1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disneyland California

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort and California Adventure' started by Britchick, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

How different is this to WDW? would i be really disapointed that i hadn't gone to WDW? what other parks are there? how many days to do the 2 disney parks? thanks

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Well I went prepared last year or so I thought and I was still shocked by how small the castle is and how much smaller everything at DL is. It is not WDW by a long shot. It's still fun and it's the original. The weather is perfect and the CM's seem a whole lot nicer. The other park is California Adventure. it's weird to see things you find in some of the WDW parks just shoved into DL.

3. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i was just looking Johnie, i'm trying to compromise with the family :unsure: but i NEED a disney fix!

4. Johnie

Don't get me wrong, we did enjoy California a lot. Just be prepared to be underwhelmed by DL. California Adventure is completely awesome though.

We totally loved the beaches and Grauman's chinese theater and all of that. We had a great time.

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i was thinking we could combine with a road trip to san diego and san francisco, the other thing that may happen is that friends of ours may be posted to Hawaii so we could go there

6. Johnie

There you go, that sounds like a good compromise!

7. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

We are off there for the thirs time in just under three weeks and we love it there. I would go you have nothing to lose. :yes:

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

have you been to WDW too Mandy? what else is there there? where do you stay? bet you wished you hadn't replied LOL:tongue:

9. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

Yes! Been to WDW twice.
    There's knotts berry farm, six flags magic mountain, Universal Studios which are all theme parks. Lots of things to do just depends on what you like to do really.:)

10. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I really enjoyed Universal Studios in CA, but it's been ages and I mean ages since I was there!

11. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

If you just want to hit the hight points, two days at DL/CA would do it. If you want to spend a bit more time, plan three or four days. And, remember, those attractions "crammed into Disneyland" originated there, for the most part! It's WDW that spread them out! :lol:

The parks are much smaller than those at WDW, which also makes them more crowded during high season--particularly summer. When we were there in July, 2006, it felt like July 4th 1976! I had never seen the park (only DL at that time) that busy at any time prior to that!

There is more detail in Disneyland that the MK, although MK definitely has stepped up the detail in the past few years with renovations. IASW comes to mind--it always disappointed me at WDW until the last renovation. Even if you don't like "the dolls," it's still more of an experience at Disneyland--to me, at least! :)

I've only been to CA once--in 2006. Didn't get to see a lot, as Leu's DD is not a morning person and we weren't able to access the parks without her. Soarin' over California is a tad better there than at EPCOT. Did get to see the Electrical Parade--formerly the Main Street Electrical Parade. Still love that thing! Even though it has been shortened over the years! :D

We always did day trips to DL when I lived there--it was only about a 1-hour drive in those days. Now it's close to 2 hours--off peak! :eek: Leu has stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a few times with her DS, DDIL and their two children over the years. Usually just one night, though. And we stayed one night at the Grand Californian in 2006. :thumbsup:

The Howard Johnson's just outside of the parks has a good reputation, and is considerably less expensive than the official Disney resorts. And the DL/CA resorts don't offer the perks of EMH the way WDW resorts do, so it's less essential to stay on site. You might want to research that a bit--I'm using 2006 information and memory. And said memory has been known to be a bit faulty at times! :lol:

You and your family did a western US road trip before Jon was reassigned to the UK, didn't you? So you have an idea of the distances involved--the California attractions are not as compact as the Orlando area, unfortunately. But combining a west coast visit with a visit to Hawaii would be eminently do-able, and give you a travel break in the process. :thumbsup:

12. Johnie

Well Taja, you have to admit after the vastness that is WDW, it is shocking to see how small everything is at DL. And it is weird to see innoventions in MK. And Fantasmic shown there as well......

Which reminds me.....when the CM's ask you to compare how you like DL over WDW....just tell them your having a great time :tongue: They get a bit defensive. I learned quickly :thumbsup:

13. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

And Fantasmic originated at Disneyland! :lol:

I usually just say that I love both locations! :D

14. Johnie

Touche! I stand corrected :tongue:

I didn't say it wasn't a wonderful place, it is just much, much different and that does take some getting used to if your used to WDW.

15. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

I know! When I first visited WDW in 1981--and it was only MK at the time--I found it terribly disappointing! Well, I was on a short vacation and it was different, so how bad could it be? :lol:

Fast forward to 2003 and I'm now a huge WDW fan! I enjoy it more than Disneyland, primarily because of the extra space. And I'm on a longer holiday, which makes it even better! :lol:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  16. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Juli, my DH is mad to do this next year and l need more persuading. We want to do San Fran for a week and then LA for a week. He has done alot of work over in LA and San Diego as says l would love it.

17. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

Go for it Siobhan you won't regret it, San Diego is lovely too we went there on out last visit and will be going again. We will be going to San Diego Zoo and my DH want to go to the USS Midway Museums. There is also Sea world, but we have already been there so we are going to give this a miss this time. There are other places as well is all depends on what you like to do. :)

18. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Well remembered Taja! yes we did travel a lot and don't think twice about travelling a long distance!

its definitely worth looking into. thanks for your help

19. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

If you need anymore help just shout and I will do my best to help. :)

20. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

thank you :hug2: