1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney World on a budget

Discussion in 'Tickets, Offers and Discounts' started by Britchick, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

The only time I wear cargo shorts is at the parks - they're perfect. Although I did buy a couple of plastic clips (souvenirs from the Smithsonian) that let me clip drinks bottles onto my belt. I only ever use them at the parks too.

Getting back to the money-saving ideas, I'm soon going to do some sums about purchasing some non-expiring Disney tickets in advance. I think it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a quantity at the current price and use them as/when I get out there.
  2. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I would love to hear some tips on how others are able to save money....the only way I see anyone can save money is by taking advantage of theSpecial Offers that Disney offers. The only way we can afford to visit every year is by using the free dining offer.... According to Disney we are a family of 4 aduts so the free dining saves us a lot of money... We drive to WDW so are able to bring a cooler which we fill with bottled water and beer bought off site. We also bring snacks . I guess one tip I can offer is that the Hess stations sells beer and soda at reasonable rates compared to the hotel stores. So if you are on property without a car try and hit the Hess Station for soda beer and snacks
  3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Which IMO is ridiculous. I could conceivably carry a weapon in my pockets.
  4. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

On that note...in September, anticipating spending a good portion of time at the resort, we checked a bag with a handle of vodka, a selection of breakfast foods, snacks, and large sized toiletries (inc sunscreen). We were flying Jetblue, so the first checked bag was free, but even at the standard $25 fee for checked bags on other airlines, it would have been well worth the cost for the vodka alone. We would fill a water bottle with vodka, bring our refillable mugs down to the pool and sip our afternoon away on the lazy river at the Beach Club :) we probably saved hundreds of dollars.
  5. Johnie

More money saving tips that I use are:

1. I own a timeshare and can exchange a week for less than $200. There are tons of condos in Orlando so we do that quite frequently

2. It's usually only Alysia and I traveling so we share meals. I don't eat a whole lot in one sitting plus I don't like being overly full when it's so hot out (which is most of the year)

3. We always have a car. Whether we drive or rent. It is cheaper for us to do that and go offsite to eat, get snacks, shop

4. We travel as a party of 2 most of the time. It is significantly cheaper to travel that way

5. I buy an annual pass every year. It's a pricey purchase but it saves us money. I wouldn't go as often as I do if I had to buy tickets each time. Wait..... Maybe that isn't saving money lol

6. I live relatively close to WDW so if we fly, flights aren't crazy. We are also very fortunate that we have AirTran/Southwest and Jet Blue here. It wasn't too many years ago when Richmond, VA was one of the most expensive airports in the US

7. When we have gone for short trips, Priceline and Hotwire have been my friends. We stayed near the AK entrance last May for $35 night. Hotel was clean and safe. That's truly all I need in a room.

8. I have shared rooms on site with friends. I was able to stay at the Polynesian one birthday because if that!

9. I always save change. It adds up very quickly

10. I used to put all of my found money (rebates and the like) in my Disney money account. I need to get back to doing that.

I'm sure I'll think of more.
    Tony G likes this.
  6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

That's a fantastic idea! Next time Keef goes I will share a room with him and Helen :D

He won't even know I'm there.............. I get a bit gassy but that's all. I could snuggle in between them!
    Tony G likes this.
  7. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I just remembered another one - make good use of the Disney Character Warehouse stores in the outlet malls. For those who haven't seen them, they are official Disney outlets, so sell a plethora of stuff that is no longer stocked in the parks. The discounts there are HUGE and well worth a trip for all those gifts you 'have' to buy ;).

Another bargain paradise is Theme Park Connection, who have recently relocated. They sell all kinds of used Disneyana and stuff from Universal too. A lot of it can't be purchased anywhere else and has even been used inside the theme parks! Remember the 2014 merchandise Wendy posted recently? So many posted that they liked the trash cans - well how would you like a real one? They had a couple last time I was there! Their lithographs are a steal - they're unbelievable quality and are range from $3 to around $15 for packs of three or four. They have an ebay store too.

I should point out that I have no affiliation with any of these companies, I've just used them and would recommend them.
  8. Beccaberry

Oooh! I've never heard of theme park connection before...I'll have to check them out!
  9. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Our biggest money saver...get a Disney Visa card and purchase EVERYTHING on it. Groceries, gas, home improvements, etc. Pay it off every month if you can (we have been able to do so thank God) and before you know it you have all the money you need for onsite stay, and hopper package. That is how we funded the last 3 or 4 trips. The only real cost then is a cheap flight from Virginia and some spending money.
  10. Johnie

oops wrong thread!
    Watchinherskip likes this.
  11. Johnie

Dan,

That sounds like a great savings for you! In theory, I would say I would do that. And I might for a bit. Then something happens and bam! I've just got more debt. I am not to be trusted with credit cards.....
  12. Beccaberry

Jon and I have toyed with doing this. We currently have one credit card left to pay off before we "take the plunge" though :)
  13. Watchinherskip

Becca, it really adds up. In essence the last trips were kind of a gift. I mean we have to buy groceries and buy gas all the time. What is the difference in paying for it all at once and getting 1% back in Disney dollars?
  14. Watchinherskip

It took a while in Sally's and my life to be able to do that. At the beginning of our teaching careers, we always carried a balance just in order to live. I remember my starting salary as a teacher here in VA was about $9000 a year. I didn't even have a bed for the first two or three months I camped in a sleeping bag in my apartment. We were so broke. Glad those days are over.
    Beccaberry likes this.
  15. Beccaberry

I bet they certainly make you appreciate the days you have now even more though :)
    Watchinherskip likes this.
  16. Beccaberry

It makes SUCH sense, really. We used the "mileage" from the card we currently have towards our flights this past September...it made a HUGE dent in the bottom line. But we do have a balance we're carrying from last year when I was flying so much to be with my dad, so we're determined to pay that off and then switch over to the Disney Visa.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  17. Watchinherskip

I know Becca, I totally understand and oh know those were for a good amount of time tortured miles. Hopefully it won't take long for you to get that card done. A big hit was when we had our kitchen remodeled. It is amazing how many Disney dollars a granite counter top can earn! Sheeesh
  18. Beccaberry

Absolutely true! Or, in our case last month, the unexpected need for a new washing machine just before Christmas!
  19. Johnie

I cannot get a Disney Visa, you have to have almost pristine credit. While I've worked hard to have a "pretty good" score, it is not pristine :-(
  20. Badlydrawnkel

Badlydrawnkel Addicted to Mickey

They don't offer these in the UK though do they? i have a top score credit rating and would love to earn some Disney dollar!