1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Disney Weddings

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Oreo, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Well, you knew sooner or later this thread would be coming! ;)

The parents, Jess and I went out for a meal last night which was lovely however Jess got talking about her plans. She isn't sure if she wants the 'home' wedding or abroad as she has a big family.

Me personally, I would rather take a few people with us and go and do it abroad and my choice would obviously be Disney.

Jess has ordered various bits from places in Orlando in regards to weddings and has come to the conclusion that Disney charge extra 'just to get married in Disney'.

So my question for those with disney wedding experience, what do Disney offer as part of their package that others don't?

I suspect that Jess will decide that she wants her family to be there and we probably will get married in the UK, which is fine with me (although I will probably only have around 5 people on my side lol) as it will give me the advantage in where we go for our honey moon ;)

Does anyone have experience with Disney Weddings?

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

why not a blessing at home and a small wedding in Orlando?

Oreo likes this.
  3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I have suggested this. I think this if anything will be our 'compromise'.

I think it would be perfect, go get married come back have a blessing and a party.

Britchick likes this.
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah, we got married at Disney and me, being the Disney nut, arranged it all.

Without going on for pages and pages, the short summary is, they definitely charge you a premium to get married at Disney yep but then, everything at Disney is expensive so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

The good points are that you definitely feel special, it's always well arranged, you get to do things you can't otherwise do easily or at all and it adds something very special to remember the day. I wouldn't have done it anywhere else and am very pleased to have done it there.

We booked the wedding pavilion, stayed at the wilderness lodge and polynesian, had the limo take us to and from the pavilion and then around celebration for photos afterwards, then onto V&A for dinner.

I should say, I found the two planners we worked with from Disney 'orrible. The first one was so useless I changed and the second didn't care much either. The head of disney weddings phoned me and I started reading out posts on forums in which they were saying how terrible some of the planners were and he stopped me and said that they dont listen to anything from the internet as its all rubbish. Which yah know, fair point in some ways ;-) but he was supposed to be listening and reacting to my problems not just discounting it all.

Basically the problem was, the first line "planners" get promoted by showing they can deal with special projects and large weddings, so when they get a simple one, they don't, or didn't really care very much.

I'm making it sound worse than it was, the actual wedding was brilliantly done, it was just the planning was painful ;-)

A particular highlight was getting to go to the magic kingdom the next morning before the park opened, turning on the park and castle lights and having photos taken wherever we wanted. Will always remember that

Oreo and Wendy like this.
  5. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

We loved our Disney wedding too, wouldn't change it for the world :)

We had my mum and dad, Keith and his wife Helen at our wedding and then had a big party back home when we got back. We had the wedding videoed so that we could show it during the evening party.

Both hubby and I are both Disney nuts and as soon as we had the tour we knew no where else would come close but we are lucky that it didn't bother us not having a big wedding, I couldn't have done it without my mum, but that was it :)

Oreo likes this.
  6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

*sneaks in quietly and sits on the stoop to listen*

Watchinherskip and Oreo like this.
  7. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

My Mom and Step dad got married at Wilderness Lodge nearly 10 years ago now.

I wasn't involved in any of the planning so don't know what they got or the costs etc.

I will speak to them to get an idea but the posts above are helpful, so thank you :)

Ideally i'd love to be able for everyone to go, then get the best of both worlds but that isn't possible.

I don't have a big family and those who would be invited abroad would pretty much be the ones who would come if we had a wedding here.

In the end I want it to be a perfect day for Jess so I will pretty much agree to anything (within reason lol).

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

think of a price...then double it...then double it again :lol:

Beccaberry likes this.
  9. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

lol

True, however my argument is that it would be spent on us.

However if we had a holiday here that money is spent on the guests whom I might not see for a long time, if at all.

I might see if we can speak to someone at Disney in September to have a look around to get an idea of what they can offer.

Beccaberry likes this.
  10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

It's not *THAT* bad once you get into it.

If you battle through and get to someone sensible, they can lop things off the quote. For example, we already had accommodation with annual pass discount, so we were able to take off the 3 night stay that's included (2 or 3 cant remember what).

They wanted to charge extra for the wedding pavilion and wouldn't open it on a saturday but in the end they agreed to open it and didn't charge.

There are a lot of ways to save on it but you need a good contact :( some of the planners will stick very much to the script

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

For what it's worth, we attended a Disney (WDW) wedding and the details were wonderful. The food was outstanding, and the entire event seemed to go off without a hitch, so the money seemed to be well spent.

We are attending a Disneyland wedding this December. I'll let you know how that goes. I know they are spending a fortune ($1300 on the cake alone) but have chosen not to have some of the more obvious things (like Mickey and Minnie) because they felt the cost was stupid (huge amount with no photos and no dancing, so they opted out) but clearly are not afraid to spend money.

I'll let you know how it goes!

12. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:mental::mental::mental::mental:

13. Tink

14. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

yeah i guess if you're comparing to a full on do at home, shame they're not doing that deal they did a few years ago- was it the 20th Anniversary of Disney Weddings or something

15. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

If I recall, I attended that same wedding Tink.
    Was it the one where you tried to break the swanky boat at the GF on the Wishes cruise? :lol:

16. Wendy

I remember that :lol: I think that's the one she's talking about :)

17. Tink

It is!!! The same one where you were overheard asking if the cruise were going to be a kinky affair. :D :D :lol:

It was a lovely little boat, wa'nnit?

18. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

It sure is....once you get the hang of how to flush the toilet that is ! :lol:

19. Wendy

:laugh: