1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

News Disney World Annual Passholders Will Receive MagicBands By The End of March 2014

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

magic-bands-2.jpg

Cast Members at Walt Disney World have been informed that Annual Passholders will be able to customize MagicBands during the month of March.
    In the notification it said “Increasing numbers of Passholders who have linked their Passes to their My Disney Experience account will begin to see the option to customize MagicBands prior to receiving communication. As guests activate new and renewal Passes, they will see the option to customize MagicBands. The rolling process of extending this to all existing Passholders has begun and is expected to be complete by mid-March. These guests will be able to customize their MagicBands, but shipping is not expected to occur until mid-to-late March.”
    It is thought that Annual Passholders will have the same access as Guests staying on site and will be able to make reservations for FastPass+ in advance but it is unclear how many days in advance they can make the reservations.

At the moment Annual Passholders can make up to seven days of FastPass+ reservations without staying on site.

I'm glad Disney are finally doing something to include their Annual Passholders, I feel that the Florida Residents are being treated terribly by Disney, so hopefully this will be a step forward in the right direction.
    Beccaberry likes this.
  2. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

3. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

About time!
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I wonder where UK AP holders will get the bands from though. I bet they won't ship them. Perhaps just guest services at the parks

My AP seems linked to my bands from december so I've been able to make fp+ all year (for 60 days out) from MDE which is kinda good
  5. Wendy

Well the rumour was, that AP holders will only get one band. If they lose it or something goes wrong then they will have to buy a new one.
  6. keith

yeah I can believe that. I guess 1 a year when they buy an AP originally would make sense. Some other scheme for the moment to trade in a card for a band perhaps.
  7. Wendy

I think if you just re-new though you don't get another band.
  8. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

One podcast I listen to said they'd replace the first band if a replacement was needed, after that it'd be $50 per band.
  9. keith

I betcha they'll end up giving a band with every AP renewal. Remember that there's a battery in there that'll run out. Have a look here for a teardown: http://atdisneyagain.com/2014/01/27/making-the-band-magicband-teardown-and-more/

As you'll see, although they tout it as a very close range device, there's is the capability for the thing to be active transmit rather than passive and the range from a powered rfid chip could be considerable. Easily enough to track you wandering round a park.

Sooooooo, whether they start out saying "only if you need and then $50" I suspect soon they'll be giving them out like candy because they'll actively WANT you to wear one wherever you go
  10. Wendy

You are probably right Keith :)
  11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Well the least they could do is give you a band at each renewal
  12. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Imagineer

How dies this work if we've never had an AP before but would like one for our next trip this October.

Would we able able to pre purchase so that we can still use My Disney Experience to book FPs etc?
  13. keith

My feel at the moment is that you wouldnt be able to book until you had the actual AP bought not a voucher/pre-order number etc. Then once you do have the AP you'd be able to link it to your MDE account and will be able to book fp+ 60days out for a year
  14. Wendy

If you only have a voucher then you have to go to guest services to exchange it for the band. Once you have it, you will then be able to link it to your MDE.

Disney, may in the future make it possible for you to add the voucher number to MDE, but at the moment I don't think you can.
  15. keith

the reason I think that may be problematic is that someone could link a voucher and be able to book fastpasses for say another year before they activated it :)

it COULD happen but it sounds like a bit of a hole in the system to me if they allowed it
  16. Wendy

Good point, I never thought of that.
  17. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Imagineer

So I'd be better off getting the 14 day ticket through Disney so I can book the fast passes etc with DME and the upgrading once there??
  18. keith

hmmm well that's true IF you can link the 14 day ticket to DME as soon as you get it but can you? I'd have expected the same to be true, ie. you wouldn't be able to do anything until the ticket was activated

Could easily be wrong of course, last time I bought a 14day from Disney I got a "will call" receipt
  19. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

As long as you get the ticket sent to you so you can link it to your MDE account. If you're staying off site, it's got to be done in the parks on the day of your visit (currently).
  20. keith

yep... because if you're staying onsite they already have an "Anchor" for your stay and so 60 days out from an onsite stay, you should be able to make fp+s etc so the ticket doesn't really make a difference in that case.

It's different as Tony says with offsite because there's no anchor stay for them to register and say "ok they're due in on the 8th". In this case, AFAIK, you need to activate your ticket/AP, then you can link it to MDE and then everything online works. The consequence for an AP is that you'll also be able to make FP+s for the rest of the year, 60 days in advance.