1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Disneyland Resort (California) hotels

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Britchick, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I was wondering what benefits there are to staying on site in the Disneyland Resort- the rooms are quite expensive. Has anyone stayed at any or can anyone recommend a good neighbour hotel?

2. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Last trip, I stayed some distance away - half way between Disney and Hollywood. The theory was that I would have a reasonable journey wherever I was going. This was a mistake - travel is so difficult during peak rush hours that even short journeys can take forever.

Pick a hotel within walking distance (there are a few right outside the gates) or one of the Disneyland official hotels to save yourself the trouble.

I'm afraid I can't recommend one though, I was miles away last trip! If it helps, I understand the Disneyland hotel has recently been renovated, though.

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

In 2005 Donna and I stayed at the Grand Californian. I honestly don't remember what our view was but the hotel didn't seem as much "Disney" as most of the hotels at WDW do. One advantage to that hotel is that there is one exit that takes you right into Disney's California Adventure. I've heard lots of good things about the good neighbor hotels but have never stayed in one.

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Since everything is literally so close to Disneyland/CA, I really see no benefit to staying on site. We actually stayed at The Embassy Suites a few miles away. They had a free shuttle that dropped us off right in front of the entrance. Many of the Good Neighbor hotels use a shuttle and there is a charge for it plus I have read that it can be quite crowded.

5. Britchick

That's great thank you, any idea what the crowds will be like in September? Hoping it will be quieter like WDW at that time

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Crowds weren't too bad at that time of the year when we went, but that was 9 years ago.

One problem with going in September is that the castle is all boarded up getting ready for Christmas and the haunted mansion was closed for preparations for Halloween.

7. montymouse

montymouse Imagineer

Hi, we went in August 2009 and stayed in Best Western Stovalls Inn. Good value, clean and very close. Could walk to Down Town Disney easily in 10 mins. Cut through the Grand Californian to get to parks quicker, that looked really nice but not worth the high cost. We are going again this summer and will be staying at Stovalls again, has a great restaurant next door too.

8. Britchick

Would be great to hear if it's still good. I'm definitely erring on the side of staying off site. Have you been many times? :)

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I've heard great things about that one

10. montymouse

montymouse Imagineer

We've only been the once - it really was a holiday of a lifetime! This year we are planning 5 days in Vegas then 5 at Stovalls Inn (for Disney) and 5 at Hilton Universal (for Hollywood & Universal) I am a Florida Fan and thought Disneyland would not be as good, but i absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back, especially for Carsland! Stovalls Inn still gets good reviews on Trip Advisor so fingers crossed.

11. Britchick

that sounds like fun! looking forward to hearing about it :)