Disney to Bail Out Disneyland Paris

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort Paris News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The Walt Disney Company, at a crisis meeting today, unveiled a 1 billion euro bailout plan for Disneyland Paris. The plan includes a cash infusion of €420 million (US$526 million) by US parent company Disney and a conversion of €600 million of debt owed to Disney into equity.

The news of the bailout sent Euro Disney shares plummeting on the Paris stock market.

In a statement a spokesperson from Walt Disney said, “This recapitalization plan would improve Euro Disney Group’s financial position and enable it to continue investing in the guest experience. With this effort, we are demonstrating The Walt Disney Company’s continued confidence in Disneyland Paris, which remains the number one tourist destination in Europe."

Euro Disney’s second largest shareholder, Saudi prince Al-Waleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz al Saud, who owns 10% has said he approves the cash injection, the prince has not yet decided whether he will subscribe to the increase in capital.

If the other Euro Disney shareholders decide not to back the emergency bailout terms, Walt Disney is committed to taking back control of the whole company.

2. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    Not sure I want to pay inflated WDW prices so they can bail out DLP to be honest :/

If they're going to make it work, they need to go in there, retrain or rehire a significant amount of CMs and get it back on track. "JUST" more money isn't going to work IMHO

3. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I think prices would go up regardless of a bail out.

I think it's deeper than that Keith. In my opinion customer service is a cultural thing, I don't think you can just 'teach' it. I don't think France has that in it's culture and I mean that in the nicest of ways.

They got it wrong for many reasons when they decided to build it in France, and no amount of money will change that.

If they had any guts they'd knock it down and start again somewhere else.

4. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    oh for sure they will but the bail out money will come from somewhere and that somewhere is doubtless going to be the more profitable parts of the business. One way or another, we're gonna be paying for it

yeah that's really my point, just throwing money at it will keep it from going bankrupt for a while but won't actually fix the problem.

5. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    I have to agree that the service isn't always good.i have met more rude CM over there than WDW

6. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    for me there is only one Disney Park W D W

7. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    Look for more Frozen Premium Packages at WDW (I think I'm only kidding).