Disneyland Paris Announces Emergency Meeting

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort Paris News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

Executives at Disneyland Paris have announced that there will be an emergency meeting on the 6th October at 7am. It is thought that the only item that will be discussed is the financial situation of the Company.

Things are not looking good at DLP, they hoped that with the opening of Ratatouille park attendance would grow. Unfortunately, attendance figures are continuing to fall and things are reaching crisis point.

I wonder what will happen, could this be the end!

2. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    There've been a lot of rumours over the last week that it could be the end, but I kinda doubt it. Given the huge stake WDW has with last years refinancing, I suspect it could be a plan to improve possibly with job losses and/or corporate reorganisation. I'd be surprised if it came to "closure" but then again who knows

3. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I think they made a mistake with Disneyland in France they should have had it in the U K or Spain

4. Wendy

Completely agree with you Robert.

5. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Oh gosh! That's pretty bad, that a Disney might go belly up.

I have to agree though, having it in the UK would have been the better choice, I think. Maybe Spain, but I don't know much about Spain, so I don't know if it gets a lot of visitors. I would imagine so?

Do you think France was a location thing, a political thing, or a financial thing? :unsure:

Maybe, just maybe there are only supposed to be two Disneys? :unsure:

6. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    Oh dear I have a share in this company yikes.......

7. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    I think the price really putting people off and CMs are not that on the ball unlike WDW me think

8. robertcraig

retired
    I have never visited Disney land Paris after W D W I think it would be a poor second best

9. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    Well having read Marty Sklars's book recently, it seems that there ended up being 3 possible sites after 1 in france having been ruled out due to the type of foundation. Many people thought Spain would ace it becaue of the climate but in the end the French financial offer along with the location being central for Europe won out. The book pretty much explains that with the Tokyo park, Disney had learnt that the government had to be completely committed to make it work and France just seemed to want it more.

I don't think it would've worked in the UK either :( I say that with a heavy heart but climate, attitude to customer service etc. just wouldn't have done it.

I couldn't really believe how bad Disney Paris was when I went. I must've looked like a right clown when I stood at the end of a queue only to have everyone just rush the door of the attraction leaving me standing there on my own in a cloud of dust. I remember looking over to a couple of CMs who were smoking a little way away and they shrugged at me and kept talking French. That's my enduring memory of DLP.

A good friend, single dad, is planning at the moment to take his son to DLP for a long weekend. We tried all the DLP hotels and the cheapest Disney offer was about £800 ($1300) for 3/4 nights. I mean WOW we're like, 30 mins from the place by plane :lol: He then started trying to diy cheap flights, perhaps train etc... but again, sums up DLP to me, typical EU prices but without the climate, fun, size, attitude, customer service of the States.

perhaps so!

As I was leaving DLP, I popped into the Downtown Disney equivalent and wandered into a shop feeling very unimpressed. A lady came over, asked if she could help and I explained how rubbish the day had been. Anyway she went off, came back with a drink, gave me a discount on some snowglobes and some little freebies Disney pens and the like to take back with me. As she was saying hope to see you again I noticed her name tag and it said that she was from WDW Florida as her location. I know where my true Disney is :yes:

10. robertcraig

retired
    If there was a Disney Park I n Spain or a Greek island I might go

11. Tink

Wow, that is an impressive ending, Keith. I would definitely like to see each Disney park, but I can honestly say, if I were in France, I'm not sure I'd take the time out to see a theme park instead of touring the countryside.

12. sarah

sarah New Member

We spent a day at DLP this summer it cost me £250 ish for the day!
    But I knew that and was prepared to pay.
    It definitely didn't have "that something special" but we enjoyed it, we had a meal in crown plaza and had to keep asking for another refillable drink if we could find our server!! That was the only downside we had, xx
    Would like to go back but soooo expensive

13. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

If it wasn't so blooming expensive is go for a few days each year! They should have built it in the UK, the site they were looking at is only an hour away from me! Sigh :(

14. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I have been once and was very disapointed.

The biggest problem (apart from it being more expensive than it's florida equiverlant on a nightly basis) is the weather. It is very similar to that of the UK and you have more chance of rain than sun. The other biggest problem is the fact the CM's are french. They just don't do customer service like the American's.

For me they made a mistake not taking it to Spain for both the weather and the people aspect.

15. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    I hate it. Close the gates, as far as I'm concerned. It's giving Disney a bad name.

16. Tink

I don't think the Disney corporation owns DLP, or the other non-USA based Disney parks, do they? :unsure:

17. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak New Member

Accounting Manager
    Tink, I believe they are still majority owners.

18. Wendy

Disney Corporation owns a 40% share in Euro Disney which is Disneyland Paris. Oh how I wish it wasn't so :sigh:

France/the French have been the undoing of DLP.

19. Tink

Oh, see? I didn't know. I'm hopeless (and finding excrutiatingly boring) when it come to big business and high finance. This will be interesting to see, won't it? I hope it all works out.
    I do wonder if they will launch a massive retraining campaign?

20. Wendy

The problem is they can try re-training, but unless they are going to employ people other than the French nothing will change. I think it was one of the conditions of the French government when the building of DLP was approved that they had to employ French workers as the majority of staff.