1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney Vacation Club??

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by ukwdwnut, Oct 19, 2011.

1. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

please can someone explain how this works and minimum points you need and how much?

reason being we are thinking of selling the house, not down scaling so we keep the cash, hopefully then it will be back to £260k +/$412k + or what lauren suggested, give her the inheritance we talked about giving her as she didnt want anything just us to enjoy our hard earned cash and she buy a 2 bed flat and we rent it from her, which id rather do as i dont know what kind of time scale im going to be here, so it makes sense to me to enjoy the money and not scrimp and scrape for a change

then we could go to wdw every year and just pay for flights and spends :D

2. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Im no expert... but from what I remember when we took the DVC tour in ´09

the "basic" entrance level was 10,000usd for Kidani, that was 100 or 120 points per year...

so, an estimate would be, if we were to go every couplle of years (you can add your points up to 2 years, before having to sell them or losing them) anyway, going every couple of years during the low season, those points were enough for a stay at a savannah view room in Kidani for 7 nights.

The annual fees were about $500 which you pay whether you make it there or not.

3. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

When we bought (4 years ago) it was $104 per point and a minimum of 160 points for AKV. Annual dues are around $5/6 per point payable in January. That's buying direct - you could look into resale but I don't understand fully how that works.
    Don't have any idea of current costs but that should give you some idea :)

4. ukwdwnut

i looked into it more from a real good impartial view and its not really what im looking for. i really thought you save money by buying into DVC but it doesnt seem to be the case.

thx anyway ladies :)

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

DVC saves you money over the long run. The point prices have changed a lot but when we bought in we knew we'd break even at the 8 year mark... dependent upon many factors.

If you want to have a $5000 or more per year vacation to WDW, then buying into DVC makes great sense. If you don't, then DVC isn't for you.

You can purchase directly through Disney, or through resale. There are some different factors between the two, but you can get some sweet deals resale right now.

6. lisaw

We didn't buy to save money we bought to be able to stay in resorts we would never have been ably to pay oop for - with the price of flights now we pay the same for a fly drive that we paid for a complete Disney value/moderate package through virgin a few years ago. So for us basically our holiday costs the same but with a nicer resort to stay in. Also when we bought we were lucky enough to get $2/£1 which made our decision a lot easier!

7. ukwdwnut

for future trips, in the main it would be just me and denise. so flights would work out at roughly £1500/$2400. villa for two weeks £1000/$1600. car hire £700/$1100. total £2500/$5100. $4000 without the car to your calculations. so i guess by what your saying tink it wouldnt be for me. but id be staying onsite, in a deluxe, right in the heart of the magic. but id also need a car as we wouldnt be at the parks the whole time so i guess no its not for me

that makes perfect sense lisa. do you spend all your days at the parks?

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i am seriously thinking of resale at the moment, we're thinking of going at the beginning of december next year not october, have convinced Jon that as long as his circumstances allows he'll come :tongue:

i can pay £2200 for 2 weeks in OKW or SSR but i would like to stay 1 week in BLT MK view and 1 week in AKL savannah view. this comes to 243 points. I am looking at getting 110 points for around £5500. The plan is to bank 110, use 110 and borrow 23 points from the 3rd year. Fees will be around £370 per year. If i pay out the £2200 to just stay there it will be just wasted money and i won't be staying where i want to.

I could pay from savings but i just got an offer today for an 18 month interest free balance transfer...... now to convince Jon!!

9. lisaw

Park wise we only do Disney Mick but we don't do parks every day, and we do hire a car - I couldn't be without one! that said staying at the boardwalk last time we didn't use it as much as usual.