Disney World

Discussion in 'Intro's and Welcomes!' started by ashdogg, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ashdogg

ashdogg New Member

Hey everyone ,

Im starting to plan my trip to disneyworld. I am going on Oct 27, will be there for Haloween. Just wondering if anyone has any great tips for first timers on which hotel to stay in and any other info you have.

2. catrancher

catrancher New Member

Once again, technology and such.
    Hi ashdogg... and welcome!

:spraywelcome:

Are you planning to stay on Disney property at one of the resorts?

Also, you if you're going to be there in October, you may want to do Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP).

Tom :)macwave:... a Headless Horseman has been spotted in the Magic Kingdom!)

3. foreverducky

foreverducky New Member

The resorts have different themes so check them all out and see which one draws you in. :yes:

Halloween should be a blast! The weather will be nice!

Don't forget to eat at a character meal...I personally love Chef Mickey's for breakfast! A great way to start off a day at the Magic Kingdom.

I almost forgot...Welcome! :D

4. ashdogg

ashdogg New Member

Thanks for all the info, I am not sure if I will be staying at one of the Disney resorts or not. That's why I was asking for others peoples opinions because I want to know which is the best way to go to stay at the Disney resorts outside of Orlando ?

Thanks for the haloween tip, great idea.

5. catrancher

catrancher New Member

When we go, we won't stay anywhere EXCEPT at a Disney resort on site. Our usual favorite is Port Orleans Riverside although we've stayed in others also.

We usually end up going for a week. We drive down, I park our car at the resort, I take my brain out and lay it on the front seat, lock the car, and don't see any of it again for a week. :mental:
    We let Disney provide our transportation using their boats, buses, and monorails. This is one of the benefits you get staying onsite. :thumbsup:

Beyond the transportation, by staying at a Disney resort, you're immersed in the ambience that is Disney. The theming, the Cast Members, the special things that make it Disney. Like a hotel wakeup call from Mickey. As far as we're concerned, it's the only way to see Disney World. :yes:

And believe me, if it's your first time and you're staying for a week or less, you won't run out of things to do and see! We've been numerous times. All for about a week and we never run out of things to see and do!

Tom :)macwave:... seriously!)

6. arkvilla

arkvilla Active Member

Vicar's Assistant
    :wave: Hi and welcome to Secrets.

I can't help with resorts but can help with offsite stuff like restaurants, other things to do etc - and of course villas :smile:

Sandra

7. foreverducky

foreverducky New Member

I only stay onsite too. (However, my brain is usually left at home, as I tend to fly to WDW). I love all the perks of staying onsite and to me the biggest is the transportation. I don't have to worry about getting anywhere. Oh and I love having my shopping bags sent to the resort. No need to carry them around.

8. Tinkfan

Tinkfan New Member

nurse/teacher
    Have to agree with the others, on site it is. There are a wide range of prices to fit every budget. Not having to drive while you're there is great and if you fly you have free pick up by Magical Express. We always use the dining plan while we're there. It's not for everyone but we enjoy a sit down every night. I also like that the meals are pre-payed for as well. We pay out of pocket for breakfast and use the counter service for lunch. We've been to Disney many times and are never bored!! have fun and welcome..

9. chief

chief New Member

mum
    :thumbsup:well we are going on our first trip 23 march this year and we decided to stay in a villa because the cost was a huge amount cheaper for us. we booked tickets to disney and universal and kenedy and that cost £1200 a lot more than we thought! also with the dollar so low we needed to save somewhere- so a villa it is:yes:

10. ashdogg

ashdogg New Member

Yah thats what i thought, I most likely will be staying at one of the Hotels on the Disney property, if not fairly close. Also how many days would you say it would take to go through all the parks, as well universal studios?

11. chief

chief New Member

mum
    well we are going for two weeks and i have done an itinnery which allows 1 visit to each of the parks: magic kingdom: epcot: animal kingdom: hollywood studios as well as universal studios: universal island of adventure as well as the water parks. i've been told to allow 2 days for epcot and to include rest days? sounds busy eh?:thumbsup:

12. ashdogg

ashdogg New Member

haha wow, i am only planning for 5 days, definately not enough time then, or it will just be super packed..lol

13. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hello ashdogg and welcome to Disney Secrets!

The first thing to do is determine how much you want to spend on your lodging. Then decide if you plan on having your own transport or not. Those two decisions will help you decide where you want to stay; on or off property, ect.

WDW truly has something for everyone from price, to theme to location, so take a look at the options.

Five days? You'll spend them all at WDW and need longer, so unless you want to miss quite a bit, don't plan on doing Universal this visit. :)

There are some very nice and reasonable hotels off site, too so don't think you have to stay on WDW property.

Looking forward to helping with your trip!

14. Slowhand

Slowhand Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Retired
    Tink is spot on there. :thumbsup:
    As this is your first visit, unless you have your own transport and therefore don`t have to rely on any shuttle service to WDW from your off-site hotel, if your funds can stretch to a stay on site at one of the WDW Resorts then this is definitely the best approach in order to maximise your limited time there.

15. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    We always allow at least 2 days for each park although Epcot is so huge that it can easily take more. AK is IMHO very underrated. I love this park and can spend hours just looking at the animals, although it can be one of the hottest and tiring parks to visit. My least favourite is HS. Apart from the big rides I don't really like much else there. The resorts are really lovely just to go and have a look round. No matter how many times you go to the parks there will always be places that you overlook and that will mean you'll have to go again.:yes::yes:

16. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm telling you Piglet, we were separated at birth! :D

Yes, AK is a wonderful park full of detail and nuances. You can rush through and miss it all, or you can savor your time there and enjoy every minute. It's more than a theme park and "nahtazoooo!" LOL.

17. Tinkfan

Tinkfan New Member

nurse/teacher
    :wave: Make that three of us, my least favorite is HS, my favorite is Epcot and then AK. I love the grounds at AK!! Love the animals, love the beauty of the park itself. I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I do more looking than riding these days! DS is just beginning to see why I like Epcot over the MK! ( not that I don't like the MK mind you, I just like Epcot more!) just noticed this should be my 1000's post. :yes:

18. ashdogg

ashdogg New Member

Wow thanks guys for all your great tips, Yah i changed my mind about going for 5 days to 7, just didnt realize how much there is to see and to do in such little time.

So Far these are the list of hotels that i have been looking into, If anyone has stayed there let me know you thoughts on them.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 186pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=248><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 186pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 9069" width=248><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 186pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=20 width=248>Sheraton Safari Lake Buena Vista</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=21>Best Western Orlando Getaway</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=20>Radisson Resort Orlando -Celebration</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=20>Crowne Plaza Universal Orlando</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=20>Vacation Villas</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=20>Best Western Lakeside</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

19. Mari

Mari New Member

boring
    We also prefer to stay onsite...

that way we dont have to worry about ANYTHING...

and we rarely leave Disney... maybe for 1 day just to do shopping...

if you plan to spend all or most of your time at Disney, then staying onsite makes things easier, eveyrthing is closer, you dont have to worry about transportation, can have whatever you buy sent to your resort, take advantage of the extra magic hours, etc...

20. catrancher

catrancher New Member

What Mari said! :yes:

Even for seven days, you won't run out of things to do at Disney World and staying on site, right in the Magic makes it so much easier!

Tom :)macwave: ...wish I were onsite right about now!)