1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disney World sued by mom of boy killed in bus accident

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Isafari, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

From the Orlando Sentinel.....

The mother of Chase Brubaker, the 9-year-old killed at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Lodge in April, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S.and Disney bus driver David R. Rich.

Brubaker, of Redington Beach, died after he struck the side of a passing Disney bus and was pulled under its rear wheels. The Florida Highway Patrol blamed a flat bicycle tire for the fatality, saying the child’s dirt bike was in “unsafe condition.”

The lawsuit, filed late last week in Orlando’s Circuit Court, blames sidewalk conditions and the park bus system for the death.

It states that pedestrians often must step off the sidewalk and onto the roadway or an unpaved wetland area to avoid other cyclists and pedestrians. Railings and steep gullies stop people from stepping toward the interior of the park when trying to pass others, according to the complaint

“Consequently, contact between a pedestrian and a bus or vehicle was reasonably foreseeable to occur and therefore cause serious injury or death to the pedestrian,” the lawsuit claims.

On the day of the collision, the bus driven by David Rich was heading south on Big Pine Road in Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, the suit says. Chase Brubaker was on his bicycle wearing a safety helmet, riding on the sidewalk and heading south as well, before the collision.

The suit says Disney “owed a duty of care to its invitees…to ensure that the bus system was operated such that it was free from hazards that were reasonably foreseeable to cause death or serious injuries.”

It also should have a road system free of such hazards as well, the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit calls for damages in excess of $15,000.

Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez cited the FHP report and said the driver was found to be not at fault. She added, however, “it doesn’t lessen the sadness we feel for the Brubaker family.” She also said it is “inappropriate to comment further as the matter is in litigation.”

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah could see that one coming a mile off. $15k, nuisance suit or they'd be asking for a heck of a lot more. No doubt Disney will settle

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

For $15k? That's not even worth taking to court. The lawyers would charge more than that just to say "hello" (present company excluded).

Tom :)macwave:... kind of strange...)

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

very true :yes:

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if that case were thrown out of court.

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I would hope that it is. I am all for complete responsibility, but that is not clear here.

With the tragic case of the monorail accident, that was (in my opinion of course) clearly Disney's fault. Their management system failed and a cast member died. If anyone deserves compensation for heartache and loss it's that family.

I'm sorry this child died. More than the family would ever believe, but I don't see where it's a clear cut result of something WDW did in negligence.

7. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I just think that is just such a small amount in terms of what has happened? i think it says quite alot to be honest!

8. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I cant understand why any parent would want to make money out of the loss of a child