1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disneyland Paris 2012- Day one!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by josh.p., Mar 18, 2012.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I think I woke up about 6am on our first day as I was just too excited! :happybounce: A quick shower and a last minute check of my lists, and before I know it, Jade & Joe (Jade's boyfriend) were here (with Niamh too!) to head to the airport :yes: On our way to the airport Niamh is high as a kite and won't let go of her Jessie & Woody dolls. We're trying to prepare her for the fact they're going to have to go through the security scanner when we get to the airport but she doesn't seem too pleased about that so until then we listen to the Disney CD (with the Toy Story theme tune on repeat :rotfl:) and before you know it we're at the airport! We all wave bye to Joe's car and go through check-in.

Check-in was a bit like being at Gringott's bank. The check-in staff just seemed to grunt and point but we didn't mind as we were going to DISNEY :happybounce: We get Niamh to put her stuff through the scanner by telling her they are practising for the rides at Disneyland :rotfl:
    [​IMG]

Once through check in and security, we go for our breakfast. We keep Niamh quiet during breakfast with the iPad..
    [​IMG]
    After breakfast, a quick browse of duty free... Niamh, sounding very concerned shouted out "UNCLE JOSH! I FORGOT MY SUNGLASSES!" she then runs over to the sunglasses stand and chooses a £200 pair of D&G's! [​IMG]
    After some persuasion (read: bribery) she chooses a much more reasonable pair of children's sunglasses for a fiver and she seems very happy with them. Much posing ensues...
    [​IMG]

A pretty uneventful flight. Only one minor blip when the cabin crew ask why Niamh isn't on Jade's lap. We explain that she is three and we've paid for her to have her own seat (as required by law!) Anyway, Niamh having her own seat is causing much confusion to the cabin crew, who say she has been checked in as an under two and apologise for the mistake. It does worry me that a member of check-in staff can mark her as an under two, when he has her passport and various other documents with her D.O.B on right in front of him! Anyway, the cabin crew apologised and brought Niamh some crayons :yes: as well as some drinks for the rest of us :yes:.

Once landed, our luggage is first off the carousel and all together. A miracle? Maybe some Disney magic! After a quick journey to the hotel, we check in, practically throw our stuff in the room and go to the parks for the last hour or two before they close :yes:

The weather is a bit cloudy and absolutely freezing! We take a few pictures in front of the castle but I'm not too pleased with them because of the moody sky in the background :sigh:
    [​IMG]

We get a few 'Niamh' rides done, The Dumbos, The Carousel etc etc. and Joe & I even manage to sneak off and go on Space Mountain :yes:. Everyone is feeling a bit tired and Niamh is close to having a tantrum so we decide to call it a night for the parks, and go for something to eat.

[​IMG]

Just as we exit the 'god voice' is playing telling everyone that the park is closed. As it turns out, it's 8pm and the park is closing anyway! Time definitely flies when you're having fun. It's already past Niamh's bedtime and she's not even had tea yet so we go for what should have been a quick bite to eat. However, because of the crowds pouring out of the parks, Disney Village is heaving and we ended up in a sports bar. Niamh & I had a cheese sandwich, and Jade & Joe had hotdogs. Niamh also had some sort of chocolatey pudding that she got all over her face.
    [​IMG]

Niamh nods off on the bus for a little bit, it's well past 10pm by the time we get back to the hotel room and then we remember that we have reservations for Café Mickey for breakfast and set our wake-up call. Niamh is clearly still hyper from her chocolate mess and the fact we're in DISNEYLAND and having breakfast with Mickey the next morning. She finally finally gets to sleep at a ridiculous hour and we all nod off to sleep. :yes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

I can't see the photos Josh :unsure:
  3. josh.p.

Argh! Nor can I. They worked last night. Will update in a bit
  4. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Thanks for this Josh :yes: , I was there the day after Space Mountain opened and it was a thing of wonder - first coaster in the world to have a synchronised soundtrack, and the first Disney coaster to have a slingshot start.

Discovery land was a gordeous area at the beginning as everything was themed along Jules Verne themes, so it remained fuuristic without ever looking dated unlike the whites in Tomorrow land.

The first incarnation had long French flags draped and it was supposed to be set in an olde worlde science fair with classical music playing as you queued and then took off. The newer techno beats are funky but utterly ruin the cohesion of the ieda , the smoke hasn't worked for years out of the canon and its become rather 'rattly' as well - still a cool ride but I used to actually love it, sigh.

Looking forward to part 2 and really interested to see what you think about the rest :D

God voice lol
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Sounds like she did very well for a little one! Looking forward to the next installment!
  6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Great report Josh! :thumbsup:

But... but... but... I wanna see! :eye:

Tom :)macwave:... invisipics don't work too good.)
  7. josh.p.

So.. pictures are added, from photobucket... and now the attached pictures decide to work, just not in the right places... Hmm..
  8. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:D Thank you for sharing Josh, your little Princess looks like she's enjoying herself :lol:
  9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Thanks for sharing Josh. Niamh looks like she is having lots of fun.
  10. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I so love to hear your excitement practically ooooooze from you writing :)

Sounds like a fun time so far, and the photos are precious. Absolutely precious.
  11. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

D&G sunglasses? Someone is doing a good job raising her! She knows quality! Hahahahha :)

Great report! The pics are amazing !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Great trip report Josh! And even better pictures! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:.... waiting on deuxième partie!)
  14. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Thanks for sharing your memories Josh, it seems like you had a ball. :thumbsup:
    I must somehow get to "do" DLP one of these days.
  15. josh.p.

I do feel that the park design was a lot more spaced out and the character interactions were a lot more relaxed (sometimes too relaxed though.. parents crowding around characters and one even stepped in front of Niamh & I!!) than at WDW. The aerosmith ride was a LOT better than the WDW counterpart however the story didn't flow as well. The same goes for Space Mountain.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the cast members. The only time we had a *little* niggle was with the cast members at Café Mickey's but I think the lad who served us wasn't overly confident with his English and it came across as rude, but we were understanding about that as we don't speak French either!! :rotfl:

A definite 'must do' if you want a quick Disney fix.
  16. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Aw... I still think you should have gone for the D&G sunglasses though :D
  17. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I love the first picture. She looks so proper with her lovely tailored jacket and suitcase. :yes: