some kinda' wild shirt you have on there, DF! :eek:

5. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I thought it was an audition for the Karate Kid movie :D

sarah and Watchinherskip like this.
  6. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Too funny! I wonder if they still do that bit? I mean with all the controversy with the renaming of the Washington Redskins and all. The NCAA made the change a while ago to remove the stigmatization of team names and the like. Imean my undergrad school had the Warriors as a mascot (it was right in the heart of the then Lenape nation) as an Indian brave. Well we are still the Warriors but now we have a bear in a gladiator suit as the warrior...go figure.

My daughter is kind of sensitive to the depiction of Indians and always goes with "its their heritage not some sore of show" saying. I am paraphrasing, but I see that quite a bit would be rather disparaging.

7. DisneyFreak

IIRC, the last time we did the Hoop Dee Doo, the Indian Brave part was toned done a bit. When I had done it the first thing I was supposed to do was rush onto the front of the stage and scare people (as I was trying to do in the photo). I don't think this part is done anymore. Also, they used to have the Ranger (played by a kid) hit the Indian Brave with a stuffed club around the feet and knees. They no longer do this either.

My high school and junior high were and still are the Warriors. It has a respectable depiction of an Indian Warrior (like most schools) and not cartoonish like the Cleveland Indians or a derogatory slang name like the Redskins. As long as it is done tastefully and respectively I think it is okay. Most tribes don't seem to have issue either when done this way.

8. Tink

My High School is in an area of NY where Indian tribes were very much present, and widespread. We were the Indians. The original name for the area was Sadaquaddagh. I have learned that Indians prefer, for the most part to be called by their tribal names (their tribal names, not those created by people who could not speak their language) or in general, as Indians and not native Americans. So, I'm not sure about my HS calling themselves Indians, but so far no real issues have arisen from it. I think the majority of the issue is showing respect and honoring those societies that we so poorly understood.

9. Tink

Meant to give an example of what I meant by the names. The Iriquois are a well known nation in the Central NY area (and parts north and a bit south). That name was given to them by those who could not pronounce the Native words. The original name that they used to identify their nation was Kanonsionni (People of the Longhouse, they lived in longhouses, not wigwams or teepees as depicted by Hollywooed). The modern name for this nation is Haudenosaunee (Six Nations). The Akwasasnee is one of the reservations. There are tribes within the nation, Mohawks, Cayugas, Senecas, Onondagas, and Oneidas were the original five and with the Tuscarora there were six. Within these names are the names that are used by the individual tribes. Mohawks are Kahniakehake within the tribe and to the tribes.

Anyway, sorry for the nattering on. A bit of a passion of mine. :)

Watchinherskip likes this.