1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney World on a budget

Discussion in 'Tickets, Offers and Discounts' started by Britchick, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

with prices going up and up we thought it might be a good idea to set up a new thread to discuss how best to save money at WDW.

What are your best tips? how do you get the best value for your buck?

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Brilliant idea! with flight prices now, any money saving ideas most welcome.

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

For my own vacations, I put them together piece meal and search for the best prices. I also don't mind driving and renting a car so that gives me a plethora of options.

With clients, many don't want to do all the legwork and that's great for me :) some people don't want to deal with the hassle of driving so that typically means staying on site at WDW.

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Eat offsite. A lot. :D

5. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

Don't buy drinks, get ice water from the counter service places. I know it doesn't sound like much, but saved us a fortune!

Johnie and keith like this.
  6. Britchick

I carry in bottles of water, would not think of buying water/drinks unless part of a meal

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I think a lot of people believe that security wont let you carry food/drink in, so it's a really good tip to know that you can

8. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

I also don't like carrying it around, we try to go in with no bags.

9. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I love these threads, they usually grow to be really useful resources.

OK, here's a couple I learned from my father (who worked for BA):

1) Try to book flights midweek to midweek. I, for example, usually book flights leaving and returning on a Tuesday or Wednesday, it can save a small fortune on airfares. You can usually book leave to coincide, so rather booking full weeks away from work, the leave begins and ends on a Tuesday or Wednesday (assuming a Mon-Fri working pattern).

2) During busy times of the year, when airfares are really high, it can (but not always) be cheaper to book your rental car through the airline as a package. The airlines' software accounts will often apply a cheaper airfare when adding two services. Once I booked the flight and car for cheaper than the car! Please note, this does not usually work if you're travelling in mid or low season and it means you're stuck with the airlines' preferred rental company which may not always be your first choice.

Unrelated to airfare, I usually try to make sure I have a stock of essential food and drinks wherever I'm staying (ie. hotel or villa). I buy a multipack of small bottles of water to take to the parks and some munchies which saves the cost of buying theme-park priced snacks.

MystikPiglit, Esmeralda and Britchick like this.
  10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Don't buy plush toys and Disney this and that.... you can get it all cheaper in the stores outside of WDW. Also don't buy the Disney dresses, you can get them at ASDA now for £12 or less.

11. Esmeralda

Most times it is cheaper to buy a package, like car and air fare together then ditch the hire car and go with what hire car company you want, if you want to do that and don't like the hire car company you have been assigned.

12. Esmeralda

Hiring a disabled scooter over there is cheaper than hiring the Disney one each day by far! And you get to use it in the shopping malls as well. The Disney ones you have to leave behind at Disney when you're done for the day.

13. Dawn

We have water bottles with belt clips or shoulder straps. And Adrian says cargo shorts are the best ever invention - he carries more in his pockets than we'd ever need in a park.

14. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

This is a HUGE money saving tip! You can get free ice water from any place that sells fountain drinks. I know some complain about the taste of Florida water but it's filtered. You could always bring in those little flavoring packets. We get the free ice water all of the time!

15. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Jon says the same! Though in September we stuffed so much in his pockets he had to wear a belt to keep his shorts up!

Esmeralda likes this.
  16. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:lol: that's the same problem Chris gets :lol:

17. Britchick

i have visions of lots of men laden down with overfull cargo trousers :lol:

18. Beccaberry

Oh! We also ask for Disney Gift Cards for occasions like birthdays and holidays, and whenever we get "unexpected" money (rebates, ebates, bonuses, etc) we convert them to Disney G/C and tuck them away.

One thing I just started dabbling in...our local grocery store (who also sells fuel) offers "cents off" on your gas when you use your loyalty card. So, for every hundred dollars you spend in the grocery store, you get .10 off their current gas price. Occasionally, they will offer double, triple, or even quadruple gas points on gift cards. When they do this, I purchase Disney gift cards, gift cards to local restaurants we eat at, and department stores we frequent etc.

It's basically like getting an extra bang for your buck. So for instance, we were in charge of purchasing Jon's mom's Christmas present from him and his sisters this year. We'd decided to purchase a "pull-behind trailer" for her riding lawn mower from Home Depot for around $300. His sisters put in their money, we put in ours - then we went to Stop & Shop and purchased a Home Depot G/C in the amount of $300. We purchased the trailer online on Home Depot (through ebates), using the gift card. I found a $10 promo code online, made $9 through ebates, and came out with 1200 gas points (equaling $1.20 off gas up to 30 gallons). Because we'd already budgeted $300 for this particular item - we ended up with a total of $55 in savings...which I then turned around and purchased another $50 Disney G/C (and received another 200 gas points :) ) We did this with LOADS of our gifts this year! Jon bought gas just yesterday for only $1.30/gallon! A word of caution if you try this, gas points DO expire, so make sure you use them!

19. Dawn

Yes but none of them have to be searched at security.

20. Beccaberry

:censored: :ROFL:

Britchick likes this.