1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney to crack down on refillable mug abuse

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by dvcjane, Jun 12, 2010.

1. dvcjane

dvcjane Imagineer

If its true this has got to be a good idea to stop all the people who think they can just use the same mug for life

Disney have applied for a patent 'Self-Service Beverage and Snack Dispensing Using Identity-Based Access Control’ system. This system will close the loophole of re-using mugs from previous visits as you will probably need to use your room key card and finger scan as you do with park ticket to get re-fills. Snack vending machines using DDP snack credits are also planned.
  2. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Am I the only person who buys them each year and never bothers to bring them home? . I usually rinse them and leave them on a table by the pool on the last day in case somebody else can get some use out of them - kind of recycling :)
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I was cleaning out a cupboard in our garage recently and waaaaay toward the back are some very battered original refillable mugs. The ones that were sold with the "use for life" promise.

We don't use them, clearly nor do we buy them anymore. I have one from Vero Beach, and do use it as a travel mug, but don't refill it at WDW as I don't drink the options available for the mugs. :shrug:

So, if they need to control this, fine. Whatever they want to do they will do, but given that it's fountain drinks (and I think coffee, yes?) I don't really see how installing expensive equipment will offset the "loss" of what is nearly a cost free service. :shrug:
  4. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

We have about 2 dozen of them at home and to tell the truth I never thought about bringing back to WDW. I kind of like Debbies Idea about leaving them behind on our last day.
  5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Yeah every time I see a thread like this I think about the use-for-life and I kinda bubble up with indignation and want to take the thing back and dare someone to challenge me.

I once left mugs by the pool and saw them cleared away by staff. I'd only just left them so enquired what was going on and the CM, rather bluntly, said they were for the purchaser only and you werent allowed to pass them on.

I've heard that Disney get all the coke products syrups free anyway so the cost as Tink says is next to nothing. They need to chill about this stuff they really do
  6. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Re: Disney to crack down on refill able mug abuse

We've only ever got a mug once for coffee and hot chocolate, the thought of all that soda is just too much! People do take the Mickey though, as soon as it's all you care to eat etc it's like a mission to gorge!
  7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Re: Disney to crack down on refill able mug abuse

sure but yah know, if the ingredients are effectively free, I'm not sure I care if they want to drink until they hit the roof :lol:

I like them for cups of tea in the morning and evening but it depends how close the food court is as to whether I can be bothered :lol:
  8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Well I never went to fill it up so I don't know of what you talk :tongue: I'm scary in the morning before my coffee, ask Lisa!,!
  9. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

We leave the refillable big cups with the day code scan thingy on them in our cupboards so other guests can use them ( I'm not sure if they do but the option is there)

I have the with most days on them

Sandra
  10. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

scarier! :taunt:
  11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I find it hard to beleive that Disney would do this. They turn a blind eye now. You would not beleive the things I have seen people filling up at the food courts!
  12. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I still have our mugs from the very first time we stayed on prperty that has that good for life thingy . I never took them back as really... as Keith stated , its a pain . My feet are so sore from running the parks that I'm too tired to run back & forth just to fill up .
    Although I am on the QSDP in August/September and will be receiving one . I thought I might as well take it back in October when I go for morning coffeee , but I guess that thought just flew by .
    Now my only concern would be this , I like to fill my water bottle up at the soda fountain as there is a water dispenser , I would be really upset if they sanction that .
    Vending machines for snacks on the dining plan ? They are going to spend more money out on vending machines for all the snacks that are avaiulable . This is so silly .
  13. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I love buying the mugs. I use mine at home all the time! I like to buy a new one each time...but now that I have given up soda and I don't drink coffee I wont be using them much at WDW.
  14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Darn it, unpacks my 52 ounce Bubba keg :(
  15. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

We buy them all the time,for coffee, tea, hot chocolate and now that they have unsweetened ice tea too!
  16. Tink

HA! Beatcha'! I have a 92 ounce bubba keg! :laugh:
  17. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

well if they sell the barcodes to put on the mugs what do they expect, and why moan if they get the stuff for free, dont they earn enough out of people :unsure:

we just have one from BB on our 1st trip but buy one every trip, havent a clue what happens to them
  18. Tink

I don't know how true it is, but there's been a long circulating rumor that Disney gets the fountain products free from Coca Cola in exchange for the advertizing.
  19. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`ve heard this from a reliable source too Tink. :wink:
  20. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Even if they don't receive the fountain soda for free, it's widely known that the syrup is incredibly cheap. Fountain soda is almost pure profit.